18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Need advice on delayed DROS

georgakis187

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
6
Hi y'all, I'm in a bit of an interesting situation and wanted to hear some advice from more experienced folks.

I recently did two PPTs as a buyer, from two different dudes I met on this website. Prior to these two PPTs I've had four Approved DROS for the purchase of new guns - two from Bass Pro (two handguns) and two from Brian Nussbaum in Burlingame (a rifle and a handgun).

My two PPTs, in chronological order:

PPT 1: Purchasing a handgun, PPT via Manzano's in SJ, DROS goes Delayed on day 7, got the CA DOJ letter at home, currently still Delayed, and expecting to go Undetermined.

PPT 2: Purchasing a rifle, PPT also via Manzano's in SJ, DROS is Approved in 10 days while PPT1 is still Delayed, rifle is picked up and sitting in my safe.

Employees at Manzano's stated that they will not release handgun from PPT 1 on Undetermined, even though PPT 2 was Approved, and even when I offered to present my recently obtained COE from the CA DOJ (part of FFL3/COE I recently got), stating clearly that "nothing that would prohibit the individual from acquiring or possessing a firearm".

They said the best they can do is re-DROS the handgun from PPT1, costing me a few extra dollars, and pray that this time the DROS is Approved. The seller has (in principle) agreed to show up again to re-DROS (big shout out to the dude!) but I find this whole situation very irritating for both me and him, considering the circumstances.

Looking to get some advice on alternative moves, if there are any...

Should I re-DROS elsewhere that releases on Undetermined? Do the seller and I have to wait until PPT1 goes Undetermined to re-DROS?

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Yes, wait until the DROS goes to undetermined, I have had some come back approved literally an hour before it was supposed to go to undetermined status. It's strange that the 2nd DROS went through just fine at the same store, makes me wonder if there was a mistake on PPT 1 perhaps? In any case, wait for undetermined before trying to re-DROS. You could try doing the paperwork at a different FFL, however if I'm not mistaken, the buyer would have to fill out paperwork to get the gun back to him from the current store before you could go do paperwork elsewhere. If there was a mistake on the DROS, I'd say just go ahead and re-DROS at the current store. It could be difficult to find places that release on undetermined.
 
Hi y'all, I'm in a bit of an interesting situation and wanted to hear some advice from more experienced folks.

I recently did two PPTs as a buyer, from two different dudes I met on this website. Prior to these two PPTs I've had four Approved DROS for the purchase of new guns - two from Bass Pro (two handguns) and two from Brian Nussbaum in Burlingame (a rifle and a handgun).

My two PPTs, in chronological order:

PPT 1: Purchasing a handgun, PPT via Manzano's in SJ, DROS goes Delayed on day 7, got the CA DOJ letter at home, currently still Delayed, and expecting to go Undetermined.

PPT 2: Purchasing a rifle, PPT also via Manzano's in SJ, DROS is Approved in 10 days while PPT1 is still Delayed, rifle is picked up and sitting in my safe.

Employees at Manzano's stated that they will not release handgun from PPT 1 on Undetermined, even though PPT 2 was Approved, and even when I offered to present my recently obtained COE from the CA DOJ (part of FFL3/COE I recently got), stating clearly that "nothing that would prohibit the individual from acquiring or possessing a firearm".

They said the best they can do is re-DROS the handgun from PPT1, costing me a few extra dollars, and pray that this time the DROS is Approved. The seller has (in principle) agreed to show up again to re-DROS (big shout out to the dude!) but I find this whole situation very irritating for both me and him, considering the circumstances.

Looking to get some advice on alternative moves, if there are any...

Should I re-DROS elsewhere that releases on Undetermined? Do the seller and I have to wait until PPT1 goes Undetermined to re-DROS?

Thanks in advance!

If you re-dros elsewhere, wouldn’t the firearm need to be dros back to the seller first, before you guys can move onto another ffl to do the ppt?
 
Yes, wait until the DROS goes to undetermined, I have had some come back approved literally an hour before it was supposed to go to undetermined status. It's strange that the 2nd DROS went through just fine at the same store, makes me wonder if there was a mistake on PPT 1 perhaps? In any case, wait for undetermined before trying to re-DROS. You could try doing the paperwork at a different FFL, however if I'm not mistaken, the buyer would have to fill out paperwork to get the gun back to him from the current store before you could go do paperwork elsewhere. If there was a mistake on the DROS, I'd say just go ahead and re-DROS at the current store. It could be difficult to find places that release on undetermined.
The DROS paperwork that I received from PPT1 and PPT2 are identical to each other. And these two are identical to the four other DROS I've done previously (same address, etc), albeit at different store than the current two PPTs. Very strange...

If you re-dros elsewhere, wouldn’t the firearm need to be dros back to the seller first, before you guys can move onto another ffl to do the ppt?
Yes, unfortunately it seems like the seller will have to be present for whatever action we take.
 
The DROS paperwork that I received from PPT1 and PPT2 are identical to each other. And these two are identical to the four other DROS I've done previously (same address, etc), albeit at different store than the current two PPTs. Very strange...


Yes, unfortunately it seems like the seller will have to be present for whatever action we take.
Unfortunately the reality is that sometimes delays are just completely random. There is no rhyme or reason to it, DOJ just randomly doesn't do their job. Considering the other PPT went through, I'd say it's worth trying to re-DROS once it goes to undetermined.
 
Try a 01 that will release on undetermined when you get back to square one. I've had 10 or 12 delays with undetermined, 10 in a row. Since then, I always check what the new to me shop policy is and presume there will be a delay. I recently did a Remington M81, delayed and a 15" 10/22, delayed. Right or wrong you can't buck store policy, PAX
 
Back
Top Bottom