18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Request Help us build the "CAguns Preferred FFL Network"

ikeo1

2A Developer 👨🏻‍💻
Staff member
CAguns Vendor
CAguns Prime
Messages
5,496
Classified ads
3
Hey everyone,

We’re exploring the idea of launching a CAguns Preferred FFL Network — a vetted list of dealers who are transparent, fair, and genuinely easy to work with.

We all know the experience can vary wildly between shops. Some make purchases and transfers straightforward and stress-free. Others add confusion, unnecessary friction, or inconsistent policies. The goal here isn’t to bash FFLs, it’s to highlight and support the shops that consistently do it right.

Before we invite any dealers to participate, we want to define what a “5-Star FFL Experience” actually means to you.

Help us set the baseline:
  • Transfer Fees
    • What’s a fair dealer transfer fee in your area for online orders (non-PPT)?
  • Other Fees
    • What feels reasonable for ammo transfers, storage fees, or stripped lower processing?
  • Policies & Guidance
    • How should a preferred FFL handle featureless builds or legally grey items? We’re looking for clear explanations, consistent policies, and no unnecessary FUD.
  • “Undetermined” Status
    • Is it enough that they clearly disclose their policy upfront so there are no surprises?
  • Member Pricing
    • Should Preferred FFLs offer clearly defined CAguns standard or preferred member pricing on common services (transfers, ammo, storage, etc.)?Note: Would you be open to this discounted pricing being appointment-based rather than walk-in, to keep things fair for both the shop's workflow and your wallet?
  • Service
    • What behaviors make you loyal to a shop communication, turnaround time, transparency, attitude?
If you’ve had a great experience, tell us what made it great. If you’ve had a frustrating one, tell us what would’ve improved it.

Once we define the standard together, we’ll use it to build a network that rewards the shops doing things right and makes the process easier for everyone.

Let us know what “good” looks like in the comments below. Our goal is to have a few preferred FFL's in different Regions for you guys to transfer everything legally and stress free. It's already stressful enough.
 
Last edited:
either way, it takes how much extra time?
Almost double the time. Most your info is obtained by swiping your ID.
The rest of the DROS is all firearm information.
If you are getting 5 or the same exact item its not to hard since all the make/model/cal/type info is the same but 5 different guns.

I used to charge 1 transfer fee for any amount of longguns back when you only did one DROS and just had to change the quantity. That changed as people abused it.

When each firearm needed a DROS I was allowing up to 3 for the same rate but that also changed when people abused it.

(For context if you charge $75 for a transfer fee and a PPT is $10. Once guy will buy 5 guns and then later you will see them trying to PPT to their friends to avoid 5 $75 fees)
 
Almost double the time. Most your info is obtained by swiping your ID.
The rest of the DROS is all firearm information.
If you are getting 5 or the same exact item its not to hard since all the make/model/cal/type info is the same but 5 different guns.

I used to charge 1 transfer fee for any amount of longguns back when you only did one DROS and just had to change the quantity. That changed as people abused it.

When each firearm needed a DROS I was allowing up to 3 for the same rate but that also changed when people abused it.

(For context if you charge $75 for a transfer fee and a PPT is $10. Once guy will buy 5 guns and then later you will see them trying to PPT to their friends to avoid 5 $75 fees)
I don't believe that it's double the time, either way it's not really up to you to say what constitutes "abuse". Even if it were double the time to do 5 guns on one transaction you are instead charging 5 times?
 
I don't believe that it's double the time, either way it's not really up to you to say what constitutes "abuse". Even if it were double the time to do 5 guns on one transaction you are instead charging 5 times?
It could be 10 times the time depending on the transfers. 5 of the same lowers in a box is pretty easy but customers will order 5 different firearms from 5 different places..... that's 5 times I have to open and receive different guns to log into my books.... sometimes they will be weeks apart and I need to store them.... sometimes they will not come in with the right federal and state paperwork requiring me to contact the shipper multiple times to get it resolved..... sometimes they will not be compliant or the customer doesn't have the right exemptions or just the wrong or damaged gun and need to go back and re-received with the correct or undamaged firearm.

Any FFL who has a blanket single fee for any volume of guns will at sometime have to modify that process at some point as its not a once size fits all plan.
 
It could be 10 times the time depending on the transfers. 5 of the same lowers in a box is pretty easy but customers will order 5 different firearms from 5 different places..... that's 5 times I have to open and receive different guns to log into my books.... sometimes they will be weeks apart and I need to store them.... sometimes they will not come in with the right federal and state paperwork requiring me to contact the shipper multiple times to get it resolved..... sometimes they will not be compliant or the customer doesn't have the right exemptions or just the wrong or damaged gun and need to go back and re-received with the correct or undamaged firearm.

Any FFL who has a blanket single fee for any volume of guns will at sometime have to modify that process at some point as its not a once size fits all plan.
I'm sure there's a middle ground though, whenever I have done multiples I only do three at a time. I would even pay a smaller amount for additional, like the first one is 60 but additional is 25, or 100 for up to three. Charging 75 or more for each is absurd if you are getting three lowers for instance. The impression I get from other FFLs when I talk to them during transfers is that they just want you to buy stuff from their store and they are charging a lot just so you don't bother them (looking at you unnamed Sacramento gun store that charges 150$). The issue is though that none of these FFLs stock what I want hence why I'm ordering it elsewhere. In the context of this post, the "preferred FFL" system would be one where buyers have confirmed their info is ready so it could make sense for those FFLs to offer some kind of a deal, otherwise why use the preferred FFL? The side of the FFL that makes less money or even loses money like PPTs is a loss leader, it gets people in the door to buy other stuff. It's not like we want to use the FFL we just have to.
 
Charging 75 or more for each is absurd if you are getting three lowers for instance.
You can think that its absurd but its not for an FFL... You mention lose leaders but certain FFL's like kitchen tables don't need to do them since they are not a brick a mortar and don't have normal hours. If I never lose money on a PPT I might be able to lower transfer fees but there is going to be a balance.

Im sure some FFL's put prices high to discourage transfers. I did the rough math a long time ago and for me $30-40.00 is about the break even amount with a store and employees vs time/ect. Making $25-35 for a transaction doesn't seem absurd to me.

Im my case about half the transfers I get in the customers pay more than I have the gun for....and its in stock.

Just trying to help give some context in this Preferred FFL thread as not all dealers are trying to gouge customers and expecting larger stores with lots of overhead to compete with a guy in a garage is not fair.
 
You can think that its absurd but its not for an FFL... You mention lose leaders but certain FFL's like kitchen tables don't need to do them since they are not a brick a mortar and don't have normal hours. If I never lose money on a PPT I might be able to lower transfer fees but there is going to be a balance.

Im sure some FFL's put prices high to discourage transfers. I did the rough math a long time ago and for me $30-40.00 is about the break even amount with a store and employees vs time/ect. Making $25-35 for a transaction doesn't seem absurd to me.

Im my case about half the transfers I get in the customers pay more than I have the gun for....and its in stock.

Just trying to help give some context in this Preferred FFL thread as not all dealers are trying to gouge customers and expecting larger stores with lots of overhead to compete with a guy in a garage is not fair.
I get what you are saying. Employees that perform transfers are largely a sunk cost though unless you had so many that you needed another employee. If each additional transfer is cheaper there's more incentive for someone to get three lowers at once and you made an extra 50 bucks for whatever extra minutes.
 
either way, it takes how much extra time?
It's combination of time + "everything else" where everything else =
Insurance
Safe Space
Space for Box
Time to unpack, cursory inspect, and label firearms
Extra set of paperwork with at least 2 pieces of paper that DOJ can find issues with you on
If more than 3 firearms then additional ATF paperwork.
If 2 or more handguns then additional ATF paperwork
If 2 or more semi-auto centerfire rifles then additional ATF paperwork

So while it's only an incremental more time on the CA DOJ computer form all the other stuff above adds extra time. Each of those is auditable and a chance for ATF or DOJ to write you up.

All that being said our incremental cost is only $25 / firearm in a multiple firearm transaction. Some customers will buy 1 lower from me so they can get their transfer fee @ $25 which is fine as well since they actually bought something from me also. Granted I make less money, but once they are here doing the paperwork for the 1 lower they bought from me it's only a smaller increment of work for me to process their second firearm.
 
It's combination of time + "everything else" where everything else =
Insurance
Safe Space
Space for Box
Time to unpack, cursory inspect, and label firearms
Extra set of paperwork with at least 2 pieces of paper that DOJ can find issues with you on
If more than 3 firearms then additional ATF paperwork.
If 2 or more handguns then additional ATF paperwork
If 2 or more semi-auto centerfire rifles then additional ATF paperwork

So while it's only an incremental more time on the CA DOJ computer form all the other stuff above adds extra time. Each of those is auditable and a chance for ATF or DOJ to write you up.

All that being said our incremental cost is only $25 / firearm in a multiple firearm transaction. Some customers will buy 1 lower from me so they can get their transfer fee @ $25 which is fine as well since they actually bought something from me also. Granted I make less money, but once they are here doing the paperwork for the 1 lower they bought from me it's only a smaller increment of work for me to process their second firearm.
Well see that's the exact kind of deal that I am talking about, not trying to get it for free just a middle ground.
 
Sharing my experience on 3 Orange County FFLs that have likely been frequented by folks here. Top positive and top negative for each.

Turner’s Lake Forest:
Positive - new purchase from their store was the most efficient (FSC test, DROS, pick up)
Negative - PPT transaction they made me buy a store provided lock even though another employee over the phone said it wouldn’t be required

Bass Pro Irvine:
Positive - allowed me to do a DROS close to closing time (about 30 minutes before close)
Negative - associates seem to get distracted by other store functions which adds to time/wait

On Target Laguna Niguel:
Positive - candid employees when answering questions, felt much less corporate and more casual than other 2
Negative - felt unorganized without any order or queue system
 
Last edited:
I would say - this might be a more expansive feature; but if we do have an FFL database (which would be amazing, obviously) I would hope it's more like a form generated spreadsheet with a aggregated rating rather than a forum thread akin to this one.
It would be here where you could use our search or filter by ratings.

The goal is to build this section out and have a strong list of FFL’s all around the state with transparent pricing and standard practices you can expect. We funnel them consistent traffic for being pro-customer.

We just don’t want some people to take advantage of the FFL as mentioned. It should be fair for both FFL and Customer with some reasonable expectations.

 
Last edited:
Anyway to have a filter for 25mi/50mi/100mi from a zipcide like you might see on davidsons gungenie?

Also add a separate line for hours of operation.
Also a line for phone number.
There's a big text box there that some are filling in with that info but for some reason not all ffl include contact info or hours of operation.

Also good if the list view of all ffl and the detailed info could be scrubbed to be consistent.
Some ffl on the list view don't show the handshake ppt icon but have it in the detailed view.
I saw one ffl in the detailed view list ppt walkin accepted and also by appointment only. Maybe make that a radio button since they are mutually exclusive policies.
 
Seriously, all this talk of competence in how to run a gun store, how about we demand the same of government? We will never get away from licensing in this state, but we can make it shall issue and make it all make sense if we adopted a Swiss tiered style model. It would all be objective criteria, and it would all be shall-issue.
Been doing that for more than 30 years. Feel free to join in with some blood, sweat, risk, and finances of your own.
 
Not exactly what you're asking for, but what I'd really like is a way to see prices and sales, including consignment items. A lot of stores are hesitant to put any pricing on Instagram (understandably), but many don't even have websites other than a static page that tells you to call for pricing/availability.

I think $50-75 per online serialized transfer is fine, but I'd also like to know non-serialized transfer fees nowadays (barrels, uppers, weirdo sellers who have good sales but won't ship directly to CA consumers). I think $20 would be reasonable?

I actually prefer appointments so I know that I'm going to be seen in a reasonable amount of time and there won't be a 10-person wait in front of me. I have no problem with preferred pricing being set for appointments only.
 
Not exactly what you're asking for, but what I'd really like is a way to see prices and sales, including consignment items. A lot of stores are hesitant to put any pricing on Instagram (understandably), but many don't even have websites other than a static page that tells you to call for pricing/availability.

I think $50-75 per online serialized transfer is fine, but I'd also like to know non-serialized transfer fees nowadays (barrels, uppers, weirdo sellers who have good sales but won't ship directly to CA consumers). I think $20 would be reasonable?

I actually prefer appointments so I know that I'm going to be seen in a reasonable amount of time and there won't be a 10-person wait in front of me. I have no problem with preferred pricing being set for appointments only.
I don't mind appointments and I don't mind not-appointments. I just like to know the expectations before I dive in and commit time. 😄
 
On the other hand, if you do find someone happy to play in the grey area....

$75 is not bad these days. Do you allow more than one firearm on the same DROS? What is your fee to receive a firearm?
75 for one and 40 each additional but I discount receivers and it's always one 37 dros fee if all done at once.
 
Back
Top Bottom