18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Need a 22lr for my 10 year old

P22 if you're on a budget. People like to 💩 on it because it's ammo picky. It is. Do a couple of cheap upgrades - replace the recoil spring & extractor ( about a 5-10 minute job for each). Buy some high velocity ammo. Mine runs great after the break in period. My wife likes it because it's lighter than our Buckmark.
 
It’s not a handgun, but the fun of a Henry lever in 22lr cannot be overstated. Totally different direction but…..maybe consider it.
Love my Golden Boy. Dead accurate, fun to shoot and I look good shooting it.

Go West, young man.
 
For .22 pistols I'd recommend the SR22...Had mine for a decade and I don't think I've ever had a malfunction with it. Would be the perfect size for a 10 year old as well. I've also owned an ATI GSG 1911 in .22 and that also ran without any issues and was fun to shoot if you're a 1911 fan. I just picked up a P22 for my daughter last weekend, her friend has one and it's been very reliable for them, although I hear mixed opinions on the P22. Worst case scenario, my daughter may get very good at clearing malfunctions 🤣
 
these are my 13yr old first guns and shes about to get into SASS/cowboy action shooting

ruger american 22lr in mdt chasis vortex rimfire
ruger 10/22 take down leupold vx-3
walter p22
hertitage rough rider 22lr

next up SxS 20ga
lever action 22lr
 
Got my 10 year old the HK 416 22lr rifle. Threw a Holosun 503 green dot and he loves it. He also has the Glock 44. He likes that one as well, but what boy doesnt love holding a rifle?!
 
Took my son to the indoor range to shoot pistols for the first time. He had a blast shooting the ranges g43x. Of course is off roster and he did not like any of the Mark IV. Not paying $1300 for a g43 so I looked into conversion kits for g21 or g17 that are from Advantage Arms seems like a good option. Question I have for the forum;

1. Anybody have a g43x for less than $1000 to sell?
2. Any experience with conversion kits?
3. Other 22lr options

I want to start him on a 22 pistol like I did with rifles. He is shooting my AR in .223 and 5.56 but we built up to that by increasing his skill level, I want to follow the same path for pistol.
Which Mark IV did he shoot? The 22/45 and Standard have very different grips. I went with a 22/45 which is a 1911 style grip. Love it.
 
Took my son to the indoor range to shoot pistols for the first time. He had a blast shooting the ranges g43x. Of course is off roster and he did not like any of the Mark IV. Not paying $1300 for a g43 so I looked into conversion kits for g21 or g17 that are from Advantage Arms seems like a good option. Question I have for the forum;

1. Anybody have a g43x for less than $1000 to sell?
2. Any experience with conversion kits?
3. Other 22lr options

I want to start him on a 22 pistol like I did with rifles. He is shooting my AR in .223 and 5.56 but we built up to that by increasing his skill level, I want to follow the same path for pistol.
Any interest in a Browning Buckmark? I have one in excellent condition that is surplus to my needs.
 
Took my son to the indoor range to shoot pistols for the first time. He had a blast shooting the ranges g43x. Of course is off roster and he did not like any of the Mark IV. Not paying $1300 for a g43 so I looked into conversion kits for g21 or g17 that are from Advantage Arms seems like a good option. Question I have for the forum;

1. Anybody have a g43x for less than $1000 to sell?
2. Any experience with conversion kits?
3. Other 22lr options

I want to start him on a 22 pistol like I did with rifles. He is shooting my AR in .223 and 5.56 but we built up to that by increasing his skill level, I want to follow the same path for pistol.
Wish you would have seen my post a month ago I had a 1911 22lr for 300 perfect for your son.
Look into a used one for a good price I recommend it Gsg 1911 22lr 922.
Watch a YouTube short. Great gun good shooter never had issues.
 
I just picked up a brand new Sig P322 for 600 all in. what a fun gun to shoot. You might want to look at that bad boy.
 
I just picked up a brand new Sig P322 for 600 all in. what a fun gun to shoot. You might want to look at that bad boy.
My Dude. The OP is from Dec 2024.

Nice gun, though.
 
My $0.02, just get a Ruger 10/22 rifle and something like a P22 if he prefers how a "regular" handgun operates and feels. Both are cheap enough to replace/upgrade down the road when he can handle bigger calibers. It'll also be something he could learn basic maintenance and safety on that will translate well in the future. 10/22 is a good platform to build out custom setups too if he wants to play around with that in the future. And with solid ammo the P22 is plenty reliable, at least for practicing at the range.

Conversion kits have always seemed to be more hassle than they're worth, seems like they introduce a layer of failure in some setups that could cause some frustration, which is the last thing you'd want if you're trying to get him to stick with the hobby. I'm also willing to bet when the time comes he'll want something shiny and new rather than switch over something he already has, knowing how kids tend to be as they grow up lol.

I love 1911s but a kid will have a hard time with the field stripping process (assuming 22 options work the same way, I have no experience with that caliber in the 1911 platform).
 
My $0.02, just get a Ruger 10/22 rifle and something like a P22 if he prefers how a "regular" handgun operates and feels. Both are cheap enough to replace/upgrade down the road when he can handle bigger calibers. It'll also be something he could learn basic maintenance and safety on that will translate well in the future. 10/22 is a good platform to build out custom setups too if he wants to play around with that in the future. And with solid ammo the P22 is plenty reliable, at least for practicing at the range.

Conversion kits have always seemed to be more hassle than they're worth, seems like they introduce a layer of failure in some setups that could cause some frustration, which is the last thing you'd want if you're trying to get him to stick with the hobby. I'm also willing to bet when the time comes he'll want something shiny and new rather than switch over something he already has, knowing how kids tend to be as they grow up lol.

I love 1911s but a kid will have a hard time with the field stripping process (assuming 22 options work the same way, I have no experience with that caliber in the 1911 platform).
Lmao I too just realized the original post was from 2024 😆 while he might be 12 now, I think the same things apply haha
 
This is old, but still... I think something like a Cricket .22lr rifle bolt action is a good first time shooter for kids.

I never recommend pistols as its to easy for them to "flag" someone. Doesn't matter how many times you talk, explain, etc. With a pistol in hand, it is much easier to turn head and body follow then with a rifle.

A rifle (appropriate size/ weight) is easier to hold, aim, and learn to shoot on then a pistol.

Bolt action is good, slows shooter down so they are concentrating on fundamentals of shooting. Plus, once shot, have to manually work gun which will lesson the possibility of a ND with a semi auto.
 
Back
Top Bottom