18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question S&W Is Keeping My Revolver

Odd that they said that wasn't repairable.

You could fill out the no longer in possession but there's no point. It would be the same as if you sold it elsewhere. DOJ doesn't keep track of when people get rid of guns, only when they acquire through an ffl.
I did just in case some bonehead in Springfield walked out the back door with it and managed to do some harm.
 
I only buy S&W revolvers that are over 50 years old. They dont make them as good as they used to.
Theres been a steady stream of GC complaints since S&W started cost cutting in earnest around the mid 80s.
I remember my dad and uncles complaining about issued S&Ws in the 70s to their autoloader change early/mid 80s.

When the fixed sight, crap finish, utility models start slipping in basic core functional quality and "not gun guys" notice then problems are not only obvious but notable.
 
I'm glad people are starting to see how bad/common the canted barrel issue is, but to be fair to S&W, this particular issue is popping up all over particularly in Rugers and sometimes Colts.

On a side note, I was checking out a brand new S&W 986 Performance Center, and the dovetailed front sight fell off. Like barely even touching it caused it to fall of the gun. Gravity alone was nearly enough to remove it. The "Performance Center" branding is mostly a joke these days, but even a non-PC Smith shouldn't be this bad.
 
I did just in case some bonehead in Springfield walked out the back door with it and managed to do some harm.
As long as you have the proper documentation that it was sent to S&W for repair and S&W sent you documentation of them keeping the revolver and sending you a new revolver, you are off the hook. I wouldn't be at all concerned.
 
If everybody keeps talking about the level of S&W's Quality Control, I'll never be able to save up enough money to buy a lightly used 1960s very early 70s four-inch Combat Masterpiece.
 
It’s definitely a hit and miss. I own firearms from the top manufacturers and don’t have any problems. I would only purchase firearms from the top manufacturers and if you have a problem or should an issue arise with the firearm. The manufacturer will make it right and/or replace the firearm at no cost.
 
I had a new 8" Anaconda shipped to my local Sportsman's from their warehouse, and sure enough it had a significantly canted and off-centered barrel. This is the 2nd recent Colt to have this issue sent to me. I previously mentioned that my first Python had a canted barrel, so I cancelled the purchase and had another one shipped to the store, which thankfully turned out to be perfect.

Well I cancelled this Anaconda and am once again having a 2nd one shipped to the store. Really hoping that the next one is actually mounted on straight.

So PSA here, please check barrel alignment thoroughly on ALL new revolvers. This issue is affecting a significant amount of revolvers from every manufacturer. The worst mounted barrel I've seen in person yet was on a Ruger SP101.
 
I only buy S&W revolvers that are over 50 years old. They dont make them as good as they used to.
S&W couldn’t stay in business if they made them like they did 50 years ago.

The skilled hand labor and all tool steel parts/components would make them unobtainium to most.

I agree with your sentiments though, those old world hand crafted S&W’s are jems. If you have one, hold on to it.
 
S&W couldn’t stay in business if they made them like they did 50 years ago.

The skilled hand labor and all tool steel parts/components would make them unobtainium to most.

I agree with your sentiments though, those old world hand crafted S&W’s are jems. If you have one, hold on to it.
Even with modern manufacturing, they are still too expensive for me. I like the old ones because they are well made and more affordable, but I go after the more affordable models like the 10 and 36. But if I ever start reloading .44 I'm getting a 29.
 
I’ve had a 642 for about 15 years that was a current manufacture when I got it and it’s been fine through a few thousand rounds. Got a new model 69 a few months back and it’s been okay through 250 rounds but I was a little iffy on the amount of cylinder play when it was brand new in the box. Don’t think it’s enough to be a concern or warrant a return but it concerns me about how it’s going to hold up in the long run.
 
Back
Top Bottom