caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

San Mateo CCW Interview this Thurs - Advice?

Discuss9787

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
20
My CCW interview is this Thurs. What should I expect them to ask? Any advice on what to say? Would really appreciate knowing any trick questions or what to say if they ask why do you want a CCW.
 
Is this your interview with the Sheriff's Office? My CCW is also San Mateo County. Interview with the San Mateo Sheriff's Office was really easy. Mine was via zoom with some random guy (not the Sheriff). He basically just confirmed the info on the application. Name, Where I lived and for how long, etc. Ask about any info not disclosed on the application. Confirmed the guns. Actually no big deal at all. He asked me "Tell me a little about your self". I answered with just the basics. "I was born and raised in Redwood City, my kids all live in Redwood City. Married for 37 years to the same woman. Went to Woodside High and San Mateo Community College. Currently working at "" in Sunnyvale and have been in that industry for 35 years". I think that was about it. I had a arrest with no conviction from 20+ years ago disclosed on my application and he did not ask any questions about that. I would advise to keep you answers short and try not to expand much. Just the facts.

The Psych Evaluation is MUCH more intrusive. Also via Zoom and you have to keep your camera on the entire time. 300 or so questionaire about everything from any drug use, to anger, to how would you do this or that. I disclosed the arrest and she asked about that. Funny at the beginning of the interview she said "I want you to remember 3 words and I will ask you to recite them back to me. Apple, Pen, Car". So being a good student I wrote them down. She immediately yelled at me "I didn't say write them down why did you do that". I told her you said "remember them" and you did NOT say do not write them down".

Went through it and passed.
 
Last edited:
My CCW interview is this Thurs. What should I expect them to ask? Any advice on what to say? Would really appreciate knowing any trick questions or what to say if they ask why do you want a CCW.
In my interview the administration officer had a full print out of my application, as did I have my own copy, and we literally just read through it word for word. I was given the opportunity to ask questions and I was also asked questions about my application. I explained what they asked for and mostly was honest about everything I put on my application. They’re looking for anything you missed by accident or attempting to lie about I guess. Went smooth. Immediately got the go ahead to do 16 hour initial course and scheduled live scan finger prints.
 
Is this your interview with the Sheriff's Office? My CCW is also San Mateo County. Interview with the San Mateo Sheriff's Office was really easy. Mine was via zoom with some random guy (not the Sheriff). He basically just confirmed the info on the application. Name, Where I lived and for how long, etc. Ask about any info not disclosed on the application. Confirmed the guns. Actually no big deal at all. He asked me "Tell me a little about your self". I answered with just the basics. "I was born and raised in Redwood City, my kids all live in Redwood City. Married for 37 years to the same woman. Went to Woodside High and San Mateo Community College. Currently working at "" in Sunnyvale and have been in that industry for 35 years". I think that was about it. I had a arrest with no conviction from 20+ years ago disclosed on my application and he did not ask any questions about that. I would advise to keep you answers short and try not to expand much. Just the facts.

The Psych Evaluation is MUCH more intrusive. Also via Zoom and you have to keep your camera on the entire time. 300 or so questionaire about everything from any drug use, to anger, to how would you do this or that. I disclosed the arrest and she asked about that. Funny at the beginning of the interview she said "I want you to remember 3 words and I will ask you to recite them back to me. Apple, Pen, Car". So being a good student I wrote them down. She immediately yelled at me "I didn't say write them down why did you do that". I told her you said "remember them" and you do NOT Say I could not write them down".

Went through it and passed.

Yes, at the Redwood City office, in person. Good to know the interview isn't difficult. If it was done via Zoom, was it years ago?

Did you feel the psych eval was just looking for "gatcha" moments or trick questions?
 
Yes, at the Redwood City office, in person. Good to know the interview isn't difficult. If it was done via Zoom, was it years ago?

Did you feel the psych eval was just looking for "gatcha" moments or trick questions?
No I think the gal doing the eval was overworked with a several of them per day. She seemed very by the book. For example on the drug use questions I mentioned drug use 20 years ago as it was the reason for the arrest. She asked "So tell me about that and what lead you to it and to quit". I did not get the sense she was trying to trip me up. I think me writing down those 3 words just caught her off guard.

My initial Zoom was in March 2024 for initial 2 years then renewed in March of 2026
 
Back
Top Bottom