18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Off Roster Restrictions?

aw1996

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
1
Pretty new here so just wondering if there were any restrictions regarding what firearms can be transfered.
Like any handgun?
Anything with a threaded barrel?
AR pistols?
Whats the bottom line?
 
Pretty new here so just wondering if there were any restrictions regarding what firearms can be transfered.
Like any handgun?
Anything with a threaded barrel?
AR pistols?
Whats the bottom line?
Off roster doesn't apply to rifles/shotguns. Even as a LEO we have to follow Federal Laws regulating those which truly sucks. Handguns have no limits on PPT Off Roster sales.
 
Handguns have no limits on PPT Off Roster sales.
Yes they do.
Assault weapons can not be transferred.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
 
Contact your local FFL and ask them exactly what they will or will not PPT. Some shops even help make the gun california legal for PPTs.

You can PPT any firearm as long it is California Compliant. Single Shot Exemption conversions is a common way to get off roster pistols. All this comes at a cost $$$$
 
on a traditional off roster, i believe the only limitation is the threaded barrel UNLESS someone pins and welds a comp on it then you have no more threads. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Ar pistols can’t be assault weapons
AR pistols are considered assault weapons if it does not have a fixed magazine.; solutions include AR maglock, comp mags, registered bolt action a la Franklin on roster pistols.
 
I should’ve given a better explanation. You are not allowed to own an AR pistol that is configured as an assault weapon. You can either fix mag it or make it featureless.
Incorrect. I think you are referring to a Rifle. An AR Pistol cannot be featureless. It must be fixed mag. Any semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine outside of the pistol grip is an assault weapon. Since the magazine well on a standard AR-15 platform is located in front of the grip, it automatically triggers this classification.
 
I should’ve given a better explanation. You are not allowed to own an AR pistol that is configured as an assault weapon.
You can either fix mag it or make it featureless.
FALSE.

There is no "featureless" option in AR pistols because the magazine well is outside of the pistol grip.
The only way an AR pistol can be legal is if it's a registered AW or if it's fixed magazine.

I went the registered assault weapon route in order to use my pre-2000 magazines.
 
AR pistols seems like has the potential to cause issues. As such, I’d just stay away from them. At least, I did. Just seems like a potential legal headache. As for threaded barrels, I don’t know if pin or weld is legal or not. I wouldn’t want one, to the point it I were buying a PPT, I would have a gunsmith either grind off the threads or cut that part off. Overkill? Probably. As much as I like guns, it is only part of my life. I have a family, responsibilities, etc. No need to cause potential serious expensive legal issues that could mess up my life.
 
AR pistols seems like has the potential to cause issues. As such, I’d just stay away from them. At least, I did. Just seems like a potential legal headache. As for threaded barrels, I don’t know if pin or weld is legal or not. I wouldn’t want one, to the point it I were buying a PPT, I would have a gunsmith either grind off the threads or cut that part off. Overkill? Probably. As much as I like guns, it is only part of my life. I have a family, responsibilities, etc. No need to cause potential serious expensive legal issues that could mess up my life.
As long as the magazine is fixed, threads don't matter.
If the gun does not have a fixed magazine and it's semi-auto and not a registered assault weapon, then threads are not allowed.

Perm attaching a muzzle device over the threads legally removes the threads because the threads are no longer functional/usable/accessible after the perm attach.
That's why standard pistols where the magazine well is inside the pistol grip can legally have comps or brakes perm attached to a threaded barrel.
 
Back
Top Bottom