18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Moving counties

09cs

Member
Messages
47
Currently reside in LA county and have a ccw issued by LASD

Will be moving to Ventura county in April. How soon can I apply for a new Ventura county permit after moving? Assuming I need to notify LASD my leaving of the county asap and be permit less for however long the Ventura process takes?
 
Contact Ventura County (or check their website), but I would guess you can apply there as soon as you have proof of residency (e.g., utility bills, address on driver’s license, etc.). You should be able to find L.A.’s permit surrender policy on their own website.

I moved to a different county in 2014. If I recall correctly, I had to turn in my CCW permit to my old county within 90 days, and I was able to apply in my new county as soon as I had proof of residency. But I had to go through the new permit process all over again in the new county, instead of the much quicker renewal process. As a result, I had to go over a year without a CCW permit, as that is how long new permit approvals were taking in my new county at the time.
 
It can’t hurt to ask your new issuing county if they can expedite your permit at all. Also doesn’t hurt to look into the city you’re moving to as well. I had a similar situation this last year when I moved and not only was my city faster overall but they expedited it since I had an existing permit vs the county who basically told me sorry you gotta start all over
 
Back
Top Bottom