By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Why not just buy a BRN-22 takedown receiver and pair it with whatever barrel you fancy? That’s what I did years ago.If I buy a 10/22 takedown rifle with standard barrel. Can I convert it to a heavy barrel?
I middleman these things and also make PC Charger clones.Pretty sure they are not currently in production with a "heavy"/bull TD barrel, Ruger has had a couple different ones over the years... Might look at model 32034, looks similar to the fixed barrel ultra-light one I saw at Turner's, and pretty close to my "home brewed" lightweight TD.
I'd second the suggestion to get the Brownells takedown receiver IF they are still sending behind enemy lines after AB1263? Since it's a serialed part, has to go through an FFL no matter what, and maybe you can get the rest of the parts at the same time?
Start with the receiver, add a lightweight Tac-X barrel and the Magpul backpacker stock, and whatever else strikes your fancy and you can sneak over the border some way in these crazy times!!! I put most of mine together years ago by sourcing parts off ebay, great little gun, and a good intro to "smithing"!
I'm looking at this specific model.I am looking all over for a bull/heavy barrel model takedown but I cannot see one. Do you have a model number?
Great, now I have AIDS from opening that website.I'm looking at this specific model.
Agreed. That's why I was confused on the verbiage. I have never met anyone who called a CF barrel a "bull" barrel.Yep, that's the one I found on the Ruger site, seems like it's a near twin to the one I home brewed, with just a basic black Backpacker stock, and my Tac-X barrel has fiber optic sights accessible via a see through Pic riser, an enclosed red/green dot sight on top. Never had a problem with alignment if the lockup is adjusted properly, but the RD mount on the barrel is an interesting design/feature upgrade...
IMO you don't really want a solid steel "bull" (although I'm fairly certain Ruger has offered them...), as it'll be pretty nose heavy, the Tac-X is around a pound vs. about double that for a stock pencil barrel.
That's what I did as well.Why not just buy a BRN-22 takedown receiver and pair it with whatever barrel you fancy? That’s what I did years ago.
Death by a thousand cuts.However, the price to do so is starting to get a bit excessive in terms of the fees.