18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Is the 10mm really dead in CA like I hear

I had no idea the 10mm Glocks fell of the roster. I'll be listing one soon.
 
Well not with that attitude

Its an observation. My dad's buddy used to do a lot of fly finish up in Alaska, and grizzly encounters were a thing. He carried a Marlin guide gun in .45-70 slung over his back. I asked him why (not a pistol) and he said you will either see them coming or you won't, and if you don't a pistol won't make a difference. If you do, you want a rifle. He said their ability to sneak up on you unheard and unseen was uncanny.

In California, with some very few excepts for the guys way up north, not a thing.
 
Its an observation. My dad's buddy used to do a lot of fly finish up in Alaska, and grizzly encounters were a thing. He carried a Marlin guide gun in .45-70 slung over his back. I asked him why (not a pistol) and he said you will either see them coming or you won't, and if you don't a pistol won't make a difference. If you do, you want a rifle. He said their ability to sneak up on you unheard and unseen was uncanny.

In California, with some very few excepts for the guys way up north, not a thing.
I still think the best reason to have one is to want one. When I went fly fishing in Montana and Idaho I would have liked to have a pistol in 10mm as an option. I did have bear spray but it would be nice to have something I’ve used and practiced with, I’ve been looking to get a 10mm or 45 caliber and while I’m not in a rush and a 45 seems to be adequate the ballistics out of a carbine for 10 would be better and I like the idea of being able to shoot 40 if necessary. Obviously a rifle is going to be better than a pistol but whereas I would carry a pistol with me fly fishing I don’t own and I don’t think I’d carry any rifles in a bear cartridge when I was out fishing or hiking, or even keep it in the car when I was driving around.

There are numerous occasions of people stopping bears with pistols, and id at least like the option to try them out and see if it’s something I’d like rather than be relegated to something else. Also, I have a buddy who goes boar hunting and he likes to keep a 10mm as a backup in case he gets charged.
 
ENOUGH with the bear talk! Nobody is shooting a bear in self defense. Nobody is 10mm'ng a bloodthirsty bear while going for a walk. It ALWAYS comes up the second 10mm is mentioned...

I love my SIG P220 Legion in 10MM. I know that if I'm threatened by a bear wearing body armor that I will be able to knock that bear on it's back, even if it won't penetrate the armor because, I would hate to kill or injure a bear. Not a weapon for small people to use.
 
Last edited:
Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about the 10mm options that are not a revolver. As of right now it’s the kimber as the only option. I don’t think I am opposed to it, but it never feels good to only have one option.

I know some folks think it’s not needed and yes bear spray is my primary deterrent, but when I get out there ( mostly out of California where there are more than the cute black bears) I like to be prepared. If I am only with the family, I really don’t want to carry a rifle. 9mm urban, 10mm wilderness. Seems like a simple setup, and yet … just the kimber.
Any 1911 in 45 can have a new top end built in 10mm.
10mm 1911 magazines all go into a 45acp 1911 bottom half.
 
I still think the best reason to have one is to want one. When I went fly fishing in Montana and Idaho I would have liked to have a pistol in 10mm as an option. I did have bear spray but it would be nice to have something I’ve used and practiced with, I’ve been looking to get a 10mm or 45 caliber and while I’m not in a rush and a 45 seems to be adequate the ballistics out of a carbine for 10 would be better and I like the idea of being able to shoot 40 if necessary. Obviously a rifle is going to be better than a pistol but whereas I would carry a pistol with me fly fishing I don’t own and I don’t think I’d carry any rifles in a bear cartridge when I was out fishing or hiking, or even keep it in the car when I was driving around.

There are numerous occasions of people stopping bears with pistols, and id at least like the option to try them out and see if it’s something I’d like rather than be relegated to something else. Also, I have a buddy who goes boar hunting and he likes to keep a 10mm as a backup in case he gets charged.
although i'm a 1911 fan, i think .45acp is woefully underpowered and not really relevant for its intended uses these days. Yes, 10mm outperforms it in every way imaginable. I do prefer to shoot .45 for target shooting as i like the easy recoil and (relatively) cheap and abundant ammo available.
 
Every day I wake up and find a new reason to hate the left.


View attachment 147455
That's mighty narrow minded of you. Ever since DJT was elected I abandoned the Republican party and associated with the left. Then once JB was elected I abandoned political parties all together. I'm one of the slightly right of center people that fully supports the 2nd amendment that has been left behind and feels like I have no voice. The EXTREME right and EXTREME left are too F-ing loud these days and have ruined this country for the rest of us.
Ronald Regan, the first president I voted for started stomping on our 2A rights and I'll never forgive that SOB.
Stop blaming the other side and start seeing ALL politicians for what they are: power and money grubbing narcissists who don't want you to have any rights.
<steps down from soap box>
 
That's mighty narrow minded of you. Ever since DJT was elected I abandoned the Republican party and associated with the left. Then once JB was elected I abandoned political parties all together. I'm one of the slightly right of center people that fully supports the 2nd amendment that has been left behind and feels like I have no voice. The EXTREME right and EXTREME left are too F-ing loud these days and have ruined this country for the rest of us.
Ronald Regan, the first president I voted for started stomping on our 2A rights and I'll never forgive that SOB.
Stop blaming the other side and start seeing ALL politicians for what they are: power and money grubbing narcissists who don't want you to have any rights.
<steps down from soap box>
Echoed on that, politically I can't stand either side. It's either 2A for all or it becomes 2A for "some" and I'd rather have everyone toting around M240Bravos with silencers than a politician arbitrarily deciding legislation on "feels" or "loyalty".
 
I feel like people like the idea of 10mm more than actually going out to the store and buying one. Also doesn't help that 66.66% of our semi 10mm options fell off the roster last month.
 
I feel like people like the idea of 10mm more than actually going out to the store and buying one. Also doesn't help that 66.66% of our semi 10mm options fell off the roster last month.
I like the idea of 10mm, but I like shooting 10mm even more. I have several different models, and I dont mind if people jump on the forum to say they're going nowhere, a niche, a fading round or whatever.

Everyone has their own interests, and I'm just trying to share info with those that are interested.

I also shoot plenty of other calibers so if 10mm goes away, I'll continue to shoot other stuff.
 
I like the idea of 10mm, but I like shooting 10mm even more. I have several different models, and I dont mind if people jump on the forum to say they're going nowhere, a niche, a fading round or whatever.

Everyone has their own interests, and I'm just trying to share info with those that are interested.

I also shoot plenty of other calibers so if 10mm goes away, I'll continue to shoot other stuff.

I think you missed my point. People on the internet talk up 10mm like it's the best thing since sliced bread and the sales numbers don't back it up.

As a longtime glock 20 owner, I like 10mm. It's cool but I'm not a diehard 10mm guy. I would however like to see more 10mm options on roster.

That being said, people will always want what they can't have and I, to a degree, fall into that mindset from time to time.
 
I think you missed my point. People on the internet talk up 10mm like it's the best thing since sliced bread and the sales numbers don't back it up.

As a longtime glock 20 owner, I like 10mm. It's cool but I'm not a diehard 10mm guy. I would however like to see more 10mm options on roster.

That being said, people will always want what they can't have and I, to a degree, fall into that mindset from time to time.
I don't think I missed your point. I just happened to respond to you and included your point with the more negative sentiments I hear. The point of sales not backing it up is valid, but I just wish we could see all the numbers. When CA gun stores say nobody buys 10mm, it seems because only Glock, Kimber and revolvers have been options lately. However, gun store owners would know better than me so I don't want to insinuate those claims are incorrect.

If the P220 Legion was still on the roster, I would grab one, but that was a bit high when it was available. I missed the boat on that one.

I also fall into the "want what they can't have" mindset, but that is almost everyone in CA with the roster making us honorary members.
 
I want a 10mm because I fantasize about one day hiking in Grizzly country . I also want a S&W FPC 10mm but it seems awesome.
 
I hope not. It's such a fun range round. I have the G20c and G29sf and bring them to range days often, especially for people who have never shot 10mm before. That being said ammo can get a bit pricy.

I hope there's at least a future in PCCs. I picked up the Smith & Wesson FPC 10mm and love that thing.
 
I still think the best reason to have one is to want one. When I went fly fishing in Montana and Idaho I would have liked to have a pistol in 10mm as an option. I did have bear spray but it would be nice to have something I’ve used and practiced with, I’ve been looking to get a 10mm or 45 caliber and while I’m not in a rush and a 45 seems to be adequate the ballistics out of a carbine for 10 would be better and I like the idea of being able to shoot 40 if necessary. Obviously a rifle is going to be better than a pistol but whereas I would carry a pistol with me fly fishing I don’t own and I don’t think I’d carry any rifles in a bear cartridge when I was out fishing or hiking, or even keep it in the car when I was driving around.

There are numerous occasions of people stopping bears with pistols, and id at least like the option to try them out and see if it’s something I’d like rather than be relegated to something else. Also, I have a buddy who goes boar hunting and he likes to keep a 10mm as a backup in case he gets charged.
Well I did not mean to start a rant thread, but what you express is exactly what I think about it. Do I intend to shoot a bear, absolutely not. Heck, I would happy to never walk up on one.. But I have, and yes Bear spray works just fine, and yes, a backup to the backup seems like a good idea.

To the gentleman who said "no one is shooting a bear" since I dont know how to quote multiple in one thread. - We all hope not to. Most of us will never have to. But damned if I want to be that person who actively chose that I wont and therefore should only carry a 9MM after I shot my bear spray a bit to early and the wind took it. Now my last thoughts before the fun starts are not about loving my kids but more focused that I am holding a 9mm wishing I was a bit more prepared.

The point was I was looking to have one sidearm that would fit all situations in the wild. When I fish, I dont bring a rifle. When I camp with the family, I dont bring a rifle. Maybe I should, but I dont. 10MM has little downside, outside of a heavier kick. I was just hoping more options were upcoming.
 
Back
Top Bottom