18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

LA County really said, “Inflation can’t do all the work around here.”The latest sales tax increase in Los Angeles County took effect Thursday…

30tokens

Member+
2A
2026
Messages
173
The tax to remain in effect through Oct. 1, 2031…

Tax rates vary among Los Angeles County cities, with some reaching 11.25%, including Azusa, Calabasas, Compton, Gardena and Santa Monica.

Lancaster and Palmdale have the county’s highest sales tax rate at 11.75%.

 
California has to have the stupidest voters in the entire country. They keep voting for the same idiots that keep raising taxes.
 
bothIdiots or taxes? (Rhetorical question)
Game Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG
 
California has to have the stupidest voters in the entire country. They keep voting for the same idiots that keep raising taxes.
I don’t think this is just a state issue. Cities and counties put measures on the ballot, and voters approved them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, and that funding helps keep police, firefighters, streetlights, roads, and other essential services running.


In my opinion, the bigger issue is that company owners aren’t paying their employees enough to make a decent living. People should be able to work and get ahead instead of working just to survive.


That said, some people do make a decent living, then pile on expenses with expensive hobbies and other spending, lol. In those cases, they’re struggling because they’re living beyond their means, not because they don’t earn enough.
 
I don’t think this is just a state issue. Cities and counties put measures on the ballot, and voters approved them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, and that funding helps keep police, firefighters, streetlights, roads, and other essential services running.


In my opinion, the bigger issue is that company owners aren’t paying their employees enough to make a decent living. People should be able to work and get ahead instead of working just to survive.


That said, some people do make a decent living, then pile on expenses with expensive hobbies and other spending, lol. In those cases, they’re struggling because they’re living beyond their means, not because they don’t earn enough.
I would be more sympathetic to this argument if our public transit was clean and usable, police weren't AWOL, the fire department didn't just burn half the city down, roads weren't filled with potholes and cracks, schools taught reading and arithmetic, and billions of dollars didn't go towards keeping people homeless and drug addicted.

I'm gonna go ahead and aim my discontent at the gang taking half my money at gun point, rather than with my boss who is doing his best to keep our business afloat against an unending torrent of F-ery from local, state, and federal governments.
 
I would be more sympathetic to this argument if our public transit was clean and usable, police weren't AWOL, the fire department didn't just burn half the city down, roads weren't filled with potholes and cracks, schools taught reading and arithmetic, and billions of dollars didn't go towards keeping people homeless and drug addicted.

I'm gonna go ahead and aim my discontent at the gang taking half my money at gun point, rather than with my boss who is doing his best to keep our business afloat against an unending torrent of F-ery from local, state, and federal governments.

I get what you’re saying, and I understand the frustration. With what we pay, we should expect clean, usable public transit, police who show up when needed, better roads, and schools that teach kids reading and math. And with all the money spent on homelessness and addiction, it’s fair to ask where it’s going and why we aren’t seeing better results.


The fire part hits a little closer to home because I was there. From what I saw, no firefighter let anything burn because they wanted to. They were doing everything they could to save people and their homes. I understand questioning how things were handled, but I think the firefighters out there deserve some credit too.


My original point was just that this isn’t only a state thing. Cities and counties put some of these measures on the ballot, and people voted for them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, so funding is needed, but we should still expect it to be used properly.


I hear you about your boss trying to keep the business afloat with taxes and everything coming from local, state, and federal government. I respect that. I wasn’t saying every business owner is doing something wrong. I just think some companies have room to pay their employees better, and that’s worth talking about too.


And like I said, some people make decent money but keep adding expenses and expensive hobbies, lol. That’s a different situation because they’re living beyond their means. I think we probably agree on more than it sounds like. I want people working full time to have a chance to get ahead, and I want us to get better services for the money we pay.
 
I don’t think this is just a state issue. Cities and counties put measures on the ballot, and voters approved them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, and that funding helps keep police, firefighters, streetlights, roads, and other essential services running.


In my opinion, the bigger issue is that company owners aren’t paying their employees enough to make a decent living. People should be able to work and get ahead instead of working just to survive.
Our state government or 'special interests' put bonds and increased taxes on the ballot and either scare, lie or reword the initiative to get the uninformed to vote for them.

Our federal government jacked up inflation to create the higher prices. That was done by mass borrowing and monetary easing = printing money.
 
I don’t think this is just a state issue. Cities and counties put measures on the ballot, and voters approved them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, and that funding helps keep police, firefighters, streetlights, roads, and other essential services running.


In my opinion, the bigger issue is that company owners aren’t paying their employees enough to make a decent living. People should be able to work and get ahead instead of working just to survive.


That said, some people do make a decent living, then pile on expenses with expensive hobbies and other spending, lol. In those cases, they’re struggling because they’re living beyond their means, not because they don’t earn enough.
This is the same argument they make every single time and people go for it and vote to raise taxes on themselves. The money never goes to where they say it should. Instead its administration or pension burden. Or they build cycling infrastructure just to have the homeless occupy it and make it unsafe for the other citizens.
 
Then maybe they should cut spending rather than raise taxes. And yes, someone will be disappointed because some sort of service will be cut or reduced.
 
no firefighter let anything burn because they wanted to
Just to clarify, I didn't and don't blame actual firefighters. I blame systemic corruption on the departmental, city, and state level that led to the utter disaster last year, and I still have my suspicions about how intentional it was. I have friends who were there in the field, raring to go, whose hands were tied by bureaucratic crap and denial of resources.
 
I get what you’re saying, and I understand the frustration. With what we pay, we should expect clean, usable public transit, police who show up when needed, better roads, and schools that teach kids reading and math. And with all the money spent on homelessness and addiction, it’s fair to ask where it’s going and why we aren’t seeing better results.


The fire part hits a little closer to home because I was there. From what I saw, no firefighter let anything burn because they wanted to. They were doing everything they could to save people and their homes. I understand questioning how things were handled, but I think the firefighters out there deserve some credit too.


My original point was just that this isn’t only a state thing. Cities and counties put some of these measures on the ballot, and people voted for them. We have a huge infrastructure to maintain, so funding is needed, but we should still expect it to be used properly.


I hear you about your boss trying to keep the business afloat with taxes and everything coming from local, state, and federal government. I respect that. I wasn’t saying every business owner is doing something wrong. I just think some companies have room to pay their employees better, and that’s worth talking about too.


And like I said, some people make decent money but keep adding expenses and expensive hobbies, lol. That’s a different situation because they’re living beyond their means. I think we probably agree on more than it sounds like. I want people working full time to have a chance to get ahead, and I want us to get better services for the money we pay.
lol, you keep trying to just downplay it all, oh its everywhere , its not my precious democrats I keep electing.. Have fun with that
 
Just to clarify, I didn't and don't blame actual firefighters. I blame systemic corruption on the departmental, city, and state level that led to the utter disaster last year, and I still have my suspicions about how intentional it was. I have friends who were there in the field, raring to go, whose hands were tied by bureaucratic crap and denial of resources.
I was there on the ground, and from what I personally saw, none of that was happening. That said, I can’t speak for everyone who was there. I think we have to be careful about generalizing what people could have done without knowing the circumstances they were facing.


Sometimes red tape or bureaucracy is there to protect people, even when we don’t immediately see why. It’s kind of like when we tell our kids not to do something, they look at us like we’re dumb, then do it anyway and get hurt, lol. I get that some rules can be frustrating, but sometimes there’s a reason behind them.

I get what you’re saying, and I think we both want our money put to good use and our communities taken care of. We might see some things differently, but I respect your view and understand why you feel that way.




lol, you keep trying to just downplay it all, oh its everywhere , its not my precious democrats I keep electing.. Have fun with that
 
Not directed to any specific response …

Looking at comments, both sides have valid opinions and logically could be explained. Public services and transportation are required for solid society as well as supporting “boss keeping business afloat with two hands”.

The real point, Measure ER was designed to help specifically with healthcare, and when I’m looking at allocation and see 42% goes to healthcare, it just shows true commitment.
 
Love to see the forecast this increased revenue is expected to generate for each community. And why just "some" cities?
 
Back
Top Bottom