18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Hellcat Pro Comp vs RM1C Comp

New_Spin

Active member
Messages
101
As the title says, I'm cross-shopping the Hellcat Pro Comp vs the Rost Martin RM1C Comp
This would be a potential handgun for my wife, something that she can devote practice to for herself that fits her hands better etc
Interested in the comped models especially for reduced muzzle rise with the small framed guns
I have a P365 base model with WCXL grip module, she's shot it several times and generally says she likes it, but preferred it more with the stock grip module (since it was smaller/narrower for her hands)
I've seen plenty of reviews for both guns, but looking for firsthand accounts 🙏🏻
(Also this wouldn't be a carry gun for her either, just her default to use)
 
P365 X macro especially if shes already shot the 365 and liked it
For me personally it annoys me that the Sig "Comp" models aren't like a true comp.. it's just a cut slide with a short barrel
My mom has a Rose XL, yeah it helps a bit but it's ultimately not as good as a true comp like these models are^
And a 3.1in on the Sig vs 3.7in/4in barrel with a much lower MSRP ... just don't love the math haha
(Hellcat Gear-Up package with 4 mags, red dot, and bag etc is still almost 200 bucks less than the best prices I've seen on an X-Macro)
I love my P365, makes a great carry gun, but like I said this isn't gonna be for carry anyways.
The pricing (at least on the CA models) of the other P365 models just stinks imo
 
If just between the 2, I'd go RM1C Comp.

The Hellcat Pro will be more like the P365. It's a very narrow pistol, which is great for all day CC but less good for general purpose. Depending on your hand type, the squared off grip might irk you too. Rost Martin makes an RM1S (and comp) which is more of a micro-compact, comparable to the sig and springfield, but fatter, so you get more shootability but less concealability. Someone put together a nice review for the RM1S here: https://caguns.net/threads/rost-martin-rm1s-comp.27012/

RM1C is more of a compact size (G19, Echelon compact, M&P 4", etc), which should be even better to shoot.
 
I would look at the Echelon comp, full size. You can change the grip module to whatever you want they have small/med/large and aftermarket. Many compact guns aren't actually "smaller" as far as the grip is concerned they are just shorter. Shorter can make it harder to shoot if it's too short even with a small hand. I helped a girl from work pick guns and she was attracted to small ones but after shooting a bunch of them went with a Glock 17 because it was the easiest to actually shoot. The best balance will be a "full size" gun with a grip conducive to a small hand, not a small gun just to get a small grip.
 
I would also add that with a full size gun you can probably save some money and potential reliability complications and just skip the comp.
 
I would also add that with a full size gun you can probably save some money and potential reliability complications and just skip the comp.
So I'm actually waiting for stock to show up at my LGS for an Echelon Comp FS for myself haha
I did think about maybe looking at another Echelon for her, but her hands are too small for a true full size unfortunately.
I'm trying to strike a balance between shootability/control and size for her hands. It's tough ha
 
So I'm actually waiting for stock to show up at my LGS for an Echelon Comp FS for myself haha
I did think about maybe looking at another Echelon for her, but her hands are too small for a true full size unfortunately.
I'm trying to strike a balance between shootability/control and size for her hands. It's tough ha
That's what I'm pointing out though, you can put the "small" grip module on the full size pistol. You can also put the small compact grip module on the full size slide. I haven't felt the Rost Martin in hand but I would be highly surprised if it were smaller than the small echelon. That said, the RM1C does actually look decent and if those are the options I would definitely pick that over the Hellcat, the Hellcat is known for being one of the worst subcompacts are far as recoil impulse. I think you really gotta put her hands on these to see what will actually work, there's a lot more than just "size" in the equation and it can just be about the right shape that is very individual. I still stand by getting the heaviest gun you can get away with though because it will be the easiest and most pleasurable to shoot.
 
That's what I'm pointing out though, you can put the "small" grip module on the full size pistol. You can also put the small compact grip module on the full size slide. I haven't felt the Rost Martin in hand but I would be highly surprised if it were smaller than the small echelon. That said, the RM1C does actually look decent and if those are the options I would definitely pick that over the Hellcat, the Hellcat is known for being one of the worst subcompacts are far as recoil impulse. I think you really gotta put her hands on these to see what will actually work, there's a lot more than just "size" in the equation and it can just be about the right shape that is very individual. I still stand by getting the heaviest gun you can get away with though because it will be the easiest and most pleasurable to shoot.
Oh yeah I want her to handle/shoot them before purchase
She's actually handled an XD-M before at the store and initially said she liked it surprisingly haha
But I was kinda skeptical, it's definitely larger than I think she realized, but the more square profile didn't deter her at least (I don't prefer the squareness, luckily the Echelon has more curve to it)
I had her handle the base Hellcat but they didn't have the Pro on hand
The Echelon 4.0C and the RM1C are similar height wise on the grip, but the Echelon grip is a bit wider I believe

Overall I'm definitely leaning towards the RM1C comp for a few reasons. A big one being it's much cheaper, which makes me feel a bit better since she likely won't be shooting it too often.
Again this is more of something she can be comfortable with for herself, train a bit at the range, and be ready to use for home defense etc if the worst case arose. I'd rather she had more experience with somethint that fits her the best vs something of mine. We have very different hand sizes etc (I added the WCXL grip plus a Hogue sleeve on my P365 and I love it, but she doesn't cuz it's almost too fat for her to grip now)
 
Oh yeah I want her to handle/shoot them before purchase
She's actually handled an XD-M before at the store and initially said she liked it surprisingly haha
But I was kinda skeptical, it's definitely larger than I think she realized, but the more square profile didn't deter her at least (I don't prefer the squareness, luckily the Echelon has more curve to it)
I had her handle the base Hellcat but they didn't have the Pro on hand
The Echelon 4.0C and the RM1C are similar height wise on the grip, but the Echelon grip is a bit wider I believe

Overall I'm definitely leaning towards the RM1C comp for a few reasons. A big one being it's much cheaper, which makes me feel a bit better since she likely won't be shooting it too often.
Again this is more of something she can be comfortable with for herself, train a bit at the range, and be ready to use for home defense etc if the worst case arose. I'd rather she had more experience with somethint that fits her the best vs something of mine. We have very different hand sizes etc (I added the WCXL grip plus a Hogue sleeve on my P365 and I love it, but she doesn't cuz it's almost too fat for her to grip now)
It's tricky to shop for a beginner because they honestly don't know what they are looking for. Like if you don't even really know the mechanics of grip then how to you know what feels "good". The biggest thing is going to be trigger reach and a grip that is fat doesn't necessarily mean that the trigger reach is long and out of reach for a smaller hand. But yeah the RM1C looks like a good option for sure. It's not actually a Glock clone as far as the trigger is concerned, it's much better and more like the Echelon/M&P/PDP design.
 
Back
Top Bottom