18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Request Minimum Post count to post in classifieds to reduce Scammers

Should we Implement a minimum post count before allowing posts to classifieds?

  • Yes - this can help

  • No - I’ll take the risk

  • 5 posts

  • 10 posts

  • 15 posts


Results are only viewable after voting.
Paid annual membership for "Buy & Sell" privileges is the best way to eliminate scammers. :)

Maybe $50 per year? Of course, that money also helps to keep the site running.
 
Paid membership may deter a lot of members both good and bad. Some will donate, like I do when I make a sale here and there, like a small "finder's fee" if you will.

Minimum post count should be good. How many? I dunno maybe 10? And account age? Maybe a week? A month might be too much.
This feels awfully similar to a “10 day waiting period” to me.
 
This feels awfully similar to a “10 day waiting period” to me.
If its free, we'd be a 👨🏻‍🎨t site.. There are people who are donating, support others, which people can pay a fee to bypass the post restriction, if we put it in place.

I'm also a bit weary of it, but it does reduce scammer volume because they have to work. Then we can easily delete it if they do, wasting their time, which is kind of the point. If they are genuine, the post limit doesn't take long to hit and you're in the clear. If you have multiple accounts, it become obvious or scams have to put in a bit of time, that's why it's fairly common on boards to go this route.
 
Scammers gonna scam, and even the lazy ones can slap out as many AI generated posts as needed with a short prompt and button push.

These clowns clone identities on the "big name" sites all the time, despite what are likely fairly extensive precautions... go ahead, try to name a site that is NOT subject to scamming attempts of various types... ANYONE? Yep, the vermin are everywhere, and it's up to the user to know and understand that "buyer beware" and act accordingly!!!

It's fun to pretend that it's possible to create undefeatable security measures, but the reality is that when you close a window, a scammer digs a hole under your door!!! There's ALWAYS a new novel grift or security hole, that's why you see a weekly patch with annoying regularity, if the big boys have to do it, there's a good reason.
 
This already exists on the site but allow people to hide it. I’m also considering removing this option altogether and resetting it so people can see last time online status.

The current safeguards seem effective and this would only be another layer of defense. I’m also in the works of redoing the badging system to more like what I have on the other sites.
My thoughts on this are that general users deserve that privacy if they want it. The exception should be users that have current classified ads. I understand you didn't code the framework of this BBS system and changing that option to apply only to advertisers might be challenging however, if possible I think it could be a good thing.
 
Limit private messaging for new users below 11 posts that are not classified related.
Then probate that member another 9 days away from WTB section of classifieds.
 
If we're going to do paid contributors as a model I think the method to enable contributions is possibly per post or even relative to successful sales rather than a sub service enabling it.

Although I doubt this forum enables that sort of trickery it's a much more sensible approach.

I find myself subscribing to forums and then dropping the subscription because I don't use the forum as much for a while then restarting it again etc.
 
I actually would like to see a 100-post minimum. Users should prove that they are contributing to the community before they can leverage the audience for their financial benefit.
 
Paid annual membership for "Buy & Sell" privileges is the best way to eliminate scammers. :)

Maybe $50 per year? Of course, that money also helps to keep the site running.
I would never charge buyers, that will kill the site IMHO. Develop a model where you can charge the sellers something but if you deter buyers by charging, I think you will be putting a torpedo amidships of the site. With regard to scammers, I think what you said earlier is the best approach. Leave it alone for now and encourage people to vet the sellers. The more traffic you have here, the more ad revenue you can generate.
 
I would never charge buyers, that will kill the site IMHO. Develop a model where you can charge the sellers something but if you deter buyers by charging, I think you will be putting a torpedo amidships of the site. With regard to scammers, I think what you said earlier is the best approach. Leave it alone for now and encourage people to vet the sellers. The more traffic you have here, the more ad revenue you can generate.

I dont think there's a way to even charge a buyer and I agree it doesn't make sense. There's no transaction on this site. It's FTF so it can't be enforced. I think it makes sense to charge a seller though, to post. I contribute to the site monthly so I feel that is a fair way to support the site, support selling some things you don't need, and keep 💩ty FS posts out of the site. Vendors I feel should be managed a little differently as it's their business.
 
probably get better deals from someone who just joins to sell something since they aren't tapped in haha. I think if you are buying online to have something shipped there is a much bigger risk than meeting face to face for a DROS transaction so I'm not sure how much extra security is necessary, I also think it's perfectly fine to want to sell stuff and not engage with an online forum. The only downside is spam but that can simply be flagged.
 
I would never charge buyers, that will kill the site IMHO. Develop a model where you can charge the sellers something but if you deter buyers by charging, I think you will be putting a torpedo amidships of the site. With regard to scammers, I think what you said earlier is the best approach. Leave it alone for now and encourage people to vet the sellers. The more traffic you have here, the more ad revenue you can generate.
That DID kill armslist.
 
probably get better deals from someone who just joins to sell something since they aren't tapped in haha. I think if you are buying online to have something shipped there is a much bigger risk than meeting face to face for a DROS transaction so I'm not sure how much extra security is necessary, I also think it's perfectly fine to want to sell stuff and not engage with an online forum. The only downside is spam but that can simply be flagged.
lol indeed, I’ve snagged 2 snap buy deals from new users with <10min old listings. I like a lower barrier to entry for new users to sell.
 
I wonder if a small paid membership for classifieds access would be better? Yes I know people will riot if you have to pay like $10 a year or something.

I never thought the post count idea helped much aside from keeping some spam/scammers out. But it can be a deterrent though.
Absolutely not
 
Back
Top Bottom