18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

New to CAguns, question about sellin a gun

There has been a lock required for a while from what I remember. Even had one lgs say the serial number on the lock must match the one linked to the firearm when originally sold. Just a gimmick to make another $10 selling you another lock. Turners made me buy one and then never gave it to me.
Where is this? That sucks my FFL gives 3 fux about locks on PPTs
 
There has been a lock required for a while from what I remember. Even had one lgs say the serial number on the lock must match the one linked to the firearm when originally sold. Just a gimmick to make another $10 selling you another lock. Turners made me buy one and then never gave it to me.
I did a ppt last week the gun was brand new lock was in the box still in plastic and I had to buy one for $10 because I didn’t have a receipt for a lock purchased in the last 30 days. This was at a mom and pop store.
 
There has been a lock required for a while from what I remember. Even had one lgs say the serial number on the lock must match the one linked to the firearm when originally sold. Just a gimmick to make another $10 selling you another lock. Turners made me buy one and then never gave it to me.
Turners did that to me like 3 times. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, and F- I'm a dumbass.
 
Dont go to turners for ppt.... They are horrible. Find a good local ffl/gunshop that makes the process easy without taking 2 hours.

ppt = private party transfer
We went to Turner's in Victorville dor ppt the other day and the lady at the counter had us out in lightning speed
Jim
 
Wow I would never go back there. That is bull💩 robbery.
Yes I wasn’t super happy with the experience there. They don’t put price tags on anything, and when I picked the gun up I asked for a couple boxes of there cheapest 9mm just to run through and break in the gun a box of 50 they were charging $30. I get it’s more expensive for smaller businesses but when I can go to sportsman and get the same thing for less than half price it’s a little ridicules.
 
Yes I wasn’t super happy with the experience there. They don’t put price tags on anything, and when I picked the gun up I asked for a couple boxes of there cheapest 9mm just to run through and break in the gun a box of 50 they were charging $30. I get it’s more expensive for smaller businesses but when I can go to sportsman and get the same thing for less than half price it’s a little ridicules.
This is precisely why I quit buying anything in CA years ago and now with all the BS taxes and now commie tax I will never buy another item here ever again. Which is sucks for the local FFLs but I refuse to be price gouged.
 
Awesome, thank you!!!

For me, I always get someone's cell phone number and speak with them on the phone before making a deal. I don't trust people who only send text messages and snapplechats. If something about the conversation makes me think they're not straight up solid, I don't make the deal.
 
Also, don't count it sold until the money is in your pocket. Then you won't be disappointed when the person doesn't show up. If a buyer/seller is serious, they will make quick and clear plans to purchase. Tons of flaky people on the internet. Honestly people who do that should be banned from the classifieds.
 
For me, I always get someone's cell phone number and speak with them on the phone before making a deal. I don't trust people who only send text messages and snapplechats. If something about the conversation makes me think they're not straight up solid, I don't make the deal.
Snapchat? Hell no, i wouldn't even sell to anyone who asked me to use that 💩.
 
Pro tip:

Ask seller if they are including a gun lock, most of the time they do if you ask and they have one (or a large box of them....), and it's automatically one you bought in the last 30 days, because you just bought the gun! Let 'em try to argue THAT!

IF the seller doesn't have one, bring a generic one and stick it in the case the gun is in after a quick, discrete "inspection" outside in the parking lot...
 
Something else you might want to consider. If your buyer doesn't pass his background check the FFL will need to return the firearm to you. Make sure you have (or can get) the required docs; current Real ID, proof of CA residency, and a valid FSC (or exemption).
 
New seller here. Reading through the posts and just to be clear, the buyer pays for the gun in cash or online through paypal or some other, prior to going into a FFL store. In other words, I receive the money for the gun right away and do not have to wait for the buyer to pass the transfer process. Correct? And if they do not pass and can not purchase the gun, then what?
 
Very good. It is in my possession and not on consignment which I had considered doing, but will not now.
 
New seller here. Reading through the posts and just to be clear, the buyer pays for the gun in cash or online through paypal or some other, prior to going into a FFL store. In other words, I receive the money for the gun right away and do not have to wait for the buyer to pass the transfer process. Correct? And if they do not pass and can not purchase the gun, then what?
Everyone has their own opinion on when to pay. Some want the money up front before entering the FFL. I usually like to give or take the payment after we give our documents to the FFL and start the DROS. I also like to inspect the firearm in the parking lot before entering the store to look for high capacity magazines and make sure there's a gun lock (I always carry locks in my truck).
 
Hello there, I'm new to caguns and to the idea of selling a gun. I understand how to post a gun for sale, but what happens when someone wants to buy the gun? My understanding is we would then meet at an FFL dealer, who would then handle the DROS and facilitate the transaction, is that correct?

Thank you in advance,
James
Be sure you understand the ID you need. If you don't have a CA REAL ID, you will need other proofs of citizenship and residence such as your birth certificate/passport and valid vehicle registration or utility bill. Bring all the first time until you have it dialed-in. A REAL ID is a great idea if you don't yet have one. A REAL ID effectively has your passport embedded.

If you have a Jr. or Sr. in your name, be mindful that everything has to match! This caused me some issues when I bought my first PPT gun.

You also need your FSC, or Firearm Safety Certificate. You get this by taking a quick test and answering questions about gun safety and gun laws. You can take this test at any FFL but do this before you meet someone for a PPT. You will get the card after you pass.

Check the laws regarding a few questions pertaining to legal age to buy a gun (21), whether felons can buy guns (no), etc. Everything else is mostly simple logic.

Keep in mind that the buyer has to visit the FFL twice, once for the DROS and again to pickup. Generally it's good to accommodate the buyer a bit unless you're selling somethjng amazing and the off-roster collectors are beating on your door to buy.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom