18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Looking for a Ruger 10/22 Takedown in SoCal.

akjunkie

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
22
Any shops in SoCal (LA County area) that has a Ruger 10/22 heavy barrel takedown model in stock?

I have looked at RifleGear, Ammo Bros, and Turners and they dont have anything in stock at the moment.
 
You might have to just order one at your LGS. It shouldn’t take long to arrive if their distributor has them available.
 
If I buy a 10/22 takedown rifle with standard barrel. Can I convert it to a heavy barrel?
 
As long as it's a takedown barrel, you're looking at one bolt to swap the fore end, and whatever adjustment is needed for the tensioning ring. A takedown barrel will be machined to slip right into the takedown receiver mechanism.
 
If I buy a 10/22 takedown rifle with standard barrel. Can I convert it to a heavy barrel?
Why not just buy a BRN-22 takedown receiver and pair it with whatever barrel you fancy? That’s what I did years ago.
 
I am looking all over for a bull/heavy barrel model takedown but I cannot see one. Do you have a model number?
 
Pretty sure they are not currently in production with a "heavy"/bull TD barrel, Ruger has had a couple different ones over the years... Might look at model 32034, looks similar to the fixed barrel ultra-light one I saw at Turner's, and pretty close to my "home brewed" lightweight TD.

I'd second the suggestion to get the Brownells takedown receiver IF they are still sending behind enemy lines after AB1263? Since it's a serialed part, has to go through an FFL no matter what, and maybe you can get the rest of the parts at the same time?

Start with the receiver, add a lightweight Tac-X barrel and the Magpul backpacker stock, and whatever else strikes your fancy and you can sneak over the border some way in these crazy times!!! I put most of mine together years ago by sourcing parts off ebay, great little gun, and a good intro to "smithing"!
 
Pretty sure they are not currently in production with a "heavy"/bull TD barrel, Ruger has had a couple different ones over the years... Might look at model 32034, looks similar to the fixed barrel ultra-light one I saw at Turner's, and pretty close to my "home brewed" lightweight TD.

I'd second the suggestion to get the Brownells takedown receiver IF they are still sending behind enemy lines after AB1263? Since it's a serialed part, has to go through an FFL no matter what, and maybe you can get the rest of the parts at the same time?

Start with the receiver, add a lightweight Tac-X barrel and the Magpul backpacker stock, and whatever else strikes your fancy and you can sneak over the border some way in these crazy times!!! I put most of mine together years ago by sourcing parts off ebay, great little gun, and a good intro to "smithing"!
I middleman these things and also make PC Charger clones.
 
Yep, that's the one I found on the Ruger site, seems like it's a near twin to the one I home brewed, with just a basic black Backpacker stock, and my Tac-X barrel has fiber optic sights accessible via a see through Pic riser, an enclosed red/green dot sight on top. Never had a problem with alignment if the lockup is adjusted properly, but the RD mount on the barrel is an interesting design/feature upgrade...

IMO you don't really want a solid steel "bull" (although I'm fairly certain Ruger has offered them...), as it'll be pretty nose heavy, the Tac-X is around a pound vs. about double that for a stock pencil barrel.
 
Yep, that's the one I found on the Ruger site, seems like it's a near twin to the one I home brewed, with just a basic black Backpacker stock, and my Tac-X barrel has fiber optic sights accessible via a see through Pic riser, an enclosed red/green dot sight on top. Never had a problem with alignment if the lockup is adjusted properly, but the RD mount on the barrel is an interesting design/feature upgrade...

IMO you don't really want a solid steel "bull" (although I'm fairly certain Ruger has offered them...), as it'll be pretty nose heavy, the Tac-X is around a pound vs. about double that for a stock pencil barrel.
Agreed. That's why I was confused on the verbiage. I have never met anyone who called a CF barrel a "bull" barrel.
 
Why not just buy a BRN-22 takedown receiver and pair it with whatever barrel you fancy? That’s what I did years ago.
That's what I did as well.


However, the price to do so is starting to get a bit excessive in terms of the fees.

Currently $155 for the BRN-22 Takedown then add $100 for the out-of-state transfer and fees and tack on 20%.
 
Back
Top Bottom