18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Help me decide between the Springfield Echelon 4.0 comp vs 4.5 comp

thehobbyist

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
11
Both the Springfield Echelon 4.0 comp and the Echelon are 699.98 at Turners. Same expected delivery time line.

Help me decide between the 4.0 comp vs 4.5 comp.

Thanks!
 
What's the use case? The 4 is a compact grip while the 4.5 is full size
 
It is really just a matter of "Plan to carry or not"

Also worth remembering you can swap grip modules. So if you like the G45 idea then buy a compact and find a full size grip module. If you like G49 idea then full size and compact grip module.
 
I'mma probably go 4.5C with the compact module.

edit - i liked the PDP's trigger more but the Echelon more overall.
 
I'mma probably go 4.5C with the compact module.

edit - i liked the PDP's trigger more but the Echelon more overall.
This is the way if you’re not planning on using it for CCW. The grip module rails are designed for their corresponding uppers, so if you put the compact upper on the full size grip module it will look goofy with the rail extending beyond the muzzle. 4.5 upper on the compact grip module at least looks passable.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4668.png
    IMG_4668.png
    46 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4669.png
    IMG_4669.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 60
This is the way if you’re not planning on using it for CCW. The grip module rails are designed for their corresponding uppers, so if you put the compact upper on the full size grip module it will look goofy with the rail extending beyond the muzzle. 4.5 upper on the compact grip module at least looks passable.
ok potentially dumb question ;

The 'compact' 4.0 body is not the same as the 4.5 body in 'small' correct? The latter is what I was planning on.

 
ok potentially dumb question ;

The 'compact' 4.0 body is not the same as the 4.5 body in 'small' correct? The latter is what I was planning on.

Ah got it. Correct, the 4.0 and 4.5 grip modules all come in three sizes. So if you get the 4.5 grip in “small” it will still be full length, just with a thinner grip. Pic shows the three different 4.5 grip mods.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Both the Springfield Echelon 4.0 comp and the Echelon are 699.98 at Turners. Same expected delivery time line.

Help me decide between the 4.0 comp vs 4.5 comp.

Thanks!
I already have 2 compact 9 mm pistols and don't own any full size currently so I decided to go with the full size. The Echelon will reside in my night stand where there is no benefit I am aware of to having a compact pistol as far as I can tell.

Its now January 5 and I ordered my full size comp 2 months ago with no word yet as to when it will be avialable.
 
Dumb question but if you change from a full size to a compact grip module or vice versa are the magazines compatible?
Magazines are not interchangeable. Compact magazines will not fit inside the full-size due to length. Full size sticks out the bottom of the compact frame, but I'm sure someone makes spacers by now if that's the route you want to go.

I have the Full size slide on a compact frame and am very happy it. Bought compact magazines instead of searching for spacers for most concealment possible if I decide to carry as CCW
 
I own the 4.5. Not easy to conceal but can be concealed.

One of the best parts of the Echelon COG, if you get the full size you can buy the compact 4.0 frame for like $60ish, and throw your full sized slide on it.
 
I purchased the 4.0C (non-comped version) on Black Friday. I've taken it to the range a number of times now and really like it. I plan to replace one of the guns on my CCW with it when I renew later this year.

I normally carry a full size XD9, which i don't have any comfort issues with. But I'm looking forward to carrying the slightly smaller and lighter Echelon. Heck, it's even more compact than my XDM Elite 3.8". Granted, I got that with the regular sized grip instead of the sub.

One thing to note, SA's implementation of the mag disconnect in the Echelon prevents the mag from dropping freely. I've been trying to break it in and I can get the mag to drop with a quick downward flick, but I'm hoping that it will drop mags freely eventually.

My XDM Elite has the mag disconnect and it drops mags freely, so I'm hoping the Echelon will after tons of rounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom