18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Not sure which direction to expand

May I make an addendum to Slot #1. Don't forget about the Ruger Mini 14, 223, if 308 is not your bag.
 
Slot #1 contender: the apex predator — a battle rifle. HK762, SCAR 20S, or something in that tier. High cost, but the idea is one gun that can cover most of the life’s scenarios

Slot #2 idea: Lever gun — torn between either 357 Mag for the revolver compatibility but part of me wants 45-70

Slot #3: The inevitable 22 LR — because every safe needs one

Slot #4: PCC - I like the idea of a cheap-to-run, soft-shooting carbine that pairs with pistols

Slot #5: Bolt gun —Think Tikka T3x TAC A1 or similar
All of these have merit, and in time you will probably get all of them (as well as many more types of guns not listed here). But you have to start somewhere, so from your list above I would go with a .22 rifle. Learn how to shoot really well with it. Go to an Appleseed event and learn about shooting from standing, kneeling, and prone positions. Take it to some Steel Challenge matches and learn how to transition well in order to shoot fast and accurately. Then from there I would get a PCC. The skills you developed with your .22 rifle will transfer directly to the PCC, and you can also use it for more Appleseed events, Steel Challenge, and even USPSA or IDPA matches to introduce movement, efficient gun-handling, and double taps into your skill set — not to mention FUN. I mean, shooting is fun, but running and gunning is a whole new level. You’ll be hooked after your very first stage. From there, you’ll probably get into competition-oriented guns, and the rest of your life will be spent accumulating pistols, magazines, holsters, and other gear. You’ll start reloading, and you’ll become something of an amateur gunsmith, too. And from there the process will continue . . .
 
My interest in firearms started with clay shooting. Two spots in the safe are already accounted for, but I’ve still got room for three more long guns. I’m on the fence about what to fill them with — talk me into or out of my current picks. Let’s hear your thoughts

Slot #1 contender: the apex predator — a battle rifle. HK762, SCAR 20S, or something in that tier. High cost, but the idea is one gun that can cover most of the life’s scenarios

Slot #2 idea: Lever gun — torn between either 357 Mag for the revolver compatibility but part of me wants 45-70

Slot #3: The inevitable 22 LR — because every safe needs one

Slot #4: PCC - I like the idea of a cheap-to-run, soft-shooting carbine that pairs with pistols

Slot #5: Bolt gun —Think Tikka T3x TAC A1 or similar

So I`m already having more options than slots in my safe, and I know I would eventually cover all of them (just because why not) but I’m not exactly swimming in cash right now, so I’m thinking of focusing on acquiring and mastering one gun at a time. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the order, the choices themselves, and why. Honestly, everything on that list really appeals to me

TIA

Bolt Gun. In the PRK these can be had in the truest form and will have the most accuracy and reliability potential, even the budget variety. I always buy used bolt guns and have a couple that the first owner spent $7K plus on, such as GA Precision or Remington Custom Shop piece. I’ve never bought one than had more the 1K rounds down the barrel and I’ve never spent more than $3500 on what would be a $7K custom rifle. I would never pay new price on a boutique bolt gun, there are way many great used ones available that are world class shooters.
 
Back
Top Bottom