18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Reloading Economics

Gawernator

🛡️ Range Member
Range Member
Messages
5,108
Is it true that these days reloading popular calibers like 9mm doesn't really save much money anymore? Especially after you consider the time investment. I can see for big rifle rounds it definitely saves you.
 
Is it true that these days reloading popular calibers like 9mm doesn't really save much money anymore? Especially after you consider the time investment. I can see for big rifle rounds it definitely saves you.
according to my buddy he can reload 9mm for about 9-12 cents a round. While the cost is initially high you need to weigh in the space, time, components, and knowledge to start putting something together.
 
according to my buddy he can reload 9mm for about 9-12 cents a round. While the cost is initially high you need to weigh in the space, time, components, and knowledge to start putting something together.
how much time effort though?
 
component prices are way up. primers in particular. powder is way up too

i wont load 9 if the prices are below 24/round. not worth my effort. yes the actual cost is lower, considerably but what's your time worth.

.308 is worth it. 45acp is worth it. 223 is usually worth it. sorta pain in the butt processing IMO

i have 9, 45 and 223 set up on progressives. so when i feel like it i can pop em out at a pretty good pace. 308 i load on my turret. 308 is the one that i will consistently reload. it's pretty easy to process IMO
 
It wasn’t worth it for me. Match rifle ammo is the only place it made sense. That being said I would rather do anything else than sit there and reload.
 
Is it true that these days reloading popular calibers like 9mm doesn't really save much money anymore? Especially after you consider the time investment. I can see for big rifle rounds it definitely saves you.

$321.99 Hodgon TiteGroup - 8lb, so about $30 per 1k rounds or so
1000SPP $60
Brass - Let’s say free
1000 15gr berry’s bullets $140
So let’s say about $250 or so per 1k

Cheaper if you cast of course so not worth it. 💩’s got crazy expensive

UPDATE: with later comment Rusty's comment. It's quite cheaper with some real world pricing available right now
 
Last edited:
according to my buddy he can reload 9mm for about 9-12 cents a round. While the cost is initially high you need to weigh in the space, time, components, and knowledge to start putting something together.
Would like to see your buddy’s math because just the primer and projectile get you past 9 cents.

Cheaper to reload larger calibers- I guess now with a total extortion tax of over 20% for factory ammo, it’s better to just reload smaller calibers too. The largest cost now is powder. It hasn’t stabilized back down but has held at an average of 40 a lb.

Most reload also because it’s a working meditation and they enjoy doing it. If you were to factor in time then reloading for some would be a negative economic task, but joy does come from it especially when you can tailor the load to your specs.
 
component prices are way up. primers in particular. powder is way up too

i wont load 9 if the prices are below 24/round. not worth my effort. yes the actual cost is lower, considerably but what's your time worth.

.308 is worth it. 45acp is worth it. 223 is usually worth it. sorta pain in the butt processing IMO

i have 9, 45 and 223 set up on progressives. so when i feel like it i can pop em out at a pretty good pace. 308 i load on my turret. 308 is the one that i will consistently reload. it's pretty easy to process IMO
.223 is/was if you’re loading heavy stuff or want to weird varmit loads, but mag dumping I could never make it worth my time. .308 I always saved money and got better ammo for my bolt guns.
 
$321.99 Hodgon TiteGroup - 8lb, so about $30 per 1k rounds or so
1000SPP $60
Brass - Let’s say free
1000 15gr berry’s bullets $140
So let’s say about $250 or so per 1k

Cheaper if you cast of course so not worth it. 💩’s got crazy expensive
you are paying way too much for components. 2.2c for 3.8 grains of titegroup, 4 cents for winchester SPP, 9 cents for everglades 124 grain plated can go to 7.5 for the discount "blem" ones. More like 160 per 1000 at todays prices. It does take time though, i load 100 in a little under 20 minutes so maybe 1.5 hours for 1000 but I like doing it. Even with a FFL03 is anyone actually getting 9mm for less than 300/1000 that isn't some F-ed up brand like "scorpion" or privi partisan?
 
you are paying way too much for components. 2.2c for 3.8 grains of titegroup, 4 cents for winchester SPP, 9 cents for everglades 124 grain plated can go to 7.5 for the discount "blem" ones. More like 160 per 1000 at todays prices. It does take time though, i load 100 in a little under 20 minutes so maybe 1.5 hours for 1000 but I like doing it. Even with a FFL03 is anyone actually getting 9mm for less than 300/1000 that isn't some F-ed up brand like "scorpion" or privi partisan?
Show me where you get those prices total to your door.….and it’s 4.8..

With ffl03 I’m at 27 cents to my door
 
4.8 what?
looks like you're right and with a lighter load.

Everglades has em even cheaper for 8.5c if you buy bulk
Titegroup can get down to 3.1 it looks like. I was reading their load data which looks very high in the real world
Not sure about SPP for that cheap delivered with hazmat though

Adding the links here:

Primers $40 per 1k

Everglades 124gr 9mm - $85 per 1k

Powder Titegroup - $20 per 1k if @8lb 3.8gr

so 15.5 cents

That is worth it to me. I don't really consider time when I personally reload. I find it therapudic to do a few hundres while listening to some old school AC/DC
 
Last edited:
9mm math
Projectiles are 7-10 cents depending on weight, type and quality, yes you can easily pay more but that is what I pay for competition style loads
Powder 3 cents per
Primers are about 5 cents
Brass is negligible as you are reusing multiple times

That puts you about 15-18 cents per round or $150 -$180/1000 rounds

All these numbers require purchasing in bulk. I am still loading off of supplies I bought last black Friday and with those supplies I am loading 147gr Hi-Tek coated 9mm for $135/1000.

The biggest benefit for me though is being able to control my loads.

If you are shooting a box a couple of times a month then no reloading is probably not for you. I easily shoot 1k a month in 9mm so even the smallest savings adds up quickly.

Oh, and as for time. On a Dillon 750, it takes me about 90 minutes to load 1000 rounds. Not a huge time investment.
 
Check Miwall, I buy as much stuff as possible at a time to save on the hazmat, like in this shopping cart you got 5 cents primers and at 4 grains of titegroup you get 1750 rounds per lb, at 340 per 8 lbs that's 2.4 cents. add that to the 9 cent everglades you are at the ~16 cents. Go with the discount everglades you are at 13.5. You can get wayy cheaper primers than winchester though, they have magtech for 172.50 so like 3.8 cents if you are sharing the hazmat with powder or more primers. A round you make with titegroup, everglades and winchester primers is a good round that you can craft for your gun, the 270 dollar 9mm is some weird ass brand that may or may not work well in all your guns depending on what you have.

1790571373607.webp
 
$321.99 Hodgon TiteGroup - 8lb, so about $30 per 1k rounds or so
1000SPP $60
Brass - Let’s say free
1000 15gr berry’s bullets $140
So let’s say about $250 or so per 1k

Cheaper if you cast of course so not worth it. 💩’s got crazy expensive
$250? Crazy because I got steel case for like $0.22 a round and $0.27 for new brass
 
I think whether or not it's worth it depends on what you plan to get out of it, both as a hobby and the actual rounds you produce. I reload 9mm at around 10-12 cpr, but that's factory second primers, blem/pulled projectiles, low-charge titegroup and range brass. It's really just blaster ammo I use for shooting at 5-15 yards. Im able to keep everything in a 5" bull at 10 yards with irons out of an XD9 (not sure if that means anything) but for that purpose its great!

As an aside, I cry a little in the inside when people sweep all their brass past the firing line when they're done shooting at the (indoor) range. Maybe I'm a filthy brass goblin but I can't help but think "that's free money you're just sweeping away!" Haha
 
I think whether or not it's worth it depends on what you plan to get out of it, both as a hobby and the actual rounds you produce. I reload 9mm at around 10-12 cpr, but that's factory second primers, blem/pulled projectiles, low-charge titegroup and range brass. It's really just blaster ammo I use for shooting at 5-15 yards. Im able to keep everything in a 5" bull at 10 yards with irons out of an XD9 (not sure if that means anything) but for that purpose its great!

As an aside, I cry a little in the inside when people sweep all their brass past the firing line when they're done shooting at the (indoor) range. Maybe I'm a filthy brass goblin but I can't help but think "that's free money you're just sweeping away!" Haha
How do you catch your brass at an indoor range? I’ve been crying too because I’ve easily shot a few thousand this year and my dad reloads
 
Back
Top Bottom