18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Home defense hearing protection

I would just yell out “Hey, timeout. Let’s put on ear protection for both of us” :p
In the real world not sure you would have time to put them on, turn on the volume, untwist your underwear and head down the hall.

Hearing loss will be the least of your worries.


Also .357 would not be my first (second or third) choice for home defense.
 
I think it depends on whether you live alone or have a wife and kids. If there's others in the house, unless I'm using electronic ear protection I'd rather not have it so I can communicate with them. Just leave them on your nightstand but make sure they're properly locked up in a doj approved safe to keep from violating the law. 😁
 
I keep ear protection by the safe. I could see some situations where there might be time (like when there was someone once in my back yard at night who never came in the house). I assume in most situations there won’t be time but I’ve set things up just in case such as when you baracade you and your loved ones in a room.
 
It will take a lot more than a couple rounds indoors in an HD scenario to ruin your hearing, in the overwhelming majority of cases. I am sure there is the odd case where it demonstrably did, but if it was THAT common, everyone who did house clearing in Fallujah would be certifiably deaf.

I'm not gonna mess with ear pro in an HD situation. I want all my senses working for me in such a scenario. I'll take the low risk that I might get a little deaf in the VERY REMOTE probability where I actually am confronted with an HD situation.
Just one part of this id like to pick at. Everyone who did house clearing in Fallujah was wearing ear pro....
 
The correct answer is a suppressor. But this state inexplicably bans them so we can’t have them. The NFA and the AWB should both go down in court. But for now, my Springfield TRP with subsonic JHPs is my HD pistol of choice.
 
Last edited:
Just one part of this id like to pick at. Everyone who did house clearing in Fallujah was wearing ear pro....
Really?

Man, never knew that. I feel like it would be terrifying walking into a house like that with one of your senses that dulled.
 
Really?

Man, never knew that. I feel like it would be terrifying walking into a house like that with one of your senses that dulled.
Its the same electronic muffs we get (think walker) but on military level. Thats what those headsets they wear are. Its not just to talk to each other. Its also so they dont go deaf with all the bombs and grenades going off. They could also be using the bone conductor for speaking (you see a black necklace like thing around their necks) but the earpro remains the same.
 
So a person breaks into your home and you rush to get your firearm but what hearing protection are you getting?

Not sure if most people think about this especially if you are using large 357 magnum rounds that could ruin your hearing.

You want to be able to protect your hearing and hear at the same time.

I’m generally curious what people would use and if it would be different from what you would use on the range.
will you have time to put on hearing protection?
That's why I moved away from .357 and 10mm for home defense. They are almost twice as loud as 9mm or some 45 ACP. The 9 and 45 are the main two I think are the best combination of attributes for home defense. Both for obvious reasons.
I like 45 for the same reason so many people hate it. Slow, fat, low-pressure bullets with inferior penetration, but make huge holes. With the right gun, the recoil is barely anything and the right ammo opens up to a full inch wide flower petals -- the HST-- and isn't going to destroy your hearing or go through 40 walls like your big bad 10mm.
Also, I have thrown on plain old bluetooth music headphones on one occasion for shooting 9 and although it wasn't perfect, it took the edge off enough that I didn't have the temporary hearing loss you do when unprotected. ANYTHING will help -- a LITTLE BIT- and if you are using a reasonable inside caliber like 9, 45, 38, 380, 22, you will be fine.
I totally respect everyone who prefers to annihilate the attackers while also permanently handicapping themselves, by using some ridiculous caliber inside the house but it's not for me. Can't even imagine people who use 5.56 unprotected inside.
 
While I understand your well Intended thought, I do not think this is remotely a priority. Grab your gun and your family and get to a safe spot and call 911. If you do not have time to do that then you do not have time for ears. I also wonder how that could be used in court, such as “you put on hearing protection since you knew you were going to shoot my client.”
 
Not using ears will damage your hearing (even once, severity depending on conditions) and hearing loss is forever. However, priorities matter. Whether you notice the noise due to adrenaline has nothing to do with the damage noise causes at high dB. Obviously time, prep, and training makes all the difference, like a gun light or optic.

Ear pro at the ready is no different than having the loaded gun for home defense, and both are just tools. There is an intention to protect, not to kill per se. It's not much different than a pre-nup or insurance. Neither protective mechanism indicates intended failure. The best prenup is no nup, but that's a different convo entirely.

There is good reason why we have barriers, locks, alarms, and cameras, and it's as much to protect invaders as it is ourselves when a gun for home defense is a last resort.

Electronic ear pro is the best of all worlds. Have family retreat and call 911, and train them how to behave before the time comes as one might drill for a disaster scenario.
 
While I understand your well Intended thought, I do not think this is remotely a priority. Grab your gun and your family and get to a safe spot and call 911. If you do not have time to do that then you do not have time for ears. I also wonder how that could be used in court, such as “you put on hearing protection since you knew you were going to shoot my client.”

Well said. I have my "it's gonna get confiscated" Glock 17 and 2 additional mags in a Fas1 safe by the bed. If I get woken up by the sound of glass break or door opening, I am:
  • Grabbing the gun
  • Locking the door
  • Calling 911 on speaker phone (hence no ear protection) for a recording of what could happen
  • Waiting inside the room for cops. (I can unlock front door remotely)
I do NOT plan on roaming the halls clearing rooms in my underwear, socks and earmuffs. If the threat comes to the master bedroom door and comes through, I will have a recorded 911 call with my effective response to the threat. YMMV
 
Last edited:
I also wonder how that could be used in court, such as “you put on hearing protection since you knew you were going to shoot my client.”
It wouldn’t matter. In California, when someone breaks into your home while you and/or your family is present there is a legal presumption that your fear of imminent death or great bodily injury was reasonable. Putting on ear protection at the first sign of possible danger would not rebut that legal presumption.
 
When protecting your family during a home invasion, how important is it to factor in resale value of the home when choosing where to engage the threat?
 
It wouldn’t matter. In California, when someone breaks into your home while you and/or your family is present there is a legal presumption that your fear of imminent death or great bodily injury was reasonable. Putting on ear protection at the first sign of possible danger would not rebut that legal presumption.
Just like having car insurance does not indicate intent to get into an accident.
 
Last edited:
Yes, you do in CA. Forget the duration after the death you need to disclose this. I know it is a certain number of years.
Three years. It is also INSIDE the house. My neighbors daughter committed suicide in their backyard and he did not have to disclose it.
 
Back
Top Bottom