18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

I made B Class in USPSA (Open Minor)!

Brandon Breeze

Well-known member
Messages
842
Classified ads
2
I finally made B Class in USPSA Open Minor, and looking back, the biggest lesson is that it wasn't equipment, some magical technique, or simply trying to shoot faster.

It was training with intention.

I started as a USPSA in March of this year with zero competition experience. From the time I was actually classified as C Class to making B Class was 98 days. 139 days from my first match.

The biggest things that moved the needle (for me):
  • Stop chasing speed. I had a my first B-Class run months ago, then immediately tried to push harder, and shot a 16.8% D run to follow it up then two more LOW C's. I eventually learned to run classifiers at about 90–95% of my actual capability.
  • Get analytical about your classifier scores. C Class is a huge range. Don't just look at “C”, know whether you're shooting at 40% or knocking on B's door at 59%.
  • Dry fire consistently. My biggest improvement came when I stopped casually running stages and started using par times and hit-factor goals.
  • Practice specific weaknesses. A GM recommended I work on a scoop draw. I cut roughly 0.2 seconds simply by practicing it. Same thing happened with my reloads.
  • Watch better shooters. Then ask them why they're doing what they're doing. Local M/GM shooters are incredibly valuable.
  • Keep the gun up while moving. Coming from a tactical background, this was a major adjustment. Those little tenths add up.
  • Don't let equipment become an excuse. My battle belt and Open Minor Sand Viper aren't/weren't holding me back. I was/am.
  • Shoot more matches. Matches aren't a substitute for training, but the more you compete, the less foreign the environment becomes.
  • Don't shoot faster than you can shoot accurately. A fast run with Charlies and Deltas isn't necessarily a good run, especially on classifiers.
And perhaps the biggest takeaway:

If you want to move up, identify the thing that's costing you time or points, then go home and deliberately practice THAT thing.

I made B Class. Cool.

Now it's B → A → M → GM.

I'm going after A Class in roughly the same timeframe.

I put the whole journey, mistakes, classifier progression, dry-fire changes, and the actual B-Class run into the video for anyone interested:


If you're currently C Class and trying to make B, hopefully some of the mistakes I made can save you a few months of making your own.
 
Hell yeah brother good stuff! And thanks for the good read. Keep on grinding 🤙🏼
 
Congratulations, this sport is hard and confusing.

Its all new to me. My first match was in July it happened to be an all classifier and I had no clue what I was doing, I classed D.
Ive now shot 5 matches. I shoot with a great club full of alot of helpful people. Most of the stages ive shot were around a C, with a couple of B's
I have 1 more competition before my shoulder surgery and 6 months of down time. It happens to be an all classifier too, im hoping to get to C.
Im going to watch that video in a few, thanks.
 
Congratulations, this sport is hard and confusing.

Its all new to me. My first match was in July it happened to be an all classifier and I had no clue what I was doing, I classed D.
Ive now shot 5 matches. I shoot with a great club full of alot of helpful people. Most of the stages ive shot were around a C, with a couple of B's
I have 1 more competition before my shoulder surgery and 6 months of down time. It happens to be an all classifier too, im hoping to get to C.
Im going to watch that video in a few, thanks.
You'll get the hang of it soon! The reason it's hard is because everyone is essentially judged based upon being compared to the best shooters in the world, at least from a Classification standpoint.

Focus on being safe, not getting DQ'd, having fun and of course building skills!

I wish I would have gotten into this 20+ years ago when I was much younger and able to move much better, but no one I knew was going and I had no idea where to go for the matches.

It's a lot of fun when you start to beat the folks that have been beating you and giving you pointers! We only had one M Class shooter on our squad today. I was picking his brain every chance I had and picked up a few more tips on stage planning etc.

I have yet to go to a match where I'm not learning at least a few things.
 
Last edited:
It's a blast, I promise you'll never want to go to the static range other than for zeroing or running specific drills again!
Oh I will because I have an amazing membership and it’s easy access since I can go whenever I want unlimited time. Tactical ranges not nearly as accessible sadly unless maybe you have the right location and connections. But run and gun is definitely fun
 
You'll get the hang of it soon! The reason it's hard is because everyone is essentially judged based upon being compared to the best shooters in the world, at least from a Classification standpoint.

Focus on being safe, not getting DQ'd, having fun and of course building skills!

I wish I would have gotten into this 20+ years ago when I was much younger and able to move much better, but no one I knew was going and I had no idea where to go for the matches.

It's a lot of fun when you start to beat the folks that have been beating you and giving you pointers! We only had one M Class shooter on our squad today. I was picking his brain every change I had and picked up a few more tips on stage planning etc.

I have yet to go to a match where I'm not learning at least a few things.
I literally shoot with a bunch of Masters and Grand Masters, lol. I shoot with the Manzano Team Guys alot. I learn more and more all the time.
 
Here's the shooting footage I was able to get from the match:

And the details overall. 22/46 shooters with 77.49%.

Combined results you can see I had three 80.2-85.9% stages, one 77.6%, one 68% & one 44.6% (first stage of the day Stage 5).

Since the Classifier was the 2nd stage of the day, I was mentally focusing on that instead of the first stage. It worked out well for my results on the classifier, but obviously tanked my performance for the first stage. Would have been a much better run if I wouldn't have completely missed a target for 2 Mike & 1 FTSA.

Division results you can see I absolutely DOMINATED with 100% on every stage! Too bad that's because I was the only dummy shooting Open :ROFLMAO:

1790351082141.webp
 
Oh I will because I have an amazing membership and it’s easy access since I can go whenever I want unlimited time. Tactical ranges not nearly as accessible sadly unless maybe you have the right location and connections. But run and gun is definitely fun
nvm what I said just realized my friend is a voting member at a tactical range and I can go anytime he goes lol
 
Back
Top Bottom