18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Questions Selling a Lower

Not sure of something ask? Nothing here is legal advice only opinion

SfGiants_fan1

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
2026 2 25+ 2 Top
Messages
198
Classified ads
3
Hey everyone, I was thinking about picking up a full rifle but don’t really need the lower. If I sold the lower on tacswap or something to an out of state buyer does that count towards my PPT count? I know we can only do 5 PPTs in a year if I’m not mistaken. I believe I’m maxed out already.
 
One. The state does NOT keep track of your PPTs as a function of reality.
Two it’s 6 Handgun transfers and 50 overall firearm transfers (I think anyways)
Three there is no FEDERAL limit
So transfer away. Just be aware of whatever the transfer rules are in the destination state. Some states the shipping has to be FFL to FFL. Others you can just box it up and fed ex it yourself
 
It's 5 and 50, and the CA DOJ does keep track.
FedEx and UPS don't ship guns from a non-FFL anymore.
Usps still allows shipping of long guns by individuals.
CA DOJ does not track out of state transfers
 
Yeah I agree it would be very simple to run a query in their database to see how many transactions you have been a seller in. However, if you ship a firearm out of state, the DOJ would not know unless they are surveilling you for some reason. However, that is pretty unlikely and it would be a pretty expensive case to do that because you went over 5 transactions and one was sending a gun out of state.
 
It's 5 and 50, and the CA DOJ does keep track.
FedEx and UPS don't ship guns from a non-FFL anymore.
Usps still allows shipping of long guns by individuals.
CA DOJ does not track out of state transfers
Interesting. Because I’ve pretty routinely busted the 5 the last several years without any seeming consequence. I’m mean not egregiously but pretty sure I’ve been more like 7 or 8. No issues.

Ah. Didn’t know about FedEx cause post office is around corner from me and that’s who I use. No one even asks me what’s in the box. I drop off already labeled.
 
Last edited:
It's 5 and 50, and the CA DOJ does keep track.
FedEx and UPS don't ship guns from a non-FFL anymore.
Usps still allows shipping of long guns by individuals.
CA DOJ does not track out of state transfers
It's 5 and 50. The CA DOJ does not keep track unless you buy like 50 glocks to sell them individually. You'll know if you are on their radar as you will receive a cease and desist order by mail.
 
Back
Top Bottom