18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Judge my load [shotshell]

Using a Winchester AA hull:

1740949074938.png

Let me start by saying I substitute a Ched 209 primer for the Win 209 primer, and I have not run into any issues. I have never tested for pressure differences, but FPS results have consistently been very similar.


This is a great hunting/long range load out of WIN AA hulls using an ounce-an-and-an-eighth of shot. If you are using shot sizes 7.5 or 8 or reclaimed shot, I highly recommend using the older AA hulls if you can find them because they are slightly taller, and give you a little bit more volume to hold the shot thus producing a better crimp and full closure.

You can avoid this problem by using Remington hulls for LongShot loads you can build upwards of 1500fps (seen my next post).
 
Last edited:
IMO, can build a much better shotshell using a Remington STS or Rem Nitro 27 hull. That being said, DO NOT USE Remington Gun Club hulls on loads above 1300fps using LongShot. The plastic was separate from the base. I was warned about this year’s ago and tried it anyway, and it happened. Lucky I didn’t mess up my autoloader. The windjammer wad data is by far my favorite due increased speed and an acceptable pattern for bird hunting.

Again I have substituted a Cheddite 209 for the Win 209 primer with no issues.

Data using a Remington SST, Remington Nitro 27 hull:
1740950023964.jpeg

Reminder- DO NOT use Rem Gun Club hills f?or this load.
 
Last edited:
I’m glad to see everything cycled for you. Your 29gr loads only running 1000-1100fps gave me pause for thought… Longshot is a very slow burning powder, and potentially dirty if doesn’t all burn up.

Have you pulled apart your gun to see how dirty it may be?
Not yet. I usually clean my guns after every outing, but I haven’t gotten to this one yet. I don’t expect it to be too dirty cause I only ran 40 rounds including factory rounds to compare velocities, but I’ll check for unusual dirty-ness. 👍
 
I have loaded up some “loudshot” rounds similar to what you have loaded. I don’t recall the amount of powder but it was cheddite hulls, primers, 12S3 clone wads, 1-1/8 oz #7.5 shot. They were stout rounds in my Benelli nova which I have shot 3-1/2” magnum turkey rounds through. The rounds I loaded were not quite as powerful but they were easily noticeable that they were not standard loads by their sound and amount of recoil. If you go to a pot shoot, you will hear the same kind of ammo being shot.
 
Back
Top Bottom