18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Shield X on roster now!

Ordered a Shield X last week. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable carry than my G19, but a better shooter and more capacity than my G43. Been wanting a G48 for a while, but the off-roster prices are too much for something used. Probably won’t have it in hand for another 2 weeks, but the reviews are looking pretty solid.

I’ll add the Shield X and my BG 2.0 to my permit as soon as I’m running them both well. Very similar to the G19/G43, just need to imprint the thumb safety into muscle memory. Even if I think it’s off, I want to sweep it down at draw, just to avoid any surprises..
 
Ordered a Shield X last week. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable carry than my G19, but a better shooter and more capacity than my G43. Been wanting a G48 for a while, but the off-roster prices are too much for something used. Probably won’t have it in hand for another 2 weeks, but the reviews are looking pretty solid.

I’ll add the Shield X and my BG 2.0 to my permit as soon as I’m running them both well. Very similar to the G19/G43, just need to imprint the thumb safety into muscle memory. Even if I think it’s off, I want to sweep it down at draw, just to avoid any surprises..
I have both, and the safety does not get in the way, and I usually carry it with the safety off. I only use it while holstering.
 
Ordered a Shield X last week. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable carry than my G19, but a better shooter and more capacity than my G43. Been wanting a G48 for a while, but the off-roster prices are too much for something used. Probably won’t have it in hand for another 2 weeks, but the reviews are looking pretty solid.

I’ll add the Shield X and my BG 2.0 to my permit as soon as I’m running them both well. Very similar to the G19/G43, just need to imprint the thumb safety into muscle memory. Even if I think it’s off, I want to sweep it down at draw, just to avoid any surprises..
I always leave the Shield safety off, nice that it's flush fit and not in the way
 
Finally got a chance to shoot the Shield X today. Ran out of daylight at 150-160 rounds, all 115g fmj. Goal today was just shoot it and see if it works, and it does. No jams, nothing except functional every time I pulled the trigger.

I might swap out the sights, I like the 3 dot style better, I’ll look into just a rear sight if possible, the front is good. They were actually decent at first but the fading sunlight brought out their bad side. Verified that with another pistol I brought with 3 dot tritium sights, they were much better in those conditions.

Since I was on a tight schedule I didn’t even bring any targets, just picked a spot and shot. Accuracy seems solid but I won’t really know until the next trip.

The slide lock/release wasn’t a problem at all, when loaded it works good enough. Still needs more shooting, but it’s already smoothing out. I don’t think a brand new S&W feels good until 200-300 rounds, based on my BG 2.0 and this one, so not a lot of experience, but the two I have are consistent with each other.
 
I’m trying to find a spare slide release to modify, but CA has made it a giant PITA to buy anything mail order..

I’d like the slide release to work easier, similar to all the other pistols I own. Looking closely at the working surface explains the issue, it’s very crudely made. Stoning it even kind of smooth should be a big improvement, but I’d really like to work on it with a backup in hand just in case I get it wrong..

I’ll keep working on it until it’s good..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6988.webp
    IMG_6988.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
I’m trying to find a spare slide release to modify, but CA has made it a giant PITA to buy anything mail order..

I’d like the slide release to work easier, similar to all the other pistols I own. Looking closely at the working surface explains the issue, it’s very crudely made. Stoning it even kind of smooth should be a big improvement, but I’d really like to work on it with a backup in hand just in case I get it wrong..

I’ll keep working on it until it’s good..
It’s just a slide stop on the shield. It’s not designed as a release. Sling shot the slide. Manuals have always referred to it as a stop not a release.

Page 12 and 22.

 
Appreciate the information!

I’ve read that, but since it’s designed exactly like others that call it a release, and I want the option to use it either way, I’m willing to work on it a bit to see if it’s doable.

My Bodyguard 2.0 has the same verbiage in the manual, after nearly 500 rounds the slide stop/release easily works either way. The difference is the slide release on my Shield X is very poorly manufactured, it’s very rough, so a little smoother should help a lot.
 
Appreciate the information!

I’ve read that, but since it’s designed exactly like others that call it a release, and I want the option to use it either way, I’m willing to work on it a bit to see if it’s doable.

My Bodyguard 2.0 has the same verbiage in the manual, after nearly 500 rounds the slide stop/release easily works either way. The difference is the slide release on my Shield X is very poorly manufactured, it’s very rough, so a little smoother should help a lot.
Get some, I just sling shot all my pistols. 1911’s and 92’s maybe I’ll hit the stop but all the plastic stuff has never worked well so I retrained to sling shot and not worry about missing or it being stiff.
 
Looking at the fit of the slide “stop” (said with a touch of sarcasm, lol) I noticed that it was digging into the frame a little bit under the thumb release. I didn’t want to pull everything apart tonight, so I took a small square of #400 sandpaper and slid it under the thumb release and worked it for a few minutes. The deburring made a noticeable difference, it’s still a little difficult to release the slide, but now it’s consistently smoother and doesn’t just refuse to move. Also used the tip of a #2000 diamond hone to polish the high points off of the release lever where it interacts with the slide.

I’m still going to buy a replacement slide lever, I’ve got one other thought I’d like to try, but it’s maybe a part destroying thing so need to do it on a spare..IMG_6990.webp
 
The shield X is so reliable it’s almost boring. Put another 250 rounds through it today, no malfunction of any kind so far. Tried 2 brands of 115 FMJ and a few mags of sig 124 HP. Need to find some 147. The feel has smoothed out nicely, and the touch up I did to the slide release (stop?) got it working good enough for me.
 
The shield X is so reliable it’s almost boring. Put another 250 rounds through it today, no malfunction of any kind so far. Tried 2 brands of 115 FMJ and a few mags of sig 124 HP. Need to find some 147. The feel has smoothed out nicely, and the touch up I did to the slide release (stop?) got it working good enough for me.
You'd prefer it be less reliable?
 
You'd prefer it be less reliable?
Nope, it’s reliability is just right!

The slide stop/release is the only thing that’s keeping me from calling it a perfect CCW, and that’s getting better with every box of ammo. Otherwise it’s a very good gun, I’d recommend it to anyone looking for something in its size range.
 
Back
Top Bottom