18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Impressed with the HK VP9A1 K

Gawernator

🛡️ Range Member
Range Member
Messages
5,295
Aesthetically very pleasing, super reliable. The trigger, mag release and the grip interchangeability are fantastic.

The PDP still has an even better trigger and grip angle, for comparison.

With the angle on the VP9 I need to put the small backstrap or the top of the grip rubs my thumb knuckle and starts hurting pretty fast.

Whatever they did to the improved trigger worked, the break is very crisp and light, reset is short and pretty positive.

It’s pretty much perfect concealment size.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0064.webp
    IMG_0064.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0066.webp
    IMG_0066.webp
    265.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0067.webp
    IMG_0067.webp
    26.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0063.webp
    IMG_0063.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
Agreed 100%, I'm liking mine a lot too. It's at 800 stoppage-free rounds so far, typical HK reliability.

Things I like: Reliable, accurate, good trigger, robust optic mounting system. The CA "features" are well designed, no powder residue out of a hole on top, instead it's a tasteful modification to the extractor. Simple mag disconnect design, again no major changes just a modification to one existing part and it doesn't add any complexity to takedown. And one thing I don't see talked about enough, no need to pull the trigger to field strip, that's a nice touch. And the design contributes to ease of concealment.

Things I don't like: I'd prefer a more aggressive texture on the grips, and extending higher up the sides (I realize this is to some extent personal preference, and it's easy to fix with grip tape). I wish there were an in-between size of iron sights offered on the web store, taller than the low sights but lower than the tall ones on the long slides. Again an easy fix if HK (or the aftermarket) so chooses.

A couple of comments on the VP vs the PDP: I agree the PDP trigger is "better" in a target or competition context. But I think the PDP trigger is a little light for carry, and prefer the VP trigger for that purpose. Not a surprising design choice given all the mil and le sales by HK. I also prefer the PDP grip shape. Where the PDP loses me is the massive angular slide which is fine for duty use but really difficult to conceal without printing; the snappy recoil, which can be tamed with the proper grip... but, why? (again this may be an advantage in competition, because it's also back on target really fast, if ones fundamentals are solid); the less robust optic mount system, which leaves a small opening into the striker channel at the rear and uses smaller M3 screws; and the near absence of parts support by Walther. I gave up looking for spare 10-round mags after six months. HK in comparison may not have everything in stock at any given time, but I haven't so far had to wait all that long to get anything.
 
I really like my F and K. Are you considering any upgrades to it?

I have big hands and have had a couple issues with the slide not locking back, the slide release is rather large and my thumb gets in the way with my high grip. I ordered the low profile slide release below and will try this out. Also considering the Grayguns adjustable hybrid trigger and they also offer a service to modify the factory slide release so I might consider that if the low profile HK slide release doesn't work out.

I'm also waiting for the Taylor Freelance backstrap in aluminum they are releasing and will get their mag well. With the redesigned mag well on the HK it doesn't really need it, but I like the TF mag well because it puts more pressure for my high grip and I feel locked in. With the Talon granulate grips, I'll have the perfect setup.

The gun really doesn't need a new trigger, the stock is really good. I just prefer a flatter trigger. Gray guns also offers a bunch of services, but I like keeping internals stock and this gun runs great as is.

 
Last edited:
I’m considering this pistol for a casual competition gun and maybe later for teaching. Any issues with reliability?
 
I’m considering this pistol for a casual competition gun and maybe later for teaching. Any issues with reliability?
how dare you GIF
 
I really like my F and K. Are you considering any upgrades to it?

I have big hands and have had a couple issues with the slide not locking back, the slide release is rather large and my thumb gets in the way with my high grip. I ordered the low profile slide release below and will try this out. Also considering the Grayguns adjustable hybrid trigger and they also offer a service to modify the factory slide release so I might consider that if the low profile HK slide release doesn't work out.

I'm also waiting for the Taylor Freelance backstrap in aluminum they are releasing and will get their mag well. With the redesigned mag well on the HK it doesn't really need it, but I like the TF mag well because it puts more pressure for my high grip and I feel locked in. With the Talon granulate grips, I'll have the perfect setup.

The gun really doesn't need a new trigger, the stock is really good. I just prefer a flatter trigger. Gray guns also offers a bunch of services, but I like keeping internals stock and this gun runs great as is.

The slide not locking back is a common issue with a standard thumbs-forward grip. The way around it is simple: Move the strong hand thumb slightly out to rest on top of the other thumb, and clear of the slide release. A quarter inch is all it takes. Or a Jedlinski "wave grip" also works, with thumbs up but look it up, he explains it better than I can. In any case it happened to me once, and I've not had a failure to lock back since making a minor adjustment.

One unrelated thing to add to the discussion: Right after my post above it was time to go to the range, to add my VP9k to my CCW. The qualifier up here for a newly added pistol is 50 rounds, this instructor does a B-27 target, in the 8, 9, or 10 zones at 12.5 yards. Piece of cake with a VP9k with an EPS mounted, 100% score, most in the 10 ring, a few in the 9, at about a one round per every two seconds cadence. While the other eight guys were agonizing over every round, the VP9k with optic made it easy and totally non-stressful. Almost too easy, if there is such a thing. While I've never failed a qual in many years of doing this, the VP9k qual was the easiest one ever.
 
I really like my F and K. Are you considering any upgrades to it?

I have big hands and have had a couple issues with the slide not locking back, the slide release is rather large and my thumb gets in the way with my high grip. I ordered the low profile slide release below and will try this out. Also considering the Grayguns adjustable hybrid trigger and they also offer a service to modify the factory slide release so I might consider that if the low profile HK slide release doesn't work out.

I'm also waiting for the Taylor Freelance backstrap in aluminum they are releasing and will get their mag well. With the redesigned mag well on the HK it doesn't really need it, but I like the TF mag well because it puts more pressure for my high grip and I feel locked in. With the Talon granulate grips, I'll have the perfect setup.

The gun really doesn't need a new trigger, the stock is really good. I just prefer a flatter trigger. Gray guns also offers a bunch of services, but I like keeping internals stock and this gun runs great as is.

Seems like an amazing gun and I will CCW it so really nothing to upgrade. Comes stock optic ready with a tritium sight and really good trigger.
 
I’m considering this pistol for a casual competition gun and maybe later for teaching. Any issues with reliability?
My P2000SK has like 2500 rounds through it and has never had a stoppage lmao. HK are super reliable
 
Agreed 100%, I'm liking mine a lot too. It's at 800 stoppage-free rounds so far, typical HK reliability.

Things I like: Reliable, accurate, good trigger, robust optic mounting system. The CA "features" are well designed, no powder residue out of a hole on top, instead it's a tasteful modification to the extractor. Simple mag disconnect design, again no major changes just a modification to one existing part and it doesn't add any complexity to takedown. And one thing I don't see talked about enough, no need to pull the trigger to field strip, that's a nice touch. And the design contributes to ease of concealment.

Things I don't like: I'd prefer a more aggressive texture on the grips, and extending higher up the sides (I realize this is to some extent personal preference, and it's easy to fix with grip tape). I wish there were an in-between size of iron sights offered on the web store, taller than the low sights but lower than the tall ones on the long slides. Again an easy fix if HK (or the aftermarket) so chooses.

A couple of comments on the VP vs the PDP: I agree the PDP trigger is "better" in a target or competition context. But I think the PDP trigger is a little light for carry, and prefer the VP trigger for that purpose. Not a surprising design choice given all the mil and le sales by HK. I also prefer the PDP grip shape. Where the PDP loses me is the massive angular slide which is fine for duty use but really difficult to conceal without printing; the snappy recoil, which can be tamed with the proper grip... but, why? (again this may be an advantage in competition, because it's also back on target really fast, if ones fundamentals are solid); the less robust optic mount system, which leaves a small opening into the striker channel at the rear and uses smaller M3 screws; and the near absence of parts support by Walther. I gave up looking for spare 10-round mags after six months. HK in comparison may not have everything in stock at any given time, but I haven't so far had to wait all that long to get anything.
I see magazines readily available at multiple retailers so I'm not sure what your issue was. PDP and VP9 triggers are about the same pull strength. Both around 4.5-5.5 lbs per pull. As you can see in the pic the slide is a tiny bit wider but in real life there's basically no difference in printing. The grip length prints more than anything

According to the internet one guy tested his A1K at 4.9 lbs and one PDP at 4.5 lbs. Very tiny difference. Both are completely fine for duty/CCW usage. The PDP is used by multiple police and military groups
 
My P2000SK has like 2500 rounds through it and has never had a stoppage lmao. HK are super reliable
I have both the standard P2000 and SK...both are amazing! And you have bragging rights...just look at the fellow carrier at the barbecue and ask..."so does your gun's barrel have cannon ordnance steel? Oh, it doesn't...so sad..."
 
I’m considering this pistol for a casual competition gun and maybe later for teaching. Any issues with reliability?
Got an F model this year and have about 2K through it with zero malfunctions that weren't by reloads. I think the chamber is closer to SAAMI spec than my other 9mm guns and requires and short OAL for the bullets I am using. Did a class and an shot about 400 rnds of factory ammo in 2 hrs and worked 100%. Really happy with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom