18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

How do we search in classified listings?

zhyla

Member
Messages
52
On calguns I always just go to the handgun section and search for my city to see what’s around. Is that possible here? I have not found a search function yet.
 
On calguns I always just go to the handgun section and search for my city to see what’s around. Is that possible here? I have not found a search function yet.
I'm still working on how to drill down the search. I have a couple problems right now. Here you can use a combination of filters and the search button in the top right next to your username.
  • Not everyone wants to use city to search
    • If you look at the classified section some will have city some won't.
  • Some people enter in county
  • Non standard way of entering location
Eventually if i get enough people I'll work on drilling down and adding Norcal/Socal field then County OR city and let the people figure it out that way. Thing is I need some people to help me figure the best flow. I'll be adjusting the site over time as I see how people use the platform. Chicken or the egg problem for me. I can't invest a ton of time into a fairly complex search filter system if its just easier to put in the title for the 10-20 ads listed. I have to spend time where its needed.

One of them is documentation. I'm writing out Seller, Buyer, Feedback documentation cause its all pretty new and intuitive but so that people can have a reference for how it all works.

So I may just have people enter it in the title for the time being. Then it becomes easily searchable.

IMG_2190.jpg

Filters are in the classifed section in the top right as well.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 8.06.57 PM.png

Thanks for checking us out!
 
Yeah, filtering by city won’t work because a lot of people are in metro areas. I don’t think breaking the forum down by geography will really pan out.

Is there no search function in this forum?
 
Yeah, filtering by city won’t work because a lot of people are in metro areas. I don’t think breaking the forum down by geography will really pan out.

Is there no search function in this forum?
Search field is next to your username. It should be pretty clear. The filter is in the Classified area.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.47.49 PM.png
 
Can you add a filter for region? Like Southern California, Northern California, Central California, Bay Area, Inland Empire, etc
That way we don't have to scroll through endless posts to find the cities closest to us. I always hated that about CGs.
 
Search by radius in miles by zip code?
I'm not sure if I'm going to add it to this level of granularity but there will be improvements in the search function. I'll be making some changes soon to address this. Filter by radius takes a lot of computational power on your end and mine for very small benefit. IMO its not worth it for the majority of users if the primary goal is performance. It's more of a nice to have and maybe if I can afford to add more computational power but it comes with at the cost of power on mobiles and several calls back and forth.
Can you add a filter for region? Like Southern California, Northern California, Central California, Bay Area, Inland Empire, etc
That way we don't have to scroll through endless posts to find the cities closest to us. I always hated that about CGs.
Yes, as mentioned though. It'll come in time. Right now you can go there and there's 2 listings.. So you won't have to scroll very far! ;)
 
I'm not sure if I'm going to add it to this level of granularity but there will be improvements in the search function. I'll be making some changes soon to address this. Filter by radius takes a lot of computational power on your end and mine for very small benefit. IMO its not worth it for the majority of users if the primary goal is performance. It's more of a nice to have and maybe if I can afford to add more computational power but it comes with at the cost of power on mobiles and several calls back and forth.

Yes, as mentioned though. It'll come in time. Right now you can go there and there's 2 listings.. So you won't have to scroll very far! ;)
Yeah, I was thinking out of the box. i do think region filter is more valuable than mileage. I have a general idea how far I'm willing to travel, and once I decide I'll use a map program to figure out the distance. For the purposes of the caguns classified, the region filter would be the most beneficial imo down the road.
 
Back
Top Bottom