- Messages
- 782
One of my brothers has a 686. It’s simply harder to keep on target than my Glocks, no matter how much one trains. If I’m going for an HD handgun, I want one that is easiest to use accurately.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
My brother loves his 686 too. I'm mostly a 1911 and Glock guy, but I like my 648 in 22 Mag for plinking.One of my favorite S&W revolvers is this 4” 686, as pictured.
Sorry but I disagree with your comparison and I'm a 67 year old gun whore who's owned just about everything ever made. I love my Pythons, S&W 19 & 27, 29, 1917 and others, but while revolvers are reliable, accurate and fun, in today's world of self defense, they're marginally better than pepper spray in CQB.Revolver has its place. It’s what I recomend if a new shooter ask what gun to get. You pull trigger it goes bang if it don’t pull again. If it doesn’t by then then you F-ed yo forgot to load it.
Another my uncle told me who was Leo for 30 years carried an old smith 38 said you could put it against someone and it will fire vs an auto where it pushes slide back slightly and won’t fire.
IMO autos are great but at times simple is easy and I still like an auto but again like alot here we are familiar with our guns.
I definitely don't consider myself old
I love my Pythons, S&W 19 & 27, 29, 1917 and others, but while revolvers are reliable, accurate and fun, in today's world of self defense, they're marginally better than pepper spray in CQB.
Absolutely, revolvers are excellent and better than semiautos at teaching trigger control, marksmanship and proper handling, but not better at self defense in today's world. One of the things I've learned is, the amount of lead coming out of your gun, has a instant impact on the amount of lead coming at you.Revolvers are great tools to teach trigger control and to build hand speed.
The person that can master a revolver trigger can master any trigger. Same with speed loading revolvers. It creates an extra layer that enhances a shooter's technique/dexterity in ways that semi-autos can't.
The technology in 9mm bullets effectiveness has changed dramatically since then. It wouldn’t make much difference against body armor though. Neither would most calibers, magnum or not.Absolutely, revolvers are excellent and better than semiautos at teaching trigger control, marksmanship and proper handling, but not better at self defense in today's world. One of the things I've learned is, the amount of lead coming out of your gun, has a instant impact on the amount of lead coming at you.
When you're in a gunfight and hear your hammer drop on an empty chamber, that's the loudest click you'll ever hear. I keep thinking about the FBI agents in Florida who caught 2 bank robbers, who were VN vets and how the agents with revolvers were slaughtered.
I was down the street from the North Hollywood Bank robbery and was shocked how worthless the LAPD 9mm & 12g was against them. A buddy of mine was one of the SWAT cops that came from training in Venice and lit up the MF'er behind the pickup with an M4. In a gunfight, you can't get enough ammo in your gun because it disappears quickly.