18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Red vs Green Dots

I prefer green, your eyes will pick it up better. Had a range session with the sun in our eyes. My buddies couldn't pick up the red dot. I had them try out my green dot and they all went out and got green. But red doesn't effect your night vision as much as green. Take a look at the sight with auto dimming reticle.
 
My guess on the availability of green dots is that those of us with astigmatisms (often that we're completely unaware of prior to looking at our first dot) are told green is better than red, so we go all in on green only to find that it still sucks for our eyes and we're going back to iron sights. That's been my journey at least. I have 20/10 vision but a horrific astigmatism, and to make matters worse, I'm a left eye dominant right hand shooter. The only "dot" that my eyes can work with is the Holosun AEMS on my AR pistol. Have sold everything else and just train irons. A lot of people think the dot is the easy button but depending on your eyes it just makes things harder.
 
I have both and shoot both. My eye seems to pick up both equally. I have astigmatism as well and don’t notice enough difference to call it. I just got the green due to all the hype and people saying it's better for astigmatism.
 
I have both and shoot both. My eye seems to pick up both equally. I have astigmatism as well and don’t notice enough difference to call it. I just got the green due to all the hype and people saying it's better for astigmatism.
This! It is great to have good vision lol
 
Red works fine for me, have not tried green yet. That's in part because some of my use is in places with a lot of green in the background. Outdoor range surrounded by conifer forest, and lots of wilderness trail carry. Green might still work fine, but until I have a chance to test it am a little hesitant to commit to it.
 
I have both red and green. Both work fine under all the conditions I tested them. Personally, purely subjectively, I lean towards green, but it has nothing to do with the performance. I just like it a little better.
 
Red 100% of the time.

There's a story behind that.

I've always had astigmatism in my eyes. Never bothered me, I still had better than 20/20 vision well in to my late 30's.

Fast forward a few years. I purchased a couple of red dots and a green dot for my pistols.

The red dots were fine I had no problems, but the green dot was a MESS.

It looked like a streak across the center of the sight, and that it was a line or 'check mark' almost in shape unlike the 'dot' I expected. I put on the prescription glasses I had recently gotten, and saw little improvement.

I went to take pictures to return it, and discovered that green dot was a perfect circle in the lenses of the camera. The red dot was the same. Tried multiple cameras. Had a younger person check.

It was my eyes that were making the green dot unusable, even with Rx glasses on.

So, in my opinion, Red Dots are vastly superior, as they work for me.

Besides my personal bias, I also feel green dots may (MAY) affect night vision while red dots should not.

Personal experience may vary.
 
~8% of men suffer from green-color deficiency. Not to say they can't see green at all, but under certain lighting conditions and depending on the brightness of the green dot, target acquisition may be harder.
 
Red dots and orange front sights for me. I can use green, but I find red/orange have higher contrast and are less likely to be lost against the background for me.

This is the setup I have learned I like the best as well. Everything has an orange front iron sight red dots or not.
 
The difference is likely similar to adding 10 horsepower to a 500 hp car. Yea, it makes a difference but no, you're not likely to feel it.
 
Back
Top Bottom