18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Review Reed's Indoor Range - Santa Clara

Website
https://www.reedsindoorrange.com/
Location
1100 Duane Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95054, USA
Region
  1. NorCal
Sub-Region
Bay Area
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Services offered
    • 🤝 PPT
    • 📝 FSC Test
    • 🔧 Gun Smithing
    • 📦 Ammo Transfer
    • 🚚 FFL Transfer
    • 🛡️ Firearms Training
    • 🔫 Firearm Sales
    • ⌚️ Accessories
    • 📦 🤝 Consignment
    • 🕋 Indoor Range
PPT
  1. Walk-In Accepted
Submit reviews using the Reviews tab and discuss it here!
I got some very light gunsmithing services done at Reeds and couldn't be happier. I basically took apart an old rifle and couldn't get it back together. I probably could have kept trying, but every time I did it wrong I slightly bent a spring more and more. Figured getting it professionally done was better than trying to find a replacement spring when i inevitably broke it.

They had it fixed within 2 weeks (gunsmith was backed up).
 
I was in Reeds today for a PPT and I have to say service was amazing. In and out in 20 minutes despite having wait a few minutes to get started - Sunday afternoon, they were very busy. The guy helping us out could not have been more efficient or courteous. I even forgot my commuter mug on the counter, and he follwed me out to the parking lot with it. A great experience all around!
 
I've been going to Reed's since it that building was the National Shooting Club, and yes, all good through many years.

They are why I now own a Sig P365, as I rented one there to try and first my first shot was a bull's eye at 10yds, so I was sold LOL!
 
I was in Reeds today for a PPT and I have to say service was amazing. In and out in 20 minutes despite having wait a few minutes to get started - Sunday afternoon, they were very busy. The guy helping us out could not have been more efficient or courteous. I even forgot my commuter mug on the counter, and he follwed me out to the parking lot with it. A great experience all around!

I will admit, my first transaction at Reed's was a bit off-putting. But since then, it has been noting but positive and I've found myself doing several PPTs there in the past few years. The staff may be hit or miss, but they will get what you need done, even with all of the foot traffic that they get.
 
Haven’t bought anything from them, but their range staff leaves a bit to be desired. In the many times, I’ve been there to shoot, they usually give that less than welcoming glare as you come into the facility. The last time I was there, I was meeting up with a friend of a friend to teach him how to shoot. The staff heard that I was instructing and threw a fit. Started demanding that I can’t teach anyone if I’m not on their approved list. I pointed out that I wasn’t doing it professionally. I was simply one guy teaching another guy how to shoot a gun. The staff member still tried to block me, but the manager finally said it was fine.
 
Haven’t bought anything from them, but their range staff leaves a bit to be desired. In the many times, I’ve been there to shoot, they usually give that less than welcoming glare as you come into the facility. The last time I was there, I was meeting up with a friend of a friend to teach him how to shoot. The staff heard that I was instructing and threw a fit. Started demanding that I can’t teach anyone if I’m not on their approved list. I pointed out that I wasn’t doing it professionally. I was simply one guy teaching another guy how to shoot a gun. The staff member still tried to block me, but the manager finally said it was fine.
When did this happen?
 
Haven’t bought anything from them, but their range staff leaves a bit to be desired. In the many times, I’ve been there to shoot, they usually give that less than welcoming glare as you come into the facility. The last time I was there, I was meeting up with a friend of a friend to teach him how to shoot. The staff heard that I was instructing and threw a fit. Started demanding that I can’t teach anyone if I’m not on their approved list. I pointed out that I wasn’t doing it professionally. I was simply one guy teaching another guy how to shoot a gun. The staff member still tried to block me, but the manager finally said it was fine.

I've shot there probably hundreds of times in the last 20+ years and, while they don't dance for joy when they see me walk through the door, they are civil and business like - check my ID, ask me if I want a target, eyes, ears, ammo etc and assign me a lane. I could understand a "less than welcoming glare" once or twice but not, as you say, "usually".

I'm posting this because my experience is the opposite of yours.
 
Agree with everything here. First encounter with Reeds was when they were on Alum Rock. They used to have an annual parking lot sale with all of the big ammo companies there with semi-trailers loaded to the hilt. At the same time, big sale in the store on guns. It was PACKED every day the sale was on.

One of the best at dealing with post sales paperwork. They had a dedicated staff in the side room to deal with this. start at one end, fill out form, go to the next table for the next step, etc. Eezee peezee.

Edit: I forgot to add that in their current Santa Clara location parking SUCKS. Really hard to find a decent place to park without a long walk to the front door. Not much they can do about it, I'm just uncomfortable hauling a heavy range bag in a somewhat vulnerable location (back parking lot for instance).

Dan
 
Last edited:
I like Reed's because it's not only the closest but also one of the few places that allows me to shoot buckshots out of my shotguns. However, I have stopped going because of my elevated lead level.
I also really like the people working there and I know several of them (mostly the younger ones). Their used price is however ridiculous whereas their new gun prices is usually $50 above retail. However, they did offer Rost Martin before almost anyone else I know in the whole Bay Area and they offer it in MSRP.
 
I can kind of understand their cold behavior. They're a range that has a ton of rentals, which attracts a lot of inexperienced shooters. The number of times I've seen people do stupid stuff there is insane. They have to watch everyone like a hawk and be very firm their rules. If I worked there and had to deal with all the stuff that they deal with on a daily basis I'd probably be the same. I've personally never had a problem with any of the staff, but I avoid going there unless I want to rent something because there are just too many people doing all sorts of unsafe things.
 
Range is good as it's a good indoor option and they have business hours to go in the evening.

Prices are high though.

They're very expensive for FFL transfers.
They are very picky for PPT - they charge $100/day for storage if you don't pick up on exactly the pickup date.
They also refused a PPT for me because the gun had a mag that was blocked but not epoxied.
 
Is that true? I've never heard that they "allow" rapid fire. Not to say they are strict about policing their 3 second rule. I have read that they will allow you to practice with a holster if you take one of the self defense classes...
They have a “Holster” Card that, after shooting here for years, I was just informed of. I double tap everytime I go but this time it was problem I guess. You have to take both of their pistol classes, each $300. They’re only held on weekends and only every other month. The silver lining was that because I have a CCW and I’ve taken other handgun classes they’d waive the first class.
 
I like Reed's because it's not only the closest but also one of the few places that allows me to shoot buckshots out of my shotguns. However, I have stopped going because of my elevated lead level.
I also really like the people working there and I know several of them (mostly the younger ones). Their used price is however ridiculous whereas their new gun prices is usually $50 above retail. However, they did offer Rost Martin before almost anyone else I know in the whole Bay Area and they offer it in MSRP.
What test do you get from your doctor for lead levels in your body? Is it expensive? And with what frequency do you do such testing?
 
Range is good as it's a good indoor option and they have business hours to go in the evening.

Prices are high though.

They're very expensive for FFL transfers.
They are very picky for PPT - they charge $100/day for storage if you don't pick up on exactly the pickup date.
They also refused a PPT for me because the gun had a mag that was blocked but not epoxied.
Not that it is much better, but they charge $100/week for storage fees on ppt guns not picked up by the end of the 11th day
 
What test do you get from your doctor for lead levels in your body? Is it expensive? And with what frequency do you do such testing?
It's a blood test which tests how much lead is in your blood. I think the normal level is about 3.5? and mine is about 18. It's VERY bad if your number gets over 50. Technically you can even do it on your own at places that do blood tests such as Quest but I ordered through my doctor.

Most doctors don't worry about lead level in adults and until I insisted, my doctor didn't even think it's a thing I need to worry about. You need to retest every 6 months or so if you care. I guess you can technically test every 3 months and any more frequent is not helpful because lead doesn't leave your body that quickly. Lead in your bones would take years to leave but as I said for adults unless your level is over 50, it's just a number unless you are trying to have kids.

I believe without insurance the test was about $120 but my insurance paid.
 
It's a blood test which tests how much lead is in your blood. I think the normal level is about 3.5? and mine is about 18. It's VERY bad if your number gets over 50. Technically you can even do it on your own at places that do blood tests such as Quest but I ordered through my doctor.

Most doctors don't worry about lead level in adults and until I insisted, my doctor didn't even think it's a thing I need to worry about. You need to retest every 6 months or so if you care. I guess you can technically test every 3 months and any more frequent is not helpful because lead doesn't leave your body that quickly. Lead in your bones would take years to leave but as I said for adults unless your level is over 50, it's just a number unless you are trying to have kids.

I believe without insurance the test was about $120 but my insurance paid.
Thanks for this great info! I imagine outdoor ranges would expose you to less lead than indoor, and following the basics like washing hands with cold water after shooting, not touching face or mouth while shooting, and not drinking/eating/smoking while shooting.

Any other basics on avoiding unnecessary lead exposure?

And supposing you wish to decrease lead levels, about how long do you stop shooting until you resume?
 
I went to Reed's many times for the range, purchases and PPT's. My only advice is dont go to the range on friday night or saturday night - very busy with new shooters.

I bought my kimber, glock, and sig from Hank. All transactions went very well. I also used them for PPT selling a rifle to a friend. Prices were reasonable and staff friendly and helpful.

Very happy with Reeds
 
Back
Top Bottom