18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Mystery Mauser Identification (This one is a hard one)

Churro

Well-known member
Messages
162
I purchased this last month as a barreled action for 200 and was missing everything except for the trigger. I had a few parts laying around and turned it into a complete rifle up. But of course this is where the fun part begins because I cannot find any information on who, what, where, when or why this exactly exists. The gun itself is in 16 inches and is chambered for 8mm Mauser. What is strange is that I don't think this was a boomers love project because the barrel has a 02V stamping that is also present on the receiver that looks factory. The closest thing I could find is that this was an FN 24/30 as they made carbine length guns, or maybe a South American contract but the caliber and lack of Fabric Nationale markings tell me other wise. Moral of the story I am stumped but here if what I know or could find?

The trigger itself has a waffen eagle on it (WW2 German)
The receiver itself is a Model 98 (German)
42M- I am assuming is the model on it ( I cant find anything on this model)
655 - is a factory code of some sort I think ( Cant find any information)
43/02 - I was told was the date of production from a Mauser autist ( February of 1942)
un marked front sight block with groves ( German maybe as early Czechs, Belgians, guns didnt have the cuts for a sight hood)
02V - I have no information on
 

Attachments

  • Mauser 1.jpg
    Mauser 1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Mauser 3.jpg
    Mauser 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Mauser 2.jpg
    Mauser 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
I would suggest asking on the K98forum.com as there you will find your answers, also Gunboards.com has a K98 forum that has been around a long time.
 
Just saw your post on the k98 forum. Definitely an interesting one you have there!
 
Just saw your post on the k98 forum. Definitely an interesting one you have there!
It does look like even the most knowledgeable of the Mauser autist are stumped. I did say it was a taught one so I am interested to see where it goes.
 
The only factory original marking looks like that mod.98. all original markings were scrubbed off long ago. Sporterized old German Mauser
 
It does look like even the most knowledgeable of the Mauser autist are stumped. I did say it was a taught one so I am interested to see where it goes.
If you posted it give it a bit of time.
 
If you posted it give it a bit of time.
The k98 forums paned out, it looks like I have something incredibly weird that started life as a german mauser, turned into a yugo capture, then became something that turned into a personal project either in Europe or in the US.
 
I do know a little about a little lol.
There is also a very large presence of knowledgeable folks on Gunboards or at least used to be in the K98 forum.
I'm glad you found your answer.
 
The k98 forums paned out, it looks like I have something incredibly weird that started life as a german mauser, turned into a yugo capture, then became something that turned into a personal project either in Europe or in the US.
For sure in the U.S., I bet that has a kick like a mule. nothing more fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom