18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

LA County really said, “Inflation can’t do all the work around here.”The latest sales tax increase in Los Angeles County took effect Thursday…

California has to have the stupidest voters in the entire country. They keep voting for the same idiots that keep raising taxes.
Further, the idiots keep directly voting for measures that effectively tax themselves further.

Unfortunate that investigative news organizations are unwilling to do an expose on educational unions in particular. Anecdotal reporting from multiple sources indicates some serious graft there.
 
And the other 58% ends up in someone's pocket?
An internet search yields:
    • 45% Dedicated to community health clinics and primary care services for low-income and uninsured residents.
    • 22% Allocated directly to county hospitals and clinics.
    • 10% (Estimated $100 million annually) Intended to support the Department of Public Health's core functions and health equity grants.
    • Remaining Funds Distributed to safety-net hospitals (such as millions annually earmarked for MLK Community Healthcare), emergency care, family planning, school health programs, Medi-Cal enrollment support, jail and in-home healthcare, and the Pasadena and Long Beach public health departments.
Hoping this helps.

I do wonder about the $100 million annually dedicated to DPH core functions and "Health equity grants".

Another internet search yields the health equity grants do the following:
    • Address Disparities: Target root causes of systemic and structural discrimination affecting health outcomes in communities of color, low-income populations, LGBTQ+ individuals, and other underserved groups.
    • Build Infrastructure: Strengthen local public health departments, community networks, and institutional practices to sustainably support vulnerable populations.
    • Promote Access: Improve equitable access to medical care, mental health services, and social determinants of health like safe housing and healthy food.
 
I was there on the ground, and from what I personally saw, none of that was happening. That said, I can’t speak for everyone who was there. I think we have to be careful about generalizing what people could have done without knowing the circumstances they were facing.


Sometimes red tape or bureaucracy is there to protect people, even when we don’t immediately see why. It’s kind of like when we tell our kids not to do something, they look at us like we’re dumb, then do it anyway and get hurt, lol. I get that some rules can be frustrating, but sometimes there’s a reason behind them.

I get what you’re saying, and I think we both want our money put to good use and our communities taken care of. We might see some things differently, but I respect your view and understand why you feel that way.
So just keep doing the same thing and voting in more corruption
 
An internet search yields:
    • 45% Dedicated to community health clinics and primary care services for low-income and uninsured residents.
    • 22% Allocated directly to county hospitals and clinics.
    • 10% (Estimated $100 million annually) Intended to support the Department of Public Health's core functions and health equity grants.
    • Remaining Funds Distributed to safety-net hospitals (such as millions annually earmarked for MLK Community Healthcare), emergency care, family planning, school health programs, Medi-Cal enrollment support, jail and in-home healthcare, and the Pasadena and Long Beach public health departments.
Hoping this helps.

I do wonder about the $100 million annually dedicated to DPH core functions and "Health equity grants".

Another internet search yields the health equity grants do the following:
    • Address Disparities: Target root causes of systemic and structural discrimination affecting health outcomes in communities of color, low-income populations, LGBTQ+ individuals, and other underserved groups.
    • Build Infrastructure: Strengthen local public health departments, community networks, and institutional practices to sustainably support vulnerable populations.
    • Promote Access: Improve equitable access to medical care, mental health services, and social determinants of health like safe housing and healthy food.
I feel I should expand on this a bit.

I believe it's one of society's core roles to take care of the members of that society. Fire, police, medical are all core to that along with utilities, etc.

My question in posting the above is not that we need to help people. Rather, I'm uncertain about the effectiveness of this funding. It seems that considerable funds are provided to a wide variety of important issues - with little to show for it. That is when I question the effectiveness of what's being done and ask what can be done to do a better job.

Waaaaaaay back when I was in College the admins for the main-frame computer (yes. I'm that old) complained that valuable CPU time was burned by people submitting the exact same code over and over, hoping it would work. Doing the same thing with the same unsatisfactory results is... Let's be charitable and say "unwise".

I'm skeptical any serious evaluation has been done here. The reflexive response is to throw more funding at a problem, rather than look at the actual mechanics and perform a considered adjustment to our approach.

I know I know.... That's not how politics works.
 
"And with all the money spent on homelessness and addiction, it’s fair to ask where it’s going and why we aren’t seeing better results."

Because by very nature any organization created to solve problem that have government funding is not interested in solving this problem. Thik about it from point of view of an average burocrat in LA Government. If problem with homelessness goes away so his 200000+ job health insurance etc...

So no this problem will never get solved.

This is not unique to US by any means. Look at UN. Take for example Palestinian refugies. In 1948 there were less than half of million of them much less than German refugies from Poland Checoslovakia etc....

Now there are over 5 millions receiving assistance. Of cause nobody is interested in solving that problem. It is such nice business. So many relatives of important people are given nice paying jobs. And if time to time Palestinians go and bake Jewish infants in microwave and Jews in turn kill 70000 of them..... That is just a cost of that business.

What we have here is basically the same thing only on smaller scale. Who cares if Urkanian refugee getting stubbed on public transportation (in Charlotte IIRC)? Burocrats still get to allocate billions.
 
An internet search yields:
    • 45% Dedicated to community health clinics and primary care services for low-income and uninsured.
In other words, free health care for illegal aliens. I'm not ok with that. I spent my entire life here in California being denied health insurance I was willing to PAY FOR because of a pre existing condition.

That only changed at 65 when I signed up for Medicare.

No way am I supporting free health care for foreign invaders.
 
"And with all the money spent on homelessness and addiction, it’s fair to ask where it’s going and why we aren’t seeing better results."

Because by very nature any organization created to solve problem that have government funding is not interested in solving this problem. Thik about it from point of view of an average burocrat in LA Government. If problem with homelessness goes away so his 200000+ job health insurance etc...

So no this problem will never get solved.

This is not unique to US by any means. Look at UN. Take for example Palestinian refugies. In 1948 there were less than half of million of them much less than German refugies from Poland Checoslovakia etc....

Now there are over 5 millions receiving assistance. Of cause nobody is interested in solving that problem. It is such nice business. So many relatives of important people are given nice paying jobs. And if time to time Palestinians go and bake Jewish infants in microwave and Jews in turn kill 70000 of them..... That is just a cost of that business.

What we have here is basically the same thing only on smaller scale. Who cares if Urkanian refugee getting stubbed on public transportation (in Charlotte IIRC)? Burocrats still get to allocate billions.
If there were no homeless they’d lose their entire careers. It’s a scam industry. Non profit CEO’s taking down 400k salaries and using the funds for lavish expenses
 
In other words, free health care for illegal aliens. I'm not ok with that. I spent my entire life here in California being denied health insurance I was willing to PAY FOR because of a pre existing condition.

That only changed at 65 when I signed up for Medicare.

No way am I supporting free health care for foreign invaders.
Yep. We spend billions on healthcare for illegals it’s crazy. @Medicare sees it in his work
 
Back
Top Bottom