18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Sig Sauer P220 mag .45 acp hollow point minor issue

SIG4life

Member
Messages
49
I have always had issues with my single stack 8rd P220 mags using Hornady XTP hollow points, the issue I am having is the hollow points I am using always get stuck/snags inside the mags. It appears that the hollow points are quite a bit taller/pointy than the ball ammo, the 8rd mags feed all the ball ammo I use reliably. Can anyone possibly POINT:ROFLMAO: me in the right direction of a less pointy/tall .45 acp hollow point ammo? TIA
 
Have you tried using different mags? You can also try bending the feed lips a bit to help get the rounds pointed up a little bit to help line them up better with the feed ramp
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Have you tried using different mags? You can also try bending the feed lips a bit to help get the rounds pointed up a little bit to help line them up better with the feed ramp
Yea my 10 rd mags run the XTP better but have the snagging issues if I load more than 9 rds in it, I will try to get my hands on some Winchester HP like Funjeff suggests and see if its just the tallness of the XTP. Thanks SteamedHams for the reply!
I've never had any issues with Winchester HP in my P220. Never tried Hornady, but maybe try polishing feed ramp.
Will take a look into the Winchester HP, I believe it’s a slight design flaw with the OEM SIG mags with the feed lips that don’t accept some HPs. Thanks Funjeff for the reply!

More suggestions welcomed!
 
Last edited:
I’ve had a SIG P220 Carry in my nightstand for over 10 years with either Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HSTs in the magazines, and I’ve never had a problem with either of them. I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with any ammo in my P220 mags. If the cartridges you’re using aren’t too long for the magazines, I would try polishing your feed ramp a bit.

 
I’ve had a SIG P220 Carry in my nightstand for over 10 years with either Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HSTs in the magazines, and I’ve never had a problem with either of them. I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with any ammo in my P220 mags. If the cartridges you’re using aren’t too long for the magazines, I would try polishing your feed ramp a bit.

Thanks Hit Factor for the reply! I forgot to say the feed ramp has been polished, I have no feeding issues on the chamber, just the mag/ammo issue, might be mags and might be type of HP ammo
 
If any gun in the year 2025 won't reliably feed hollow point ammunition from a major manufacturer, dump that gun immediately. There should be no feed ramp polishing necessary on a modern duty firearm.
 
Thanks Hit Factor for the reply! I forgot to say the feed ramp has been polished, I have no feeding issues on the chamber, just the mag/ammo issue, might be mags and might be type of HP ammo
I don’t know then. Does it happen with all your mags or just one in particular? Is it the first or second round only, or does the number of rounds in the mag not matter? Have you ever changed the springs in your mags? One way to find out if it might be a problem with your springs is to load only 4 rounds into each magazine and see if you have the same feeding problems.

If it makes you feel any better, Google “Hornady xtp feeding problems” and you’ll see that you’re apparently not the only one who has had problems with the XTPs.
 
I used XTP in other calibers and noticed it has that more conical shape rather than the typical dome shape of the ball. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: pressed send by accident

I prefer HST, it has the dome shape of ball. In .380 I used XTP instead of HST because in that caliber it seemed to test better and I couldn’t find HST for a good price.
 
Last edited:
... Hornady XTP ... It appears that the hollow points are quite a bit taller/pointy than the ball ammo,
Go to the SAAMI web site, and pull up the spec for 45ACP. Grab your calipers, and measure how big the Hornady rounds are. It would surprise me if Hornady is outside the spec, but lots of companies in the gun industry are run by cowboys.

Can anyone possibly POINT:ROFLMAO: me in the right direction of a less pointy/tall .45 acp hollow point ammo? TIA
I use Speer Gold Dot in my 45, but it isn't a P220, it's a USP. I know they also feed perfectly in the neighbor's 1911s. I've also tried Winchester Ranger, same result. YMMV.

If any gun in the year 2025 won't reliably feed hollow point ammunition from a major manufacturer, dump that gun immediately. There should be no feed ramp polishing necessary on a modern duty firearm.
The P220 is a 50 year old design (which is why it is known as the P75 in Switzerland). It was intended as a law enforcement and military pistol (the successor to the P210 a.k.a. P49), meaning for ball ammo. Hornady is not a major manufacturer.
 
If any gun in the year 2025 won't reliably feed hollow point ammunition from a major manufacturer, dump that gun immediately. There should be no feed ramp polishing necessary on a modern duty firearm.
True, but i believe its the mags/hp ammo not being compatible, thanks BaronMaupertuis for the reply!
I don’t know then. Does it happen with all your mags or just one in particular? Is it the first or second round only, or does the number of rounds in the mag not matter? Have you ever changed the springs in your mags? One way to find out if it might be a problem with your springs is to load only 4 rounds into each magazine and see if you have the same feeding problems.

If it makes you feel any better, Google “Hornady xtp feeding problems” and you’ll see that you’re apparently not the only one who has had problems with the XTPs.
It is very possible that its the springs being too long/loaded causing the issue, will try what you suggest! Yeah I have read that the XTP are quite pointy. Thanks again for your reply Hit Factor!
I used XTP in other calibers and noticed it has that more conical shape rather than the typical dome shape of the ball. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: pressed send by accident

I prefer HST, it has the dome shape of ball. In .380 I used XTP instead of HST because in that caliber it seemed to test better and I couldn’t find HST for a good price.
Thanks Ron Swanson for the reply! Def will try some HST, have had good experiences with HST in my 9mms
Go to the SAAMI web site, and pull up the spec for 45ACP. Grab your calipers, and measure how big the Hornady rounds are. It would surprise me if Hornady is outside the spec, but lots of companies in the gun industry are run by cowboys.


I use Speer Gold Dot in my 45, but it isn't a P220, it's a USP. I know they also feed perfectly in the neighbor's 1911s. I've also tried Winchester Ranger, same result. YMMV.


The P220 is a 50 year old design (which is why it is known as the P75 in Switzerland). It was intended as a law enforcement and military pistol (the successor to the P210 a.k.a. P49), meaning for ball ammo. Hornady is not a major manufacturer.
Thanks for the reply treelogger! Will check SAAMI for specs! Also will try the Speed Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger HP as a possible replacement!

Keep those responses up! Thanks!
 
I compared the feed lips of the 8rd to the 10rd mags and found the feed lip on the 8rd mags a bit narrower on them causing the snag, I ended up bending the outer feed lip outwards a tad like SteamedHams suggested and voila I now have no issues with my 8 rd mags and the XTPs! Thanks again for all the replies! Much appreciated!
 
Back
Top Bottom