18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question P220R Roster version - Police trade-in legality?

MrBanditOne

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
4
Question about the Sig P220R as listed on the CA Roster. Does the P220R .45 ACP have to be the exact SIG CA-model SKU (220R-45-BSS-CA) to be CA compliant and thus transferable on-roster in this state?

The CA DOJ Roster website does not list a particular SKU for the P220R, only noting “P220R (Blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy” in .45 ACP. There have been a plethora of police trade in P220Rs listed online at good prices lately, if the Roster only does indeed specify P220R with no CA-specific SKU then perhaps any standard P220R can be transferred?
 
Last edited:
Generally it must be the California specific version to be “on roster.” Why else would there be a California version?
 
The roster is the roster. It has to be the exact SKU listed. The trade ins are most likely not going to be on the list. You can link to the listing and we can put eyes on it to try and help.
 
The roster is the roster. It has to be the exact SKU listed. The trade ins are most likely not going to be on the list. You can link to the listing and we can put eyes on it to try and help.
Fully understand this, that’s why the vast majority of pistols on the Roster have a SKU listed on the DOJ site. However, the P226R is not listed with a particular SKU, again being only “P220R (Blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy” in .45 ACP.

This is the listing in question (which is otherwise a standard black P226R):
 
Has to be the exact California sku. Until the democrats lose the roster we are stuck to that rule
 
Fully understand this, that’s why the vast majority of pistols on the Roster have a SKU listed on the DOJ site. However, the P226R is not listed with a particular SKU, again being only “P220R (Blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy” in .45 ACP.

This is the listing in question (which is otherwise a standard black P226R):
Oh you know what, like some of the older HK and other guns that were added to the roster before they added requirements like MD and LCI it could be on roster without a specific CA model. My P2000SK is like that. On roster but wasn’t a CA special model. Ask if the FFL will sell it to you
 
Fully understand this, that’s why the vast majority of pistols on the Roster have a SKU listed on the DOJ site. However, the P226R is not listed with a particular SKU, again being only “P220R (Blued)/Stainless Steel, Alloy” in .45 ACP.

This is the listing in question (which is otherwise a standard black P226R):
💩 I would try that as the second listed p220r on the roster. Especially if you have an FFL that will list it as such when logging it. (not a lawyer)

reads like this one to me:

I also just bought a 220 last week so I don’t need one haha
 
Something else to consider. Even at that $499 price, and even if you can get a California FFL to go for it, you’re going to get stomped with fees. You’ll have shipping (overnight since it’s a handgun), FFL transfer fees (which are $75-100 in California from what I’ve experienced), sales tax plus the wildly unconstitutional gun tax which can be 20% of the price of the gun when all is said and done, and DROS fee. I’ve seen P220s listed here for less than what you’d pay for one of these, so you can thank the people who vote for this insanity year after year to deny us reasonably priced firearms.
 
I won’t say what I just spent on a new p220 but it was way more then this plus fees.
 
If you are a finger grooves enthusiast, the Hogue grips for the P220 are fantastic.

My P226 MK25 I'm keeping fully stock and preserving the classic look, but the P220 which has a bit more recoil and blast than the 226 does feels great with the Hogues.
 
I won’t say what I just spent on a new p220 but it was way more then this plus fees.
Well yeah. A new one will always be more than a police trade-in. But I’ve seen used ones on this forum in the $700 range.
 
Jesus, I guess I did better than I thought. I just took delivery of a low time P220 with all the factory stuff plus a
holster and an extra mag for $600 plus DROS.
Barney
 
Jesus, I guess I did better than I thought. I just took delivery of a low time P220 with all the factory stuff plus a
holster and an extra mag for $600 plus DROS.
Barney
damn you! lol
 
Why are people acting like the SKU mattered for every gun? Did you guys forget how vague the listing on the Gen 3 Glocks was, and how there was a seperate blurb on the roster site for "no glocks made in the USA" and "no gens past gen 3" were a thing. And then when the retro remakes of the Gen 1 P80 came around a whole bunch of people managed to get them before they added on "no gen 1 or 2, only gen 3"
 
20 years ago, the roster completely ignored concepts like SKU.

Even today, if a used gun shows up at an FFL without its shipping case, it's not easy for the dealer to figure out the SKU, in particular if the original case is not present. I think they're just supposed to go by the obvious model to check whether its on the roster, unless the DoJ roster website has special instructions (for example Glocks, or the letter in the serial number of S&W revolvers).
 
W. German 1986

I could not even find my SKU. LOL


IMG_5063.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom