18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Is there anything more frustrating than Calguns??

I'm on several forum marketplace.

Even Calguns, yea they banned and deleted S.O.A.R./ CheapBloke off Calguns, but that didn't stop me from making another account and having it approved.

I'm on reddit mainly, for trades that doesn't require ffl. My numbers on Arfcom is getting higher and more steadily on it than here.

I did manage to score some good buys on here, but lately it's been on elsewhere.

The marketplace was really something else (in a good way) on here at start. When you could threadcrap in a way of emojis on listings, but that went away.

Most of listings search on here is annoying to navigate as a default, it shows sold and closed items within available items. Gotta keep changing filters per every search. By default they should not be shown, and users should have to filter to see them (like ebay, another platform I trade on.)

Despite what I may have stated in past. It's good to have options, whether good, bad, or ugly, it helps to filters out who and where to buy from.
I've suggested this myself. Only show OPEN items by default, but allow users to modify filter to show sold/closed.
 
You do realize that older folks invented computers, the Internet, Ethernet, BBS systems, all existing primary firearms technologies, lasers, advanced optics, cell phones, advanced battery technology, html, html5, databases, etc.? Pretty much the foundation of everything that modern society is built upon.
There is a wide gulf in technical ability among boomers.
 
I've suggested this myself. Only show OPEN items by default, but allow users to modify filter to show sold/closed.
You’re using the quick search.

It is time to phase out the read only marketplace forum. It’s only there because people kept getting confused from Calguns. Once we remove it only the classifieds section will show which has the default filter to open ads.

The forums have a little lag behind it so clean up is a little longer.

I’m making more adjustments so this is one of those things that’s on my list to clean up.
 
In general some older folks experience diminishing capacities, a normal symptom of aging. As a result, some of them can be victimized. On the other hand, I know a 💩load of younger people who are as gullible as a kitten but, unlike kittens, they don't learn their lessons quickly. Ageism is one of those really funny things because, one day, not too long from now, you're gonna look in the mirror and say "Who is that old, ugly F- starring at me", just like everyone else does, sooner or later. The years go by far faster than you think they will and in the end we all lose the game, even if you think your winning now.
I think many older folks are more gullible because they came up in a different world. Scams are high-tech and far more nuanced today. What may be obvious to younger, tech-savvy people is lost on a lot of Boomers and older.

However, anyone lacking basic tech knowledge is vulnerable for the more elaborate scams, including those who lack critical-thinking skills.
 
You’re using the quick search.

It is time to phase out the read only marketplace forum. It’s only there because people kept getting confused from Calguns. Once we remove it only the classifieds section will show which has the default filter to open ads.

The forums have a little lag behind it so clean up is a little longer.

I’m making more adjustments so this is one of those things that’s on my list to clean up.
I'm a Gold Star CAGuns.net user and have never set eyes on CalGuns. :)

I just noticed that some of my searches included closed and sold listing which should always default to open but for filter changes from user.

Even if I want to browse off-roster listings in SoCal (two filter variables), that should still default to open listings.
 
I'm a Gold Star CAGuns.net user and have never set eyes on CalGuns. :)

I just noticed that some of my searches included closed and sold listing which should always default to open but for filter changes from user.

Even if I want to browse off-roster listings in SoCal (two filter variables), that should still default to open listings.
Thank you for the support!

Where are you using the search feature? It’s likely you’re using the search in the forum section and not the classifieds. That will be addressed soon.

For the longest time I didn’t even realize how many people were using that search bar up top for classifieds
 
Thank you for the support!

Where are you using the search feature? It’s likely you’re using the search in the forum section and not the classifieds. That will be addressed soon.

For the longest time I didn’t even realize how many people were using that search bar up top for classifieds
In response to the above, maybe you don't realize not everyone uses "search" for classifieds. Sometimes they might just click on the forum area. The only way to miss all the extraneous stuff is to use search and set the filters every time. The "old" way is actually more efficient if one is just looking to see what is available, rather than searching. Why not have a setting to include sold items, or not? No point in making closed listings available, since the actual listing can't be seen. Right now, unless one uses a search, it's just clutter.
 
In response to the above, maybe you don't realize not everyone uses "search" for classifieds. Sometimes they might just click on the forum area. The only way to miss all the extraneous stuff is to use search and set the filters every time. The "old" way is actually more efficient if one is just looking to see what is available, rather than searching. Why not have a setting to include sold items, or not? No point in making closed listings available, since the actual listing can't be seen. Right now, unless one uses a search, it's just clutter.
You can go to Classifieds you can browse that way or use the search checkboxes. It's a lot faster to find things.

The confusion is because we copy listings in classifieds over to forums.

We have our advanced search feature too. It just so happens a lot of people use the "other" search box that pulls from everything available.
 
You can go to Classifieds you can browse that way or use the search checkboxes. It's a lot faster to find things.

The confusion is because we copy listings in classifieds over to forums.

We have our advanced search feature too. It just so happens a lot of people use the "other" search box that pulls from everything available.
IMHO it's the weirdest setup I've ever seen. Go to classifieds, and everything is shown. One has to select options. In the forums, items are listed that are completely unusable, due to closed or expired, and the forum can't be filtered. For someone in love with databases, sure, it works. It's waaaay different than anything else on any forum that I've ever seen, and IMO it's too different. Just awkward. Tech guys often don't/can't see what average people see. I remember the blinking cursor, where one could do anything, but you have to remember the language and format, but it would do anything. This setup is somewhat related.
 
IMHO it's the weirdest setup I've ever seen. Go to classifieds, and everything is shown. One has to select options. In the forums, items are listed that are completely unusable, due to closed or expired, and the forum can't be filtered. For someone in love with databases, sure, it works. It's waaaay different than anything else on any forum that I've ever seen, and IMO it's too different. Just awkward. Tech guys often don't/can't see what average people see. I remember the blinking cursor, where one could do anything, but you have to remember the language and format, but it would do anything. This setup is somewhat related.
If you go to classifieds, its the ssame as Calguns except visually. The filters are optional. It's in chronological last updated/bumped order only OPEN listings only.

The old way on Calguns just has a text line. You have to manually scan everything listing. Listings with bad titles waste your time because they might not be near you.

So I'm not sure how you mean its unusable, they get pruned every couple of weeks. Calguns and other forums never delete listings. They still have listings from 2006. The ones here expire out after 90 days so you know the listing is stale.

That's why this setup is a hybrid. The forum section is basically the same as calguns with the bumping style, with the exception that you know when its closed. I don't think you need to love databases. Go to classifieds, click your region and you have a list of things near you with pictures and tons of info at a glance.
 
If you go to classifieds, its the ssame as Calguns except visually. The filters are optional. It's in chronological last updated/bumped order only OPEN listings only.

The old way on Calguns just has a text line. You have to manually scan everything listing. Listings with bad titles waste your time.

So I'm not sure how you mean its unusable, they get pruned every couple of weeks. Calguns and other forums never delete listings. They still have from 2006. The ones here expire out after 90 days so you know the listing is stale.

That's why this setup is a hybrid. The forum section is basically the same as calguns with the bumping style, with the exception that you know when its closed. I don't think you need to love databases. Go to classifieds, click your region and you have a list of things near you with pictures and tons of info at a glance.
You miss my points.
 
You miss my points.
You're right, I don't get it.

This is exactly like how Calguns is but cleaner. (Old style filtered not closed or expired) Both options are available, so people who want to use the filters can or don't have to and can use the search options.

https://caguns.net/search/?type=post - same as you would do on calguns. The old way still exists..


This is the same list on the new system with search realtime filter options. You literally have both ways of doing it.


Let me know if there's anything that needs clarification. Generally speaking, this is why the site is very popular is because you save a lot of time.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the support!

Where are you using the search feature? It’s likely you’re using the search in the forum section and not the classifieds. That will be addressed soon.

For the longest time I didn’t even realize how many people were using that search bar up top for classifieds
Thanks Ikeo!

I generally use the Classifieds search, though on rare occasions I'll do a general search with Classifieds filter. I prefer the Classifieds search though. Maybe you've already changed the default status to be open ads, so my apologies if I'm out-of-date here.
 
You make chaos sound like its not going to be fun. Bullets become currency, guns become law and every man becomes his best inner savage. Or he gets raped and eaten alive. Cant say id rape anyone but im damn sure eating me some people. Hell yeah with Chic-fil-a honey raosted BBQ sauce!
People that try to go it alone will be some of the first to parish. People working together stand the greatest chance of survival.
 
Personally, I would never become a member of a "parish", too cultish for me.
Then you may be susceptible to “perish” as a result in the EOTW dystopian future that will probably never happen like we think it will.

The Earth is more likely to get hit by a planet killer sized space meteor and it will all be over in a flash, with a reset of the clock. Who is to say that hasn’t already occurred millions of years ago?
 
Then you may be susceptible to “perish” as a result in the EOTW dystopian future that will probably never happen like we think it will.

The Earth is more likely to get hit by a planet killer sized space meteor and it will all be over in a flash, with a reset of the clock. Who is to say that hasn’t already occurred millions of years ago?

I'd really like to see your math in this statistical prediction? I think you are way underestimating the stupidity of the human species, ignoring our history of visiting ever more lethal and efficient methods of killing or disabling entire societies. Natures timetable of cataclysm is millions of times longer than the human timetable. We hate each other with a passion and most tribes have strong desire to neuter the other tribes. It's the people who know how to do stuff, without Youtube, who will stand the best chance of survival.
 
Back
Top Bottom