18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

River city gun exchange spam

It was my understanding that an "undertermined" status means that the firearm can be legally released to the purchaser, correct?

If that is correct, and RCGE elects not release on an Undetermined because of liability concerns, then they should eat the cost of DROSing it back to the seller when they choose not to release it.

The point of the FFL conducting a DROS is compliance with government regulations. If the FFL would be compliant in releasing on an Undetermined, but elects not to because of legal liability concerns, then they should be paying the costs associated with that decision. The buyer has done their part, and the government hasn't said they can't have it. Only the FFL is deciding not to let them have it. So...the FFL should pay for the return DROS to the seller.

Seems simple, but that again assumes that I am correct about Undetermined status.
 
So, a current COE negates the background check on 4473 processing by being pre-approved? You apply for a purchase and with the COE it's instantly approved. Does the 01 FFL still get the DROS fee? PAX
No, the best analogy is that it's like pre check. You still have to dros but if you keep getting flagged as undetermined, getting a COE would presumably help remedy that.
 
No, the best analogy is that it's like pre check. You still have to dros but if you keep getting flagged as undetermined, getting a COE would presumably help remedy that.
The DOJ said an instant BG check would clear up the delays too. I did one through my PD, then transferred a gun a week later to no avail, still delayed. So, I'm not trusting anything they (DOJ) say. Something is screwed up with the system and me. Years ago, a transfer would go through, every now and again I'd get a delay then a week or 2 later a release before the 30 days. I just live with it. PAX

PS, the 10-day cooling off period gets exasperated by the 30-day undetermined, which just pisses you off.
 
Last edited:
The DOJ said an instant BG check would clear up the delays too. I did one through my PD, then transferred a gun a week later to no avail, still delayed. So, I'm not trusting anything they (DOJ) say. Something is screwed up with the system and me. Years ago, a transfer would go through, every now and again I'd get a delay then a week or 2 later a release before the 30 days. I just live with it. PAX

PS, the 10-day cooling off period gets exasperated by the 30-day undetermined, which just pisses you off.
Yeah that definitely sucks, ten days is already torture
 
The really worst instances were whin I got delays back-to-back then undetermines during the 1 in 30 fiasco. I had 2 Russians (from Huston & Portland) and a Paratrooper (from Denver) SKSs show up at my LGS weeks apart They held them, no storage fees and processed as they could. It took over 4 months to get 3 rifles DROSd. That's how you take care of your people , not take advantage of them. PAX
 
The really worst instances were whin I got delays back-to-back then undetermines during the 1 in 30 fiasco. I had 2 Russians (from Huston & Portland) and a Paratrooper (from Denver) SKSs show up at my LGS weeks apart They held them, no storage fees and processed as they could. It took over 4 months to get 3 rifles DROSd. That's how you take care of your people , not take advantage of them. PAX
I don't think you can say its taking advantage of people, You have to remember those guns take up space in a gun room and some stores like river city have a whole lot of guns, they do a lot of C&R stuff.
 
I don't think you can say its taking advantage of people, You have to remember those guns take up space in a gun room and some stores like river city have a whole lot of guns, they do a lot of C&R stuff.

Yes I can and yes I will. None of my guys have ever charged me storage for a delay turned undetermined. If you don't mind paying storage, pay it. Do binnis with who you want, matters not to me if they get into your wallet. PAX
 
Yes I can and yes I will. None of my guys have ever charged me storage for a delay turned undetermined. If you don't mind paying storage, pay it. Do binnis with who you want, matters not to me if they get into your wallet. PAX
I like your FFLs policy, but River City does a LOT of business and they aren't THAT big. They could be one of the largest FFLs, by volume in the region. I know people from SFBA and North Bay go all the way over there.
 
I like your FFLs policy, but River City does a LOT of business and they aren't THAT big. They could be one of the largest FFLs, by volume in the region. I know people from SFBA and North Bay go all the way over there.
As long as you're satisfied with an FFL's service and fees, that's what counts. My #1 guy ruined me for expectations. He was home based and would hold a 4473 until I got 5 weapons to process (if I asked him to wait), then only charge me a flat rate of $25 bucks to receive and process. That's how you end up with 50 SKSs. But as he got older and more forgetful, he was afraid he'd make a mistake, it was challenging for him to keep abreast of the consistent change in regs, so in 2018 he didn't renew his ticket. The DOJ & ATF were very helpful in helping him wind down. The fellas I've been using since are great (they've been in business for 50 years), but it's been hard to get used to the receiving fee$, a hunnerd bucks for the first gun. Fortunately, I'm in the winding down mode and mainly chasing collector grade items as they pop up. PAX
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom