18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Recommendations wanted: Head Shavers?

Don’t confuse general men things with politics. The problem with off topics was the adversarial political positions.

There’s a lot of bald 2A guys everywhere and many with beards and flannel or tactical apparel.

Honestly, I was amused this thread showed up. I like to bring in things that connect us
Ahhh, the creep of incrementalism. Don't get me wrong. I like off topic. I find it humorous that it is appearing here where people were so adamantly against it. Carry on.
 
Hmmmm, I've never heard that.

I use the Gillette Mach 3 razor refills. The only complaint I have is that I go through a cartridge every two shaves and that's pushing it. Those tiny hairs on my neck start to cause irritation because of rubbing on shirts, hoodies I'm assuming. They aren't cheap either, $37.XX for a 15 count. DAMN, I never really looked at the price, that's pretty outrageous.

I may have to try the safety razor.

Gillette Mach 3 is certainly the way to go! However, save yourself a bunch of money, use hair conditioner as your shaving lubricant, not soap, not aerosol gel, not even shave cream. When you are finished shaving your face and head, thoroughly rinse and dry the the razor by shaking it vigorously and storing it in the open air where it will dry quickly. I've been doing this for decades and I get at least ten shaves out of each cartridge. Also, remember to get the closest shave you have to pass the razor over each area in different directions.
 
I thought this site didn't do "off topic."
No, the "practical" rule of thumb here is, never criticize Republicans or Authoritarians. It's fine if you want to criticize and or mock Democrats. Not necessarily the "company line" here but, that's pretty much what it amounts too, in my humble opinion. Happy New Year!
 
No, the "practical" rule of thumb here is, never criticize Republicans or Authoritarians. It's fine if you want to criticize and or mock Democrats. Not necessarily the "company line" here but, that's pretty much what it amounts too, in my humble opinion. Happy New Year!
We do the best we can with volunteers. There’s a lot that you don’t see that gets removed but everyone complains. Head over to Calguns and they’ll have the complete opposite opinion of what you think. Why do you think that is, even former members here.

The bottom line is be respectful and relevant to people. Let’s let these guys get back to Bald heads recommendations.

I’ll remove my own post above because i mention politics and wasted no time to go there. I’ll say it again, we want to find things we have in common.

I personally prefer electric shavers but never go for razor since it gets itchy
 
Gillette Mach 3 is certainly the way to go! However, save yourself a bunch of money, use hair conditioner as your shaving lubricant, not soap, not aerosol gel, not even shave cream. When you are finished shaving your face and head, thoroughly rinse and dry the the razor by shaking it vigorously and storing it in the open air where it will dry quickly. I've been doing this for decades and I get at least ten shaves out of each cartridge. Also, remember to get the closest shave you have to pass the razor over each area in different directions.
Are you implying that the shaving lubricants are to blame for going through cartridges so fast? I use Headblade/Headslick shaving cream. I'm trying to figure out where I can save money from your post.

Of course I can get 10 shaves out of it, but it becomes more like pulling hair than shaving it. Also that blue lubrication strip at the top usually wears away after a couple uses.

I do the exact same procedure as you and there's no way I would get 10 shaves from a single cartridge and my hair is barely growing out after 1.5 days, but my scalp gets itchy so I need to shave again.
 
Are you implying that the shaving lubricants are to blame for going through cartridges so fast? I use Headblade/Headslick shaving cream. I'm trying to figure out where I can save money from your post.

Of course I can get 10 shaves out of it, but it becomes more like pulling hair than shaving it. Also that blue lubrication strip at the top usually wears away after a couple uses.

I do the exact same procedure as you and there's no way I would get 10 shaves from a single cartridge and my hair is barely growing out after 1.5 days, but my scalp gets itchy so I need to shave again.

Actually, R8, I wasn't implying anything. I stated that I save a lot of money by using hair conditioner as opposed to specialty shaving lubricants. I buy the large pump dispenser container of Pantene 5 in 1 when it's on sale at Costco and that will last me close to a year. I wet my head and face with warm water and spread it on thin.

As for pulling, when I feel the blade pulling, I replace it and I still get ten head and face shaves out of one cartridge. I have a heavy Italian beard and a size 8 head. I never pay attention to the lubrication strip on the blade.

I don't know what you are using as a lubricant, possibly it's more corrosive to the razors OR maybe your hair and beard is more abrasive than mine? Too much iron in your diet...... ;)
 
Although I'm follically challenged, I leave the hair on the sides. I found over the years it does help protect the head from bumps, cuts and bruises.

Plus it's a unique look these days. Ugly @ss egg heads are not appealing to me, too many Humpty Dumpty's running around.
 
Honestly, completely shaved sucks as it is the most time intensive haircut to manage/ keep up. I tried and got tired of it in a week. I switch to regular electric clippers, zero guard and shaved once every week or so. I did this for a few years for sanitary reasons because of the job I worked and was just easier to wash face and head with soap then break out shampoo, style, etc.
 
Gillette Mach 3 is certainly the way to go! However, save yourself a bunch of money, use hair conditioner as your shaving lubricant, not soap, not aerosol gel, not even shave cream. When you are finished shaving your face and head, thoroughly rinse and dry the the razor by shaking it vigorously and storing it in the open air where it will dry quickly. I've been doing this for decades and I get at least ten shaves out of each cartridge. Also, remember to get the closest shave you have to pass the razor over each area in different directions.
I’ve tried hair conditioner and hair shampoo as shaving lube; something about it, maybe the chemicals in it, gives my scalp a burning feeling.

I mainly use Nivea sensitive cooling shave gel; I think it has menthol in it for the cooling. Canned aerosol gels and creams are generally not recommended for scalp because they tend to dry the scalp skin out. You are better off using a shave cream in a squeeze tube. However, with Nivea sensitive cooling shave gel, it works for me, it doesn’t burn when re-applying while I’m in the shower using it. So, this is more of EDC gel for me; use in the shower.

If using canned aerosol on scalp, I recommend a gel; not a foam.

If I have more time or it’s a nice night out, I will warm up a textured lathering bowl in the sink, take a dab of shaving cream (the kind that comes in a tinned can that needs to be prepped), and whip it up. I think Rocky Mountain Barber Company is from one of the northern states or was it Canada; I forgot. For this non-edc method, I shave in the mirror.

The thing with using electric shaver and shaving gel/cream is it tends to build resistance inside the shave head, so the blades don’t rotate as freely. Once you hear the rhythm change, you need to rinse it out, you can hear the difference in the rhythm of the motor or whirring sound of the blades. Whenever I have bumps I will use electric; but only in the shower because of the more thorough rinsing.

Polo Ralph Lauren black makes a pleasant smelling aftershave gel for a nice night out; but don’t ever use that on your head. It burned so bad for me.


IMG_5416.webp
 
Last edited:
Also helps to have one of these nick sticks handy. It will burn but help stop the bleeding for small nicks because of the alcohol content. For big cuts, it won’t stop the bleeding; you need a band-aid. I’ve rushed the safety razor shaving process before and have cut a whole piece of skin off with meat when working the contours/dip on the top edges of my head; cocked the blade at a bad angle with that fresh blade. IMG_5417.webp
 
It’s beyond me as to why guys shave anything. Besides being a pain in the ass, it also takes time and money. Just go natural.

1. Cleanliness 2. Dislike facial hair with the exception of eyebrows. 3. A freshly shaved head and face makes me feel like a new man. 4. I automatically distrust men with "Duck Dynasty" style unkempt beards, (women too ;) ).
 
I’ve tried hair conditioner and hair shampoo as shaving lube; something about it, maybe the chemicals in it, gives my scalp a burning feeling.

I've never experience a burning sensation (or any other sensation) with the conditioner that I use. Two possible reasons: 1.) The product I use. 2.) I have a hide like an elephant, can't even draw blood using a glucose monitor the several times my wife has insisted I try doing it.
 
Although I'm follically challenged, I leave the hair on the sides. I found over the years it does help protect the head from bumps, cuts and bruises.

Plus it's a unique look these days. Ugly @ss egg heads are not appealing to me, too many Humpty Dumpty's running around.

This evokes images of Jimi with what's called a "tonsure" or a monk style haircut:

1767395133216.webp
 
I have tried two of the knockoffs from amazon, they have weird names common to products sold on amazon. They look identical to the name brand popular electric skull shavers. In both cases I felt they are not that great but functional. I plan to finally pony up the money for the name brand and see if it’s better.
 
1. Cleanliness 2. Dislike facial hair with the exception of eyebrows. 3. A freshly shaved head and face makes me feel like a new man. 4. I automatically distrust men with "Duck Dynasty" style unkempt beards, (women too ;) ).
Beard and hair is no dirtier than your skin.

And I keep my beard short. Ish.
 
Orange bic, a small mirror and whatever shaving cream. You lol get used to it after two months
 
Welcome to the club!!

Best electric shaver is the Philips Norelco Head Shaver Pro 9000 followed by the Skull Shaver Gold Pro. The Philips is higher quality, offers a very close shave, and has a 5 year warranty. The Skull Shaver works very well (but not as well as the Philips) and lasts about a year. Skull Shaver has a great replacement warranty, but I shifted to the Philips because I got tired of having to replace the shaver unit every year.

I recommend wet shaving in the shower with good shaving cream. Best of luck!
 
Hopefully I don’t sound racist or ignorant, if I were to ever pay somebody now to use a straight razor to my head, I would find an experienced African American barber (that’s not a barber college due to bad experience) that has experience in using a straight razor, the barber would need to be on the older side, but not too old where he’s shaking with the straight razor due to old age or arthritis. But I don’t want a young guy who doesn’t have a lot of experience doing straight razor cuts. If he’s younger but has a lot of experience with straight razor cuts; that’s fine.

Hopefully I don’t sound racist or ignorant, African American barber because I think they know how to deal with sensitive skin and shaving the head with a straight razor better. I’m not African American or of African descent but my scalp is very sensitive, hair stubble on my scalp is thick, and scalp skin is prone to bumps.

I enjoyed your reference - I too am not African American, but I do think the experience AA barbers know how to work a razor well. Plus, they have the experience and know how to work with different types of hair. It may be one thing cutting straight thick hair, but to master curly or wavy hair as well as thin/thick hair - that takes experience.

I am not sure if I have the balls to experiment with a straight razor or even a manual razor for that matter. I haven't even used a manual razor on my face in over a decade. Not to say I had a bad experience with a manual razor, but I like the idea of electric; even if it doesn't produce as close as a shave (maybe some stubble left over?).

I am still heavily researching how to proceed; everything from which brand of electric razor, to the prep work, to the aftercare. Shaving my head on a regular basis is going to be a whole other ball game compare to clean shaving my face. My hair follicles tend to be thicker on my head and I have straight hair that grows pretty rapidly.

Appreciate all of the insight thus far - and for all of the manual razor recommendations; I'm taking note of those too (for when I am ready to experiment)!

There’s a lot of bald 2A guys everywhere and many with beards and flannel or tactical apparel.

^And this is exactly why I wanted to bring this up in forum. I cannot count how many times I've seen guys at the range with clean shaven heads - only to ponder to myself - how did they pull it off? What is their routine like? What products do they use for prep and aftercare?

Lots to learn here!
 
I enjoyed your reference - I too am not African American, but I do think the experience AA barbers know how to work a razor well. Plus, they have the experience and know how to work with different types of hair. It may be one thing cutting straight thick hair, but to master curly or wavy hair as well as thin/thick hair - that takes experience.

I am not sure if I have the balls to experiment with a straight razor or even a manual razor for that matter. I haven't even used a manual razor on my face in over a decade. Not to say I had a bad experience with a manual razor, but I like the idea of electric; even if it doesn't produce as close as a shave (maybe some stubble left over?).

I am still heavily researching how to proceed; everything from which brand of electric razor, to the prep work, to the aftercare. Shaving my head on a regular basis is going to be a whole other ball game compare to clean shaving my face. My hair follicles tend to be thicker on my head and I have straight hair that grows pretty rapidly.

Appreciate all of the insight thus far - and for all of the manual razor recommendations; I'm taking note of those too (for when I am ready to experiment)!



^And this is exactly why I wanted to bring this up in forum. I cannot count how many times I've seen guys at the range with clean shaven heads - only to ponder to myself - how did they pull it off? What is their routine like? What products do they use for prep and aftercare?

Lots to learn here!

If you are bald, and wear specifically TRUCKER HATS, I recommend taking off the hat once in awhile to get the full sun exposure for a day once in awhile. Otherwise, you will have the back of your head tanned with the same pattern of the splines of the back of a trucker cap. I actually have that right now. Exfoliating scrub before shaving with safety razor doesn’t remove the tanned skin to blend it in at all.

It’s so far in that tanned state of a spline pattern that I need to find a day to do it without the public noticing, or just say screw it and do it on a outdoor range day or BBQ day. Hopefully these folks will be more supportive, different experience than walking to the grocery store, and won’t get snickered at too much…..🤣
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom