18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Guidance on Glock slides for optic mount.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your time.

I didn't know about Aim Surplus so I'll take a look there.

Sounds like I was overthinking the plate vs. direct fit issue. I suppose the plate raises the optic a little but probably not worth stressing about.

A good plate and screws are important. The https://www.calculatedkinetics.us/ that Yatooza recommended is a good one. I like https://eleven71design.com/ and https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/. I use all three of these.
 
I got a Brownell's a few years back with an RMR cut for my gen 3 17. At the time it had slide side cuts only which I did want for dirt issues. I got it anyway for price and good reviews. It works fine but has some slide noise when racking. Last year they went on sale again and I got one for my gen 3 26 and had it cut a Warner Machining for $80. It works great and has front serrations. The slide kits for both weren't shipping from Glock at the time for both so I got the Brownell ones. I got the stainless recoil spring assemblies from the Glock Store. Be carful the red dot screws are not to long.
 
The OEM Glock slides look good and are priced reasonably but it seems like the Holosun SCS and the Noblex NV OS are the only optics that will fit without an adapter plate. Optic screwed to adapter plate and adapter plate screwed to gun seems like a weak point to me but perhaps I'm overthinking this.

Brownell's slides are also reasonably priced and come with the RMR cut which gives a better choice of direct fit optic.

I’d appreciate any guidance.

Get an OEM Glock slide with the MOS cut and run the Holosun SCS.
There's no setup as good as that regardless of the footprint.
The optic matches up perfectly with the slide and the window is flush to the top of the slide so you can co-witness standard height iron sights.
I have not seen any RMR footprint optics that could sit as low as an SCS because you can't cut a glock slide much deeper then the MOS cut.
Taller footprint optics all require higher sights, especially when you have a sub-plate between the optic and the slide.
 
For my 26 Brownell slide, I got the RMS cut that goes back and eliminates the rear site and the Holosun HS 507K X2. It has the rear site built in. I dialed in the red dot reticle. Then got a tall front. I ground an filed it down so the top was 1/4 from the bottom of the 32MOA circle reticle.
 
Get an OEM Glock slide with the MOS cut and run the Holosun SCS.
There's no setup as good as that regardless of the footprint.
The optic matches up perfectly with the slide and the window is flush to the top of the slide so you can co-witness standard height iron sights.
I have not seen any RMR footprint optics that could sit as low as an SCS because you can't cut a glock slide much deeper then the MOS cut.
Taller footprint optics all require higher sights, especially when you have a sub-plate between the optic and the slide.
X2. Nothing beats a factory Glock slide. I dont care how Gucci it is. Now that Glock makes gen 3 optic ready slides, theres no point in buying anything else.
 
I'm the OP.

I was on the point of buying the Holosun SCS but realized that it is green only. No red option like most "red dots" seem to have. I understand why this is (green LEDs draw significantly less power than red thereby permitting the use of a permanent battery) but I know from looking through friend's optics that green doesn't work well for me.

I had already decided to buy the OEM Glock slide (I know it will work - and keep working) so will do that anyway and then decide on an optic.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your time.
 
I'm the OP.

I was on the point of buying the Holosun SCS but realized that it is green only. No red option like most "red dots" seem to have. I understand why this is (green LEDs draw significantly less power than red thereby permitting the use of a permanent battery) but I know from looking through friend's optics that green doesn't work well for me.

I had already decided to buy the OEM Glock slide (I know it will work - and keep working) so will do that anyway and then decide on an optic.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your time.

I think there’s a few GLOCK Gen 3 MOS slides listed for sale in the classifieds. ;)
 
I’ve tried Brownells, zaffiri, and grey ghost precision. I still find myself going back to oem slides with forward control designs plates every time… the fcd plates sit the optic a little higher than milled slides but with suppressor height sights they’re perfect.
 
I have had very good luck with the low cost Brownell's stuff. The ones I have aren't fancy or pretty and the finish is a lackluster dull color but I've never had a malfunction problem with them and the price was fantastic. Especially if you stack discounts or activejunky.
 
I just received my Glock (factory) G19 Gen3 MOS slide. It already had all the slide internal parts and factory sights, just needed to swap the barrel & guide-rod and it was good to go.

I've had optic-cut slides from ZEV, Brownells, MDX Arms, Zaffiri Precision, etc. They were all good, but I did like the Glock (factory) slide because it would fit all my existing holsters.

I just wish that I didn't have to pay extra $10 to order a MOS adapter for my RMR, lol.


tempImageoVUbtL.png
 
I also went with the factory G19 slide. With complete internals and iron sights, it didn't seem any more expensive then other options I was considering. Elected not to have original slide milled since I'm at the experimental stage. I like the night sights the G19 came with, but aging eyes have made it increasingly difficult to use them.
 
Any reason the buy a 34 slide instead of a 17 ?

I think not as I'll be running an optic so the longer sight radius won't benefit me.
 
Any reason the buy a 34 slide instead of a 17 ?

I think not as I'll be running an optic so the longer sight radius won't benefit me.

Some may say the 34 shoots softer or a little less felt recoil. I personally don't like slide windows though.
 
Any reason the buy a 34 slide instead of a 17 ?

I think not as I'll be running an optic so the longer sight radius won't benefit me.
Get the slide length to match your barrel length if you want to use your existing barrel.
If you want to go longer, you can, but then you also need to buy a barrel.
 
Some may say the 34 shoots softer or a little less felt recoil. I personally don't like slide windows though.

Good point.

Get the slide length to match your barrel length if you want to use your existing barrel.
If you want to go longer, you can, but then you also need to buy a barrel.

I did know that a longer slide meant a longer barrel but thank you for the reminder. Easy to neglect these things.

On balance, I'll just go with the 17 slide as there seems no compelling reason to go with the 34 slide. It will also mean that my existing holster will be reusable.

Again, thank you all for your responses.
 
Back
Top Bottom