18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Route 66 range meet up for drills

That's what I do. I shoot USPSA for the competition and to test/develop my skills and I shoot IDPA to train my EDC.

IDPA has fewer matches than USPSA so it's nice to bring the speed/accuracy to IDPA with your EDC despite some differences in the way the game is played.

I will say however that I do like the gun divisions more in IDPA, but other than that I lean more USPSA.

I was looking forward to trying IDPA for the first time this Sunday at Prado but it looks like the match got cancelled due to low registration. Hopefully that’s not a bad sign for future IDPA matches there
 
Yeah same here. Missed the last 2 IDPA matches there due health reasons. Seems that Oh Shoot will prioritize USPSA since they took over IDPA at Prado.
 
I was looking forward to trying IDPA for the first time this Sunday at Prado but it looks like the match got cancelled due to low registration. Hopefully that’s not a bad sign for future IDPA matches there
Damn really? I forgot their frequency of matches but it’s like twice a month and not every weekend like USPSA. There was nearly a full roster at the last event iirc
 
Damn really? I forgot their frequency of matches but it’s like twice a month and not every weekend like USPSA. There was nearly a full roster at the last event iirc

Yep, next match won't take place until 9/13, hopefully that one doesn't get cancelled as well
 
I was looking forward to trying IDPA for the first time this Sunday at Prado but it looks like the match got cancelled due to low registration. Hopefully that’s not a bad sign for future IDPA matches there
This is the first instance I've seen OhShoot cancel an IDPA match to favor USPSA which has more demand. I know they get a lot of participants for USPSA and hosting local tournaments with sponsors.

Hoping this is a one-time thing and not a trend. Otherwise, IDPA matches will likely get reduced to once a month.
 
This is the first instance I've seen OhShoot cancel an IDPA match to favor USPSA which has more demand. I know they get a lot of participants for USPSA and hosting local tournaments with sponsors.

Hoping this is a one-time thing and not a trend. Otherwise, IDPA matches will likely get reduced to once a month.
Oh Shoot only started IDPA matches at Prado in July. The first Oh Shoot IDPA match was 7/12, the 8/9 match was only their 3rd so not a good start IMO. Hoping IDPA at Prado doesn't completely disappear.
 
Oh Shoot only started IDPA matches at Prado in July. The first Oh Shoot IDPA match was 7/12, the 8/9 match was only their 3rd so not a good start IMO. Hoping IDPA at Prado doesn't completely disappear.

Right, to clarify: they’ve been having IDPA for a long time before but the previous org was run by a MD who retired (Leif).

Oh Shoot took it over in July and has only started under the Oh Shoot name as of 07/12 with a new MD and staff
 
That was fun! Enjoyed my first time shooting NRG. Was feeling more comfortable towards the later stages. Now I need to work on getting fewer Mikes.
 
I pulled out of SWPL for tomorrow. I wasn't doing so well in my all classifier match today and the heat was too much for me. Hoping to attend another NRG match in the next week or two if the temps go down a bit 🤞
 
It's not looking good as far as temps going down the next two weeks, unfortunately.
 
Sharing my take... I started with IDPA at Prado, but after a few years I moved completely over to USPSA.

Honestly, I got tired of the vibe in some squads and with some ROs. Squad runs also felt painfully slow, even with fewer rounds and targets, mostly because of all the nitpicking over IDPA’s “defensive” rules. And some of those artificial rules... ugh. “Defensive Pistol”? Nah, not really.

That said, moving to USPSA and Steel Challenge helped me ramp up much faster in marksmanship at speed.
 
Did my second NRG shoot today. Overall, happy with improving on my results from last week. Weather was definitely better and we were done after noon instead of 2pm like last week.

Last week, I shot 49% Alphas, 33% Charlies, 7% Deltas, 9% Mikes, and 3% NS.
This week, 80% Alphas, 14% Charlies, 3% Deltas, 2% Mikes, and 1% NS.

And with slightly quicker times overall. Positives but plenty to work on.
 
Last edited:
Did my second NRG shoot today. Overall, happy with improving on my results from last week. Weather was definitely better and we were done after noon instead of 2pm like last week.

Today was as good as it gets: quick, not as hot as expected, and a nice casual environment. Our squad finished up at around 12:30 or so, which is the earliest I remember being done by
 
Looks like next weekend's weather might be better. Unfortunately, not going to be in town.
 
Back
Top Bottom