18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Overthinking what to get. 9MM PX4, PDP, Echelon, SA1911 Target, or SA EMP 3"?

I have not shot a 1911 I liked, but that's only been 2 so not much in terms of experience there.
Mainly the grip is thinner than I'd like and just not natural to me, they felt slippery and like the gun wanted to turn when I was shooting. I'm sure there are aftermarket grips that would help, but I'm not really into tinkering so not interested in that (but you may be).
Opposite here. My 1911's have the thinner Kimber rosewood grips added. I do not like fat grip pistols like Glock or double stack 2011's.
 
Opposite here. My 1911's have the thinner Kimber rosewood grips added. I do not like fat grip pistols like Glock or double stack 2011's.
That's exactly why renting or just buy and sell what you don't like is key
We all have different preferences and what works or doesn't
But, that's the fun of the gun world, there's something for everyone so hopefully OP finds what works for them
 
That's exactly why renting or just buy and sell what you don't like is key
We all have different preferences and what works or doesn't
But, that's the fun of the gun world, there's something for everyone so hopefully OP finds what works for them
Agree 100% but also if a guy says he doesn’t like tinkering it’s fair to say a 1911 isn’t the best option lol
 
Yeah, at this point, I have to try one.
They’re definitely an underrated platform, and Langdon Tactical does a great job improving it. If you can find one, I’d also recommend the Type C variant. It’s similar to the HK LEM or Sig DAK and dispenses with the safety/decock levers. Mine has a very smooth ~7lbs consistent pull.
 
I have not shot a 1911 I liked, but that's only been 2 so not much in terms of experience there
Mainly the grip is thinner than I'd like and just not natural to me, they felt slippery and like the gun wanted to turn when I was shooting. I'm sure there are aftermarket grips that would help, but I'm not really into tinkering so not interested in that (but you may be)
I have shot and own a couple of 2011s (double stack 1911s, though many point out they aren't real 1911s) and I absolutely love them. My Fusion XP Pro is my favorite and it takes Glock mags so that's nice
My HD gun is the PDP full size though because it is my easiest/most natural shooter
M&P has been my go to carry gun
Another long one, but hopefully helpful to you
And hell, if you're ever in San Diego and want to try a variety I'm happy to oblige at my local range
how do you own a 2011 in CA? I was born in 91941, live in 92111 now.
 
Why the Sig specifically? You could always get a 9mm 1911 full size, there’s at least one on roster (Springfield and maybe Kimber?)
he said "grail gun" and for the price, right now it's mine....the SA and Kimber are well within my price range if I want.
 
I like the PX4 personally. No need to send it to LTT, just get their Trigger Job in a Bag and be done. I have it on my 92 and it is one of the best triggers of anything in my safe, hands down. The only issue with the PX4 is that it’s not as popular as some newer platforms so accessories may be harder to find.
I picked up a PX4 a few years back. Tossed in a few LTT upgrades and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites to take to the range.
 
I like the PX4 personally. No need to send it to LTT, just get their Trigger Job in a Bag and be done. I have it on my 92 and it is one of the best triggers of anything in my safe, hands down. The only issue with the PX4 is that it’s not as popular as some newer platforms so accessories may be harder to find.
Id advise getting the low profile safety installed as well
 
Opposite here. My 1911's have the thinner Kimber rosewood grips added. I do not like fat grip pistols like Glock or double stack 2011's.
not all double stack grips are the same, the Legion feels different, the glocks are "blocky" for lack of a better word, the staccatto feels nice. waiting for the P211 GTO to come out to go test it.
 
I liked the Glock because It was easy to break down, easy to modify, and shot pretty good. It was big. I had a Walther P22, it was fun.
I am looking at a home defense gun that is fun to shoot. I don't shoot a lot but I would like to own a gun that makes me want to shoot more.

What would make the gun fun?
Maybe a gun with a lighter, smoother trigger, that shoots "soft". I get they all recoil, but if test results range from some 30-35 lbs (I made these up random for simplicity of explanation) I would use that information as a tie breaker in the end.
My Glock trigger got polished up and pulled much better than the original "paddle through sand" feel it started with, it was never too heavy but it was nothing to highlight (this was a 2009 ish era model).

I hear all this about PDP best trigger.
I hear all this about wisting barrel PX4 storm
I hear a 1911 trigger and all metal build fires better and feels better than any polymer gun.
I love the look of the little 1911 EMP 3", but I read holding it under rapid fire it crawls out of your hand.

OBVIOUSLY I should just go shoot them to see which I like, but I would sure love to cross some off the list right now and cut some of the rental costs so I am not trying 6 different guns.
I also considered the S&W M&P 2.0 full size, maybe even the metal, but it's sort of fallen off the list only as I have been pre-occupied with figuring out what it would cost me to buy the PX4 storm, send to LTT, and wait......and pay as much as the gun by the time I get it back.

Talk me into or out of something
Get the M&P 2.0. You won’t regret it. The PX-4 is okay.
 
I probably would have already but it seems like I am a liitle late to the party for the deal. Gun with cheap optic and extra mags...everyone who has a good price is out of stock, whoever has any wants more....but I am going to shoot it and a 1911 and the PX4 just seems "special" but not very popular.
If you are looking into the gear up deals, they run those every year so it isn't something that you should worry about missing out on.

The extra mags make the deal worth it and the optic will be something you will want to upgrade in the future.

1911s are dated but still very popular among enthusiasts. Only downside is the lack of dedicated rail and the relatively complex disassembly but the learning curve for this isn't bad. It is a firearm that demands excellence when performing marksmanship.

PX4 storms are under-rated platforms but if you like the idea of a polymer framed hammer fired firearm then you should give it a shot. It is the only Beretta offering that has a rail, changeable sights and a back strap adjust-ability. Globally the PX4 storm suffered from terrible marketing but is a pretty well designed firearm.
 
Last edited:
I just meant what about the Sig stands out to you in comparison to other 1911s (on roster or not). Looks? External extractor for reliability? Brand loyalty?
I love sigs, but will buy RIA's or anything else that I find a good deal with.
SEEMS to ME you get a better deal with a railed Sig vs others like SA, SA with a rail is 4-600 more than a IMHO comparable sig. there are also RIA's with rails out there. got rid of the SA loaded I picked up because I did better with the RIA And the SIgs and that honestly surprised me. yet to find a good deal on a Kimber but I do look around.
 
I bought my first 1911 after I couldn't find my late father's pistol. It was his 1943 issued Marine Corp Colt.

I bought the Springfield mil spec because it was the closest thing to it I could afford. A friend died a couple years back and his wife showed his guitars, amps and guns. He had a Colt 1911 in great condition. I told her to get top dollar for it even though I wanted it.

I'm ok with the Springfield.
 
I just meant what about the Sig stands out to you in comparison to other 1911s (on roster or not). Looks? External extractor for reliability? Brand loyalty?
good reviews, reliable brand, looks, but I have no reason to like any 1911, never shot one.
 
I liked the Glock because It was easy to break down, easy to modify, and shot pretty good. It was big. I had a Walther P22, it was fun.
I am looking at a home defense gun that is fun to shoot. I don't shoot a lot but I would like to own a gun that makes me want to shoot more.

What would make the gun fun?
Maybe a gun with a lighter, smoother trigger, that shoots "soft". I get they all recoil, but if test results range from some 30-35 lbs (I made these up random for simplicity of explanation) I would use that information as a tie breaker in the end.
My Glock trigger got polished up and pulled much better than the original "paddle through sand" feel it started with, it was never too heavy but it was nothing to highlight (this was a 2009 ish era model).

I hear all this about PDP best trigger.
I hear all this about wisting barrel PX4 storm
I hear a 1911 trigger and all metal build fires better and feels better than any polymer gun.
I love the look of the little 1911 EMP 3", but I read holding it under rapid fire it crawls out of your hand.

OBVIOUSLY I should just go shoot them to see which I like, but I would sure love to cross some off the list right now and cut some of the rental costs so I am not trying 6 different guns.
I also considered the S&W M&P 2.0 full size, maybe even the metal, but it's sort of fallen off the list only as I have been pre-occupied with figuring out what it would cost me to buy the PX4 storm, send to LTT, and wait......and pay as much as the gun by the time I get it back.

Talk me into or out of something
Echelon 4.0c best compact I have
 
Buy the one that looks the coolest to you. The one that makes you want to pose in the mirror and look like a badass.
This is not a joke. Your stated reason is "a gun that makes you want to shoot more.". Your choices are all decent guns.
1) You already have Glocks for practical purposes.
2) you won't really know what the best gun for you until you shoot more and find incompatiblities with your current favorite.

Logic makes decisions, but emotions drive action. Since it's action you want, go with the emotional choice and don't overthink it.
 
Back
Top Bottom