18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Santa Monica Pier visit

Crime reporting is down. Many don't bother anymore due to lax enforcement and liberal DA's.
Was there less crime in the 80’s and 90’s compared to now? Curious about your opinion, back then I remember gang wars and open shooting, stabbing and robberies rampant all around CA.
 
Was there less crime in the 80’s and 90’s compared to now? Curious about your opinion, back then I remember gang wars and open shooting, stabbing and robberies rampant all around CA.
Don't know. It was pretty bad in the 1990's. I reported several attempted breakins to my business there.

About 1/2 the time LAPD wouldn't even show up even though Van Nuys division (largest in the SFV) was only 3 blocks away.

After a while I didn't bother calling them. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I doubt it's improved as thousands including me solved that problem.

We Escaped From LA. Best decision of my life.
 
There has been a downwards trend of crime for a long time now, removal of lead from gas and paint was a big improvement for the world
 
there is indisputably a massive drop in shootings/violent crime in LA compared to the late 80's mid 90's. the gang truce went into effect hypothetically 92, but really took hold mid late 90's. there was a massive drop in gunshot wounds at the various hospitals around LA. indisputable. we STILL dont see shootings/stabbings very much. slight uptick after covid, but it's still pretty uncommon. frankly about 1/3 are accidental self inflicted. LA for all the hype, is actually pretty tame vis a vis shootings/stabbings. I can tell you that for a fact as someone on the "inside" of trauma care in LA. whatever you may think/fear. the reality is we dont see many stabbings or shootings at all in LA. very few. especially given the size of the population. you are MUCH more likely to get hit by a car. that is definitely a "sport" in LA.
 
Back
Top Bottom