18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

How do I dispose of unwanted things? I don’t think the landfill is legal or appropriate for.

five.five-six

Well-known member
Messages
740
Classified ads
2
I got free ammo! POF cordite .303

IMG_1627.webp


And then I fixed it

image.webp


Now what do I do with the primed cases filled with cordite (and these old HDD’s)?

IMG_1648.webp
 
For HDD google electronic waste location near you.

For ammo, post in calcified or walk to nearest LGS and they would gladly help you
 
I scavenge the rare earth magnets from HDD’s. They come in handy around the house/farm.
 
@Ammo Guy is here
 
It’s cordite and I’ve pulled the bullets, nobody wants it
Slowly and safely burn the cordite. Then either give/sell cases cheap as berdan primed brass or reload, shoot & clean gun as the primers are corrosive. Trash the brass after shooting or recycle it, done.
 
Your county should have some kind of household haz waste disposal dropoff


Actually looks like they may not accept "explosive' powder
 
Last edited:
It’s neither explosive or powder.


legally is classified as an explosive because it does under pressure though. That's how all firearms propellant acts when you burn it because it has chemical retardants, it's all about the pressure though. But mostly it's about how they will classify it at the dump
 
legally is classified as an explosive because it does under pressure though. That's how all firearms propellant acts when you burn it because it has chemical retardants, it's all about the pressure though. But mostly it's about how they will classify it at the dump
Really it’s a self oxidizing propellant. Black powder is an explosive as is tannerite. But yea, disposing of it’s an issue…
 
As for the hard drives, if the disks work, you should securely wipe the data using a program like dban, which is a free program. It is easier to do it on an old machine so as to avoid making a mistake and wiping a disk that you are using. If the drive isn't working, then you should destroy it, which can be done by various methods, such as taking it apart, drilling it or using it as a target. As mentioned, the magnets can be nice to have.

I wouldn't turn the drives into ewaste without ensuring that the data is wiped as someone might get access to it and recover the data, which would be bad for you.
 
As for the hard drives, if the disks work, you should securely wipe the data using a program like dban, which is a free program. It is easier to do it on an old machine so as to avoid making a mistake and wiping a disk that you are using. If the drive isn't working, then you should destroy it, which can be done by various methods, such as taking it apart, drilling it or using it as a target. As mentioned, the magnets can be nice to have.

I wouldn't turn the drives into ewaste without ensuring that the data is wiped as someone might get access to it and recover the data, which would be bad for you.
About half of those drives are SCSI.
 
I’d go talk to the local police department and explain the issue and see what they reccomend.

If no one is helpful, burning them in a fire pit doesn’t sound crazy and then tossing into recycle bin. I’d try one first just to see if it makes a lot of noise which a primer going off likely will. May or may not be an issue where you live.
 
I have another 1/2 pound or so of that cordite that was pulled from the cases if you want that too.
 
Fire pit and burn it all?
Removing the cordite is a pain because of the gooey stuff that holds the cordite into the cases.
The primers will pop off if you burn the cases without removing the cordite from them.
Primers popping off in a fire pit is noisy enough to make neighbors report shots being fired which could be problematic if you live within earshot of your neighbors.
 
Back
Top Bottom