18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

New look for some old pistols. You get an optic, and you get an optic...

mrbieler

Member+
2A
2026
Messages
173
Classified ads
1
Decided to freshen up a couple of pistols recently. Picked up my first striker fired pistol for my primary CCW in the spring and it was optic cut. Got a red dot on it and fell in love. With my đź’©ty vision, I was able to clearly see the dot and my target vs either a smear of a front sight or a blur of anything over 3 yards away. Wow.

I have a FN FNP 9mm as my house gun. It was my first foray into polymer frames. Picked it up in 2011 just before FN stopped production. A good solid pistol and inexpensive. I think I paid under $450 out the door new at MB Retting. At the same time I picked up a lightly used recently introduced RIA 1911 Tactical in 9mm for $500. My first 9mm 1911. After about 1000 rounds, I gutted it and replaced everything except the frame, barrel, and slide. Love shooting this one. Too smooth.

On September 9, after a couple of days going back and forth with them, I packed up both slides with a pair of Meprolight MPO Pro-s optics and off they went to NC Engravers. I used their "slow service" with a 5~7 day turn around and saved 10%. Packaged arrived at their shop on Monday the 14th. Slides were cut, refinished, and shipped back on Thursday the 17th. In my hands today the 21st. 8 business days round trip coast to coast. Not a big fan of spray finishes but I found the cerakote tungsten the least offensive.

Tomorrow, we hit the range.
PzRTcYFh.jpg

WJkIDXxh.jpg


uov7KG8h.jpg

AQrf9sXh.jpg
 
Last edited:
Zero'd at 15 and confirmed at 25. I don't want to talk about the đź’© groups I shot at 25 after confirming and shooting freehand.

That said, it's back in duty as the house gun.
5VGghHlh.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom