18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

How do you clean your brass?

You don't want extremely clean shiny brass since it may cause sticking issues when flaring the case mouth. For me it's 2-3 seconds of slight pressure/gravity feed Dawn, @ 1/2 tsp of lemyshine and wet tumble @ 3-400 9mm cases for 40 mins no pins. Dry in an old air fryer on 270 for 20 mins and you're ready to roll.
 
I load precision rifle for 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 22-25- and .308 Win. I decap and resize with one shot and then put in an ultrasonic with dawn and water at 160c. for 15 minutes. Blow dry with an air nozzle and then tumble with half walnut shells and half synthetic media for 1 hour.
 
1/4 teaspoon lemishine
1 teaspoon dawn
Wet tumbler with steel pins for 1 hour.
Rinse well
stick in the dryer 1 hour
Comes out pretty shiny.
 
You don't want extremely clean shiny brass since it may cause sticking issues when flaring the case mouth. For me it's 2-3 seconds of slight pressure/gravity feed Dawn, @ 1/2 tsp of lemyshine and wet tumble @ 3-400 9mm cases for 40 mins no pins. Dry in an old air fryer on 270 for 20 mins and you're ready to roll.
I've divided flaring into two steps and that helps reduce the stickiness. I've always run 90 mins but I'll try your suggested 40-45 mins. But no media is the way. So tired of dealing with media. I leave primers in though so I don't know how well it'll get the primer pockets but for pistol brass the insides come out perfectly fine with no media. I mean fine as in there's a negligible different in cleanliness and shininess with no pins vs pins.
 
Last edited:
I load precision rifle for 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 22-25- and .308 Win. I decap and resize with one shot and then put in an ultrasonic with dawn and water at 160c. for 15 minutes. Blow dry with an air nozzle and then tumble with half walnut shells and half synthetic media for 1 hour.
Does sizing the brass while dirty cause issues? Damage the die over time? I have been cleaning in an ultrasonic first with primers still in the case for fear that sizing dirty brass was a no no, but I’d rather clean them deprimed to get the primer pockets better and make seating the new primers more uniform. I just don’t want to 2x my operations by decapping first, then cleaning, then sizing separately.
 
Does sizing the brass while dirty cause issues? Damage the die over time? I have been cleaning in an ultrasonic first with primers still in the case for fear that sizing dirty brass was a no no, but I’d rather clean them deprimed to get the primer pockets better and make seating the new primers more uniform. I just don’t want to 2x my operations by decapping first, then cleaning, then sizing separately.
The one shot lube makes it pretty easy to size but you have to wait for the recommended intervals. Size to early and it will hydraulic and dent the taper below the necks. I can't say as far as wear but I use a bushing sizer for the 6.5 Creedmoor (you better have good, consistent brass like Lapua) but the rest are either full length sized for semi auto or neck sized for bolt guns.
 
Rookie mistake..

I got walnut shell “cat litter” thinking the coarse granule would do great.

25% of the flash holes were obstructed.

🤦‍♂️
 
30min in the sonic, then dump them wet right into the very fine walnut shell for another 30 minutes. that dries them and shines them.
 
I use a wet tumbler.
I add a teaspoon of dish soap
And a teaspoon of lemishine.
Run it with the metal pins for about 40min
 

Attachments

  • 7370.webp
    7370.webp
    104.5 KB · Views: 7
Is the fine walnut better? I already have a midway tumbler so don’t plan on changing equipment.
 
That’s the rumor. 13 were reported catching fire. Probably in hot/humid climates or very dirty. Idk the cases.
 
Back
Top Bottom