- Messages
- 7
- Classified ads
- 1
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
I have an old 870 Remington magnum that I received as a gift. It's got a lot of surface rust and is pretty worn out. My plan was to get it ceramic coated and add modern furniture. However, is there any reason I should just restore it and clean up the surface instead?
View attachment 9918
vangcomp.com
When i make decisions like this, i consider the cost. Is it cheaper to buy a new gun or is it cheaper to buy new furniture and get it painted? I am currently debating sizing down my remington 870. I have a 28" barreled model that id like to turn into a home defense version. I thought it wouldnt be too expensive to buy a shorter barrel but they range from 150 to 350. I might just cut the 28" barrel i have as that would be the cheapest way to go instead of spending the amount it would take to buy a new one.I have an old 870 Remington magnum that I received as a gift. It's got a lot of surface rust and is pretty worn out. My plan was to get it ceramic coated and add modern furniture. However, is there any reason I should just restore it and clean up the surface instead?
View attachment 9918
Not really unless that's just something you want to do. Old 870s are cheap and dime a dozen so you aren't losing any inherent value by modernizing. To do it right you'll probably spend more than the shotgun is worth, but the end result will be a better product than any current offering on the market at a comparable level. That's my 2 cents anyway.However, is there any reason I should just restore it and clean up the surface instead?
Those are the manufacture codes that show the inspector, date of manufacture and assembly. According to yours being XJ it was manufactured in December of 1962. Since it's a pre-63 barrel per Remington's recommendation I wouldn't use steel shot in it. Lead will be just fine.
Thanks, everyone. There's some sentimental value, so I might end up spending a bit of money on it. Also, what do these marks mean?
I'd like to add, that being a classic I would probably consider restoring instead of modernizing. Deep clean and get someone to do a nice refinish on the receiver, same for the wood. As long as it isn't too dried out/cracked/soaked with oil, with some sanding and refinishing you could really get it looking nice again. Just add an extended mag tube to it for extra capacity and you've a sweet old 12ga. banger.
Thanks, everyone. There's some sentimental value, so I might end up spending a bit of money on it. Also, what do these marks mean?
Yea it looks like i'm going to see if i can restore it, thanks for all the info ill post photos after the restoration.I'd like to add, that being a classic I would probably consider restoring instead of modernizing. Deep clean and get someone to do a nice refinish on the receiver, same for the wood. As long as it isn't too dried out/cracked/soaked with oil, with some sanding and refinishing you could really get it looking nice again. Just add an extended mag tube to it for extra capacity and you've a sweet old 12ga. banger.
Get a Mossberg 590 or a police trade-in 870 from Atlantic Arms if you want a budget platform to modernize. The new RemArms 870s aren't worth a damn.
Glad I could help. Restoration is probably the better choice for sentimental reasons as well. Modern tactical shotguns are cheap and readily available. Keep the family heirloom as it is, just bring it back to life so you can preserve it for years to come.Yea it looks like i'm going to see if i can restore it, thanks for all the info ill post photos after the restoration.
Modern tactical shotguns are a dime a dozen.I have an old 870 Remington magnum that I received as a gift. It's got a lot of surface rust and is pretty worn out. My plan was to get it ceramic coated and add modern furniture. However, is there any reason I should just restore it and clean up the surface instead?
View attachment 9918
Thanks guys I don't usual work on older gun so I've never had to deal with rust and wear. Im usually building race guns or Gucci guns so all this is new to me.
I've heard a lot of complaints about 870s from past 20 years of production. But I have from around 2012 and it's worked fine since day one. I've shot it a lot, taken pheasant with it. 100% trust it.Honestly that's not even that rusty, my first duck gun was an 870 and it looked like that after the first season (not saying thats a good thing that I didn't oil it....). But unless the rust has actually gone below the surface it will scrub off with a little elbow grease. And if it has gone below the surface you don't want to shoot it. So basically, don't cerakote it either way. I also wouldn't use it for anything more than a fun range toy, while they were made better back then than they are now, it's a 60 year old gun that was likely neglected. It's a good gun though those old 870s are why they have a good reputation, the past 20 years of 870s has been depressing and should be avoided. I've had more misfires and jams in my 2008 870 than all my semi autos combined.
I've heard a lot of complaints about 870s from past 20 years of production. But I have from around 2012 and it's worked fine since day one. I've shot it a lot, taken pheasant with it. 100% trust it.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!