18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question RDS Zero Distance

09cs

Member
Messages
47
Just getting into RDS on pistols, and have a Holosun 507c. What distance would you recommend for a zero? This will be on a CCW gun.
 
I think zeros should be at the maximum distance you can hold a group tight enough to assess the pattern’s center relative to intended point of impact. For me and the range I go to, that means 25 yards. Plenty of people zero at 10 or 15 though. I wouldn’t zero any closer than 10 because impacts will start to be quite a bit high relative to the dot at intermediate ranges.
 
I tried 25yds at first but later settled at 15yds. I figured any shoot I'm involved in is very unlikely to be even beyond 5-10yds but at that distance any different in impact is negligible. Then again, Elijah 🍆ens' shoot was on my mind so I went back to 25yds.

Am I overthinking it? Yeah I'd say so. But that's how I landed at 25.
 
For my CCW guns, I use a 10 yard zero. Competition I’d say maybe 15, but even that is probably pushing it.
 
When thinking about what zero to use for a PMO (pistol mounted optic), first you should understand the concept of Maximum Point Blank Range:
Maximum point-blank range (MPBR) is the distance (in yards) a projectile (bullet) can travel without rising or falling more than a predetermined measurement above or below the point of aim.

Ideally you use a zero that gives you the longest MPBR so you don't have to worry about hold over/under--just aim and shoot. For a PMO that typically means having POI (point of impact) no more than one inch above or below POA (point of aim). Barrel length, caliber, bullet weight, velocity and ballistic coefficient all come into play.

This sounds counter-intuitive but generally speaking a 10 yard zero will give you the longest MPBR.
 
I like to use 25. At 10 yards you end up being only about an inch low and it's not too hard to reach up to 100 yards or so if you need to.
 
Back
Top Bottom