18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Name that powder

ChestnutBleach

Active member
Messages
127
Long story short, bought Freedom Munitions Big Grains 50AE a long time ago. Probably 6-7 years ago. Had issues with cycling cause some of the rounds seemed underpowered. Hornady rounds are noticeably more powerful and cycle fine. So, I yanked the Freedom Munitions powder, loaded H110, and haven't had issues since. However, I kept the old powder without a plan to really do anything with it. Have about 1lbs. Somewhat recently, reached out to Freedom Munitions to inquire what the powder was and they were absolutely no help.

Based on what it looks like, load data for 325grs bullets, and weight coming out (26.5-26.9grs/round), I'm guessing it is VihtaVuori N110.

What do you think?

IMG_8938.jpg
 
The extruded powder looks like a VihtaVuori powder. The weight you describe falls within the range of the load data they have on their site for .50AE with a 325gr bullet. Sounds like a decent educated guess. But not knowing for sure what it is, I would most likely not use it. That's just me.
 
The extruded powder looks like a VihtaVuori powder. The weight you describe falls within the range of the load data they have on their site for .50AE with a 325gr bullet. Sounds like a decent educated guess. But not knowing for sure what it is, I would most likely not use it. That's just me.
Not planning on it. Just curious.
 
Not planning on it. Just curious.

Gotcha. I've never used that brand of powder, but this website has some interesting load info including pics of the various powders. What you have looks very similar to VihtaVuori for sure.

 
Back
Top Bottom