18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

LR308/AR10 Optics-What are you using?

On my DPMS SASS: IOR Valdada 2.5-10x42

On my Ruger SFAR: PA 3x SLx Green MicroPrisim
 
I'm thinking of switching it up to the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X instead of the 3-15X currently on it. I typically shoot NRA "Tactical AR" at 500yds which allows up to 15X scopes.

bESPxLI.jpg

GQftXga.jpg
 
I roll my own. Think I've got about 3k rolled at the moment. I use SMK 168 gr BTHP's and am pretty happy with those. I'm not much of a long distance shooter. I should be- but I usually punch holes or smash steel at 100yrds.
def the way to go. 308 is IMO ergonomically one of the easiest calibers to reload. I use ~150 FMJ nato esque loads
 
Viper PST is a solid budget option I've shot plenty of comps with them and the 3.5-18 will get you out to 1000.

I've got a few Steiners now I like a lot the reticles are really well thought out. AR15 LPVO I did 1-6x and honestly I wouldn't do it again it's not the move. If you justify magnification just commit and get a 2-10x or that VUDU 1-10x. At magnification the 6x really isn't getting you much beyond what an ACOG or something faster will like an EOTECH and a magnifier so I personally don't care for it. You're gonna end up wanting a red dot on a diving board or something like that for shooting fast so might as well just get the full magnification if that's the case.

That said the steiner 1-6x does shoot great at 1x. It's not the fastest thing to use and the reticle has to be illuminated for this to work. Battery life also isn't great.

AR10 I bit the bullet and got the Steiner m7x 3-24 with an MSR2. It's perfect on an AR10, but I think that's bumping your price point a bit.
 
Have you looked at the 1x10 Gunnr. I think the model is called Odin. This is a really solid LPVO and the price point is fair.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2810.webp
    IMG_2810.webp
    133.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2811.webp
    IMG_2811.webp
    34 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom