18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Is it legal to replace recoil spring and guide rod with CCW permitted firearms?

Yes, it’s legal. It also comports with every IA policy I’ve ever heard of. Can you imagine an IA insisting that CCW permit holders defend themselves with worn out springs or parts on their guns? In the one-in-a-million chance that anyone ever asked you about why you changed your recoil spring, an appropriate response would be, “I wanted to keep my gun in good operating condition.”
 
I think IA's, that wander into the business of what parts you must have, take on enormous liability should it fail to perform. Surprised their Risk Management folks allow it in any fashion.
 
I think IA's, that wander into the business of what parts you must have, take on enormous liability should it fail to perform. Surprised their Risk Management folks allow it in any fashion.
The indemnification clause in the application pretty much covers all ills for the IA, including problems caused by their acts or omissions. The really careful ones provide restrictions.
 
Those are parts that wear out. It’s part of maintenance. I replace recoil springs every 2500-3000 rounds or when brass start flying. I replaced all the plastic guide rods with steel. You aren’t lightening the trigger.

At 10,000 rounds my P-01 needed a new hammer spring, firing pin spring and plunger spring. At 5,000 rounds my P365 XL needed a new trigger bar return spring and firing pin spring assembly.

If you take classes and train with your CCW equipment, you will wear parts out. Maintaining the reliability of your CCW
equipment is a common sense.
 
The indemnification clause in the application pretty much covers all ills for the IA, including problems caused by their acts or omissions. The really careful ones provide restrictions.
What's the point? IA's are charged with issuing licenses to those that apply, nowhere (that I know of) were they tasked with being gunsmiths or "gun modification police". If they got out of the gun police business, they could issue more permits more quickly.
 
Last edited:
What's the point? IA's are charged with issuing licenses to those that apply, nowhere (that I know of) were they tasked with being gunsmiths or "gun modification police". If they got out of the gun police business, they could issue more perm its.
And perhaps that's one of the reasons why some IAs are undertaking these policies.
 
With the exception of sights (prefer the XS big dot w v notch rear), my CCW is bone stock. How about this? Get another firearm identical to your CCW and modify it to reduce the snappiness. That way you can practice or take a class and do extended shooting. Every now and then shoot your CCW to be familiar with the more snappy recoil. I have a comfort issue with CCW choice in that after 5 or 6 mags I don’t want to shoot it anymore. It’s not an issue for self defense but it is an issue if I want to take a class or shoot at or over 100 rounds during practice. Solution was to get a range mule pistol where I fixed that problem and can shoot as much as I like. In my case, it is an aging thing as 15+ years ago, I never had this issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom