- Messages
- 1,349
- Classified ads
- 4
EDITED: calguns.net is back up...
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Can you remind us again how to chip in/make a donation? Thank you sirFYI We've reduced the promotional listing of more than 5 back to 5. The recent influx of users caused a surge, so we're throttling it a bit.
If you want to more than 5 listings, then please consider upgrading your account.
If you have more than 5+ now, those will not be affected. You will not be able to open a new listing.
I've seen a lot of listings and sales so please consider chipping in if you've sold or are moving things. It helps to keep everything free for everyone. If not, all good but we do have to limit the number of listings.
Cheers!
Kinda crazy we're getting closer and closer to 10k! Let's go!
![]()
I'm thinking of implementing something like this once we do the shirts and upgrades. I want people to see and use the features and after we do the upgrade, if it goes smoothly, then I'll put in a button for to buy a shirt or donate if they've received or left feedback and don't have a badge.A couple thoughts -
First thing is that the way images are shown as one scrolls through listings makes it MUCH faster to browse and see consistent representations of the "offerings". I find this to be FAR superior to the random or no images too often seen on CGN. Also it means I don't need to clik through to see whats on offer, again making browsing significantly faster, and also reducing bandwidth, as one doesn't have to dig to find something...
Secondly, and I know this is a "will it work?" proposition, but maybe add a big ol' button for when a "offer" becomes a sale, the now happy seller can make a contribution along with "closing" the listing and posting feedback (maybe create a simple script for a seller to follow as well to semi-automate the process?). Sorta a "tip" button like so many joints are using in electronic checkout, and also could be several options, including a "one time", a "subscription", and an option that allows "upgraded" features for different periods of time to encourage continued use of the commerce venue.
We only have temporary ones at the moment but will soon be offering an annual offering soon. I’m working on cleaning up a few things.Sorry, probably blindness on my part, but where is the upgrade button?
So at the moment I can't put anything else up for sale? Since I've reached my limit? How can it go back down?We only have temporary ones at the moment but will soon be offering an annual offering soon. I’m working on cleaning up a few things.
If you click the link, you’ll see the option for $10 for two months. That’s will bump you up to 10 for two months. We don’t reduce it, so after 2 months you keep your 10 as they get sold you just can’t open another one.So at the moment I can't put anything else up for sale? Since I've reached my limit? How can it go back down?
We’re going to move down to 3 free soon. That’s always been documented as we’ve grown. Now that we’re close to 16k users. The costs have risen dramatically.Totally fair. I would maybe have a couple supported option. Only allow 1 listing for non pay people. A couple dollars for 3 and 5 for 8 listings something like that. When money is exchanging hands I feel the platform to help with it should get supported in that transaction.
And hopefully once ad revenue covers costs you can rethink it.
Is there a link somewhere for that $5 subscription dealyoWith the recent increase in signups and increased listings. I have to look at cost structure to get ahead of costs. Obviously, this might be a sensitive subject but I am running this site out of pocket without any advertisers at the moment.
I'm building out an advertisement system but until I can implement it, I wanted to ask the community what your thoughts are on limiting the number of active listings.
- Currently the limit is set to 5 active listings per user with 3 images each.
- The file size is limited to 150kb per user which we shrink on the backend one the user uploads.
- 5 listings x 3 (150kb) images = ~2.25 Mb per user
- At our current scale if everyone had a listing 1500 * 3(150kb) = 6.7Gb of images + bandwidth to serve to users.
Proposed
- The thought is to limit the listings to 3 active for registered member where its 9 images * 150kb = 1.5Mb free + transfer .
- I may need to limit it to 1 image .
I'm being super transparent with everyone because why not.
If you want more listing or would like to help out the service sign up for a membership to receive810 listings x 5 images for $5/mo.
I'm alright now, but I'd like to get on the same page with the most active users so that when this does go down, its not a surprise and well discussed.
- Benefits of a subscriber program
- Supporter Badge
- More listings
- More images
- Banner for your profile
- Avatar is free
- Fewer ads once they get implemented
- Early access to new features and documentation
- Other things as we continue to build out the system.
Let me know your thoughts. I'm alright right now, but if we get to 10k-20k its going to start to cost some meaningful $ and I'd like to be prepared vs. surprised so that we can continue to build all the way to 50-100k users without an issue.
I hope its obvious, I don't expect everyone will pay or want to. I just need enough who believe in the platform to help foster its growth and keep it going.
You can leave a suggestion below and readers can upvote what you think are good alternatives.
Thank you for reading and contributing!
It took me a few minutes but I found it under user account and over to account upgrades.Is there a link somewhere for that $5 subscription dealyo
i mean, you dont need to make one listing for each item.The thing is, I only need to make one listing per forum in which I can list everything.
But the way this site is currently set up, I am forced to make one listing for each individual item, one by one, by one. It's a waste of bandwidth. TBH Classifieds is way over-engineered.
Recommendation: drop the entire Classifieds template and streamline it. It needs to be much, much simpler.
I will try that, but at the top where it's citing price what do you put? If I try to leave it blank, the post won't save.i mean, you dont need to make one listing for each item.
I just make a list in a post, like my current ad, and then cross em off as i go
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!