18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

New to CA and confused

You must import and report the gun within 60 days of moving back to CA. If you are already a CA resident, you cannot use the new resident exemption to the roster in my understanding.


That being said, selling a firearm in a PPT only requires the buyer to go through the DROS process, not the seller.
So in reality my father and I going into an FFl and him transferring said firearm would be completely legal. Correct?
 
Last edited:
So in reality my father and I going into an FFP and him transferring said firearm would be completely legal. Correct?
Well, actually, if it is between parent and child, there is ANOTHER exception to the CA Roster and the only time I know of that you don't need to use an FFL.

You can do an Intrafamilial Firearm Transfer, and just pay the $19 fee, instead of going thru an FFL, having to pay DROS, and having the 10 day wait to pick up the gun.

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/bof-4544a.pdf

Intrafamilial Firearm Transaction​

An intrafamilial firearm transaction is the transfer of a firearm between immediate family members during the lifetime of the transferor, such as by gift or sale. According to California Penal Code section 27875, it is defined as:

“The transfer of a firearm between a person and his or her parent, grandparent, spouse, registered domestic partner, or adult child or grandchild, provided that the person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older and is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm.”
This transaction is exempt from the requirement to use a licensed firearms dealer (FFL) under specific conditions, such as the transfer being infrequent and the recipient being eligible to possess firearms.
 
Well, actually, if it is between parent and child, there is ANOTHER exception to the CA Roster and the only time I know of that you don't need to use an FFL.

You can do an Intrafamilial Firearm Transfer, and just pay the $19 fee, instead of going thru an FFL, having to pay DROS, and having the 10 day wait to pick up the gun.

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/bof-4544a.pdf

Intrafamilial Firearm Transaction​

An intrafamilial firearm transaction is the transfer of a firearm between immediate family members during the lifetime of the transferor, such as by gift or sale. According to California Penal Code section 27875, it is defined as:


This transaction is exempt from the requirement to use a licensed firearms dealer (FFL) under specific conditions, such as the transfer being infrequent and the recipient being eligible to possess firearms.
Keep in mind that it is specifically only UP/DOWN to parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, or to/from your spouse/partner. No brother/sister transfers allowed, which is unfortunate.
 
This is the only way to get "Off-Roster" handguns in CA, is to buy them through a PPT (Private Party Transfer). How those people got the firearms in CA legally is none of my business, as the sale is perfectly legal.

Inheritance is another means of acquiring off roster handguns.
 
This is the only way to get "Off-Roster" handguns in CA, is to buy them through a PPT (Private Party Transfer). How those people got the firearms in CA legally is none of my business, as the sale is perfectly legal. This is why off-roster pistols carry such a high premium in CA
So this kind of relates to my other post which is kind of what I’m talking about. FFL doesn’t care about what pistol is being transferred as you already have it…right?
 
Inheritance is another means of acquiring off roster handguns.
Yes, 100% true

Inheritance, intra-familial transfers, importing as a new resident, and PPT's are the ways I'm aware of to avoid the roster.

C&R's have their own rules that I am not as familiar with, too.
 
So this kind of relates to my other post which is kind of what I’m talking about. FFL doesn’t care about what pistol is being transferred as you already have it…right?
You've got it.

The FFL only cares about the legality of the transfer to the BUYER thru DROS, and that the firearm is in a legal configuration (i.e. magazine capacity and rifle in compliant condition or broken down).
 
So this kind of relates to my other post which is kind of what I’m talking about. FFL doesn’t care about what pistol is being transferred as you already have it…right?
New residents (this post) vs Dual Residence (your post) have different rules. Please read the penal code I posted on YOUR thread and you will understand why its different.
 
If you are shooting in the mountains or desert, you may have an interaction with a park ranger. They may ask to inspect your arms from what I've heard, but I haven't had them do anything but ask how we're doing, glance around, and ask us to clean up after ourselves and have a nice day. They've never asked me about my magazines. Your mileage may vary.
Surprised there are still outdoor public areas to shoot (besides hunting) in CA. I figured they all would have been regulated away.
Back in the 90's we used to drive out of the city to a place called Litle (sp?) Creek in the high desert. It turned into a road full of people shooting. It was the most diverse area I've ever been. People shooting their Glocks out the window of the Civics right next to old dudes with all the gear and scopes that cost more than the Civic, dudes shooting watermelons with shotguns and people plinking at old cars with more holes in them than Swiss cheese.
Hopefully I can find a place like that in Northern Ca.
 
Surprised there are still outdoor public areas to shoot (besides hunting) in CA. I figured they all would have been regulated away.
Back in the 90's we used to drive out of the city to a place called Litle (sp?) Creek in the high desert. It turned into a road full of people shooting. It was the most diverse area I've ever been. People shooting their Glocks out the window of the Civics right next to old dudes with all the gear and scopes that cost more than the Civic, dudes shooting watermelons with shotguns and people plinking at old cars with more holes in them than Swiss cheese.
Hopefully I can find a place like that in Northern Ca.
Lytle Creek is still around! But now it's a regulated range with fees. https://www.lytlecreekrange.com/

Crazy how times change, huh?

What you are describing is more like BLM land and Hodge Road still to this day. I've seen machine guns and all sorts of sketchy stuff. I won't mention specifically where I go because it's a bit off the radar and doesn't get the crazy illegal gun action.

There are shooting spots in the San Bernardino National Forest and you can also go out to the desert and BLM land (e.g. Hodge Road, or many, many other spots) and shoot to your hearts content. Just bring tarps or other means of retrieving your brass and litter, and leave the land cleaner than you found it.

You can check the National Forest or BLM websites and can find areas where shooting is still allowed, and it also depends on the current fire danger and Forest Orders. I really prefer finding a completely legal, but off the radar spot to shoot

 
Last edited:
most places on national forest land close July to november/december for fire prevention. many are also filled with snow during the time they are open for shooting though
 
It's all right bro. I've lived in California my entire life of 57 years, try and stay very up-to-date on gun laws, and I'm completely dazed and confused myself. Sometimes it's not worth trying to keep up anymore
 
Hi,
I currently live in a very free state and am moving to CA. I am trying to find out what is legal for me to bring into the state and what is not. Here is my current understanding and reasons I am confused. Hopefully some of you can set me straight.
Rules for "assault weapons"
1) no adjustable stock
2) either a fixed 10 round mag or a forced break to reload
3) a fin
Pistols
1) 10 rd limit mags
2) once there, only "roster" guns available for store purchase
3) Magazines must be grip loaded, no "sbr style" or front loaded mags, effectively eliminating "AR-Style Pistols".
4) you can bring in any off roster pistols as long as you register them in the first 60 days and they don't break rule 3.

My questions are:
1) I see people on this site with guns like "Ak Pistols" that I would think are illegal. How are they not?
2) If I bring the "high cap" magazines I own and "register" them, can i still have them, or do I need to sell them first and buy 10rd mags?
3) Do my ARs get the same privilges as my handguns, or will I need to neuter them?
4) How do unbuilt AR receivers get treated?

I'm sure I have forgotten a couple of my questions but these will do for now.
Thanks for any clarifications!

If you have an "assault weapon", you can make it instantly legal by installing a CompMag. It's installed in the mag well and cannot be removed without taking the gun apart. You load the gun by pulling down the window, dropping rounds in, and letting it go. It sucks, but at least you'll have your rifle.


You can bring all your off roster handguns. Most shotguns are legal, but I'm not sure about mag fed shotguns.

You're not supposed to bring in 10+ capacity magazines. But there was freedom week, so, how are they going to know how you got them? It's up to you. You don't need to register mags. If it worries you, then store them out of state until Duncan v Bonta is resolved. We now have a circuit split and SCOTUS should take it. Then you'll be able to have them here.

Unbuilt AR-15 receivers are for sale here. Just bring them in and build compliant guns with them.
 
Last edited:
Hi,
I currently live in a very free state and am moving to CA. I am trying to find out what is legal for me to bring into the state and what is not. Here is my current understanding and reasons I am confused. Hopefully some of you can set me straight.
Rules for "assault weapons"
1) no adjustable stock
2) either a fixed 10 round mag or a forced break to reload
3) a fin
Pistols
1) 10 rd limit mags
2) once there, only "roster" guns available for store purchase
3) Magazines must be grip loaded, no "sbr style" or front loaded mags, effectively eliminating "AR-Style Pistols".
4) you can bring in any off roster pistols as long as you register them in the first 60 days and they don't break rule 3.

My questions are:
1) I see people on this site with guns like "Ak Pistols" that I would think are illegal. How are they not?
2) If I bring the "high cap" magazines I own and "register" them, can i still have them, or do I need to sell them first and buy 10rd mags?
3) Do my ARs get the same privilges as my handguns, or will I need to neuter them?
4) How do unbuilt AR receivers get treated?

I'm sure I have forgotten a couple of my questions but these will do for now.
Thanks for any clarifications!

Way too many words in this this thread!

Simple,
- keep uppers separate from lowers.
- dedicate one lower to a fixed 10rd magazine lower and there are lots of ways to do that
- then use fixed mag lower with any upper

Bring your handguns here, as you won't want to buy any once your here. Same with ammo.

Here you have local sales tax + 11% sin tax + background check.
 
I can’t blame you one bit for coming to California. The weather can’t be beat! One of the most significant issues when it comes to firearms is specifically, WHERE you wind up. When I was an RSO for over ten years one of the most common questions that was asked of us was whether we enforced California firearms laws. Not only did we not enforce the laws, but I challenge you to tell what the latest ruling is on anything. California changes gun laws (and enforcement) like I do underwear! It’s constantly changing, putting an undo burden upon the LEO communities. Their responsibility is law enforcement, yet we seem to think that they will know everything about firearms. They can’t. It changes too often! Some areas are more strict about gun laws than others. Learn quickly by frequenting your nearest shooting facility, and talk to the locals. You will learn far more from them than talking to the LEOs. My ultimate advice is to not be stupid. Don’t push the limits. Don’t be obvious. Don’t fire off quickly more than 10 rounds or any simple bystander will listen and count out that you must have a larger magazine. Keep in mind that bystanders can be LEOs. I never knew who was a LEO at out our range so I assumed everyone was. When it came to long guns, like AR-15s, my advice was to render it into the condition that made it safest for you to use….which is not necessarily a legal configuration. But, always travel to and from the range (and store) those articles in your home safes in an as-permitted California configuration. I inquired often from my local LEOs about that advice that I put out, and they never corrected me.

Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom