18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Smallest CCW pistols on current 2026 CA handgun DOJ roster list please

Just get the SIG P365 and be done with it. You're getting 11 rounds of 9x19mm in a reasonably sized package with decent terminal ballistics. Other than that, the Ruger LCP Max is a great pocket gun that you can hit steel with at 25 yards. But it's still only a 380 out of a very short barrel; you may as well move up to 9x19mm and get the higher velocity from the start. You'll lose a bit out of the shorter P365 barrel, but even with velocity loss it's still better than 380. If you need a pocket gun, then the Ruger LCP Max is the way to go.

Friends don't let friends carry Kahr pistols. I'm 1 for 4 with them. I have the lower cost CM9 which I haven't shot in a decade or so. It does run so long as there are cartridges still in the magazine. The mags are so poorly made that they don't hold the rounds properly. I usually find the top cartridge in my mag holder at the end of the day. I just stopped carrying it and switched to the Glock 26 (and eventually the 43). That said, I still LOVE the ergonomics of the original K9 pistol! It was a fantastic fit, but it wouldn't run.
I have three Kahr pistols. The only one I had trouble running was the P380. I bought it for $250 not working in the middle of Covid. I messed with it a bunch and then finally sent it back to the factory and it’s run like a champ ever since. That said I also hand load so that might help but I also have a bunch of .380 factory ammunition and it eats it all.

I’m not a proponent of 380. I think it’s underpowered but the OP wanted to know what the smallest gun is and I think that’s it.

I carried an Sig P365 for almost 2 years. It’s a fantastic gun, but then people started lighting Tesla’s on fire because autistic man bad. I figure the world‘s gone crazy and started carrying a P229. 12+ one of 40 S&W does a much better job of stopping a whole lot of crazy.

I need to put it in jail with A 357 Sig barrel and then transferred it back to me and then qualify with it again. I really prefer 357SIG.
 
Left to right sorted by ease of carry (IMO) Ruger LC380 goes between the PM9 and the P229 (it’s really close to the PM9)

Thinness wise, the P380 has all the rest murdered.

IMG_0581.webp
 
I've looked into this and made a point to shoot small guns which would work concealed-carry.

I bought an LCP Max .380 ACP. It's a 10-round pocket gun and conceals well but snappy as-expected. I put a Hogue grip on it and am keen to see how it shoots with the new grip. I also added some choice M*CARBO parts myself. Very affordable! Great customer service from Ruger.

SIG P238 .380 ACP is a tiny 1911 but a little snappy. There is an all steel version out there which is on-roster but no longer in production. Pricier than the LCP Max by about double, at roughly $999. Holds maybe 6-7 rounds IIRC.

SIG P365 X Macro 9mm. Lots of upgrade options. Small but shoots well especially with its built-in comp if so-equpped. There is an off-roster .380 version if looking through classifieds, and some people have been able to re-DROS as .380 using a .380 conversion kit and the pawn shop method. Whether an IA would accept this is another story.

Brand new small 2011, the Staccato HD C3.6 chambered in 9mm, using 10rd Glock 19 mags. CA gets rhe "Preferred" edition, or the middle model. Brilliant aluminum-framed optic-ready carry-sized gun with bull barrel. On roster. Mine is in jail and I'm looking forward to shooting it. Pricey at about $2,499 but should be worth it. Optic plate is sold separately by Staccato for many optic footprints such as the popular RMR or SRO.

I have entirely different experience,
P238 is not snappy and it’s relatively the least snappy of the 380’s I’ve shot.

LCP Max, has slightly, very slightly more felt recoil, and that’s probably because it’s lighter.

Grip the gun firmly and use push/pull technique.

Snappy is the airweight j frame, this is not anything like that!
 
I've looked into this and made a point to shoot small guns which would work concealed-carry.

I bought an LCP Max .380 ACP. It's a 10-round pocket gun and conceals well but snappy as-expected. I put a Hogue grip on it and am keen to see how it shoots with the new grip. I also added some choice M*CARBO parts myself. Very affordable! Great customer service from Ruger.

SIG P238 .380 ACP is a tiny 1911 but a little snappy. There is an all steel version out there which is on-roster but no longer in production. Pricier than the LCP Max by about double, at roughly $999. Holds maybe 6-7 rounds IIRC.

SIG P365 X Macro 9mm. Lots of upgrade options. Small but shoots well especially with its built-in comp if so-equpped. There is an off-roster .380 version if looking through classifieds, and some people have been able to re-DROS as .380 using a .380 conversion kit and the pawn shop method. Whether an IA would accept this is another story.

Brand new small 2011, the Staccato HD C3.6 chambered in 9mm, using 10rd Glock 19 mags. CA gets rhe "Preferred" edition, or the middle model. Brilliant aluminum-framed optic-ready carry-sized gun with bull barrel. On roster. Mine is in jail and I'm looking forward to shooting it. Pricey at about $2,499 but should be worth it. Optic plate is sold separately by Staccato for many optic footprints such as the popular RMR or SRO.
LOL "snappy"

Hold it tighter. It'll be fine and you can shoot fast with it.
 
This is a good thread, thinking of a pocket pistol as all mine are full-size. I’ve been looking at the p365. My brother has a hellcat, I didn’t like it very much.
The P365 seems to be good. The only issue is the trigger spring is known to fail after a few thousand rounds.

I acquired an XL and standard. I like the XL grip module with the short slide. It carries well. I like the XL too; it's about 3/4" shorter in length than a Browning Hi Power, but almost exactly the same height. A long slide version would make a good Hi Power replacement in terms of capability only.
 
I have three Kahr pistols. The only one I had trouble running was the P380. I bought it for $250 not working in the middle of Covid. I messed with it a bunch and then finally sent it back to the factory and it’s run like a champ ever since. That said I also hand load so that might help but I also have a bunch of .380 factory ammunition and it eats it all.

I’m not a proponent of 380. I think it’s underpowered but the OP wanted to know what the smallest gun is and I think that’s it.

I carried an Sig P365 for almost 2 years. It’s a fantastic gun, but then people started lighting Tesla’s on fire because autistic man bad. I figure the world‘s gone crazy and started carrying a P229. 12+ one of 40 S&W does a much better job of stopping a whole lot of crazy.

I need to put it in jail with A 357 Sig barrel and then transferred it back to me and then qualify with it again. I really prefer 357SIG.
Heh...Kahr is still letting problematic pistols out of their factory. I tried for a long time to get one that worked. Finally found one (CM9) that I got on a Black Friday sale for $209. But, the mags are junk and it was just a pocket gun for mailbox runs. I gave up, though I still have the gun.

Go immediately anywhere and get that 357 SIG barrel!!! It's an absolute tack driver. My P229 was absurdly accurate in 357 SIG.
 
I'm looking for a list of the absolutely smallest (all dimensions) new CCW pistols, regardless of ammo caliber, on the current California DOJ list. You can post a list here or post link to an external list. Deeply appreciated.

Also, please provide a list of past-made super small used pistols that may be available off-roster that are also CA legal (that are grandfathered in).

Thank you!

Quite Handy

glock43/43x(mine hehe), 48, m&p shield plus, shieldX, m&p bodyguard, m&p 2.0 compact, hk cc9, p365 xmacro, canik mc9, ruger max9 & rxm. Hmm, there’s so much to choose from.
 
LOL "snappy"

Hold it tighter. It'll be fine and you can shoot fast with it.
All of the little guns are pretty snappy but I come from much heavier and longer CZ guns. I did like the LCP Max enough to buy one.

The reason people are advising one to hold a smaller gun like the LCP Max more tightly with a push-pull method is because these little guns are snappy. That's just physics. This is also why some people call them "Get off me" guns.

I really didn't like the Hellcat and the Bersa Firestorm was the worst small gun I've shot. So, some are better than others. I love my CZ TS2 Orange because of how flat it shoots, and it's super accurate. These small guns are still new for me as I vet them in anticipation of getting my CCW license.

Looking forward to shooting the LCP Max again with the Hogue grip, a tighter grip, and whatever the push-pull method is. Time to check YouTube.
 
Last edited:
Heh...Kahr is still letting problematic pistols out of their factory. I tried for a long time to get one that worked. Finally found one (CM9) that I got on a Black Friday sale for $209. But, the mags are junk and it was just a pocket gun for mailbox runs. I gave up, though I still have the gun.

Go immediately anywhere and get that 357 SIG barrel!!! It's an absolute tack driver. My P229 was absurdly accurate in 357 SIG.
I have the 357 Sig barrel. No question it is an absolute tack driver of a round. Also, it’s inherently difficult to fail to feed because of it neck design. But that’s not why I think it’s a better round. It’s the terminal ballistics that are just fantastic.

My IA will not allow me to carry in 357Sig unless the gun was chambered in 357 sig when transferred to me. Then I can qualify with it and change the gun on my license.


Here’s a question for the CCW gurus… how about if I put the 357Sig barrel in it and then transfer it to my wife. Then she qualifies with it. Would I be able to carry it in both 357 and in .40 Smith and Wesson?
 
LOL "snappy"

Hold it tighter. It'll be fine and you can shoot fast with it.
Imo, improper grip is the cause of Khar’s FTF issues. Ruger and Smith make their .380’s sloppy AF to deal with that. It’s not a matter of hold tighter. It’s contact area and web to bore axis With an improper grip just holding tighter makes things worse.
 
If you can ever find a KelTec P32 in .32ACP, available only via PPT in Cali; you will have pretty much the smallest, lightest, for the most part reliable pocket pistol that you can possibly carry. Load it with some hotter European rounds to avoid rim lock and give it some oomph; and you’ll be a happy pocket carrier.
 
All of the little guns are pretty snappy but I come from much heavier and longer CZ guns. I did like the LCP Max enough to buy one.

The reason people are advising one to hold a smaller gun like the LCP Max more tightly with a push-pull method is because these little guns are snappy. That's just physics. This is also why some people call them "Get off me" guns.

I really didn't like the Hellcat and the Bersa Firestorm was the worst small gun I've shot. So, some are better than others. I love my CZ TS2 Orange because of how flat it shoots, and it's super accurate. These small guns are still new for me as I vet them in anticipation of getting my CCW license.

Looking forward to shooting the LCP Max again with the Hogue grip, a tighter grip, and whatever the push-pull method is. Time to check YouTube.

I happen to like the LCP Max and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I bought it because I liked the LCP II 22lr a lot and thought the 380 cartridge can only make it better which I do feel it is better but for someone that complains about the 380 recoil, I would suggest the 22 lr.

My LCP II 22 lr has been more reliable than my MK IV Target using the same junk ammo. It's not as accurate but it sure is reliable.

Before even firing it, I did replace the extractor at the recommendations I read on the web and since day 1 it's been exceptional. I just don't care for the safety and would love if they copied the outer dimensions of the frame and slide of the LCP Max and made it into a 22 lr. That would be such a sweet gun I'd buy two!
 
All of the little guns are pretty snappy but I come from much heavier and longer CZ guns. I did like the LCP Max enough to buy one.

The reason people are advising one to hold a smaller gun like the LCP Max more tightly with a push-pull method is because these little guns are snappy. That's just physics. This is also why some people call them "Get off me" guns.

I really didn't like the Hellcat and the Bersa Firestorm was the worst small gun I've shot. So, some are better than others. I love my CZ TS2 Orange because of how flat it shoots, and it's super accurate. These small guns are still new for me as I vet them in anticipation of getting my CCW license.

Looking forward to shooting the LCP Max again with the Hogue grip, a tighter grip, and whatever the push-pull method is. Time to check YouTube.
The LCP Max is definitely a get off me gun, and one of the best pocket pistols even amongst off-roster guns, it's biggest competitor being the bodyguard 2.0.

I personally felt like the LCP Max was snappier and harder to shoot than the Bersa Firestorm because as you said, can't beat the physics. But the higher capacity, lighter weight, better sights, and smaller size certainly outweighs the increased recoil.
 
The P365 is probably the best all around EDC you can find. I personally dont think its all that snappy. But its certainly more snappy than my full size P320 XFive. That said, learning proper grip (with both hands) is imperative. Sort your proper grip, and it will be a 100% non issue. Theres plenty of youtube videos out there for that.
 
I really didn't like the Hellcat and the Bersa Firestorm was the worst small gun I've shot. So, some are better than others. I love my CZ TS2 Orange because of how flat it shoots, and it's super accurate. These small guns are still new for me as I vet them in anticipation of getting my CCW license.
For me, the SIG P230 was awful. That does not mean it wasn't a quality and precision firearm. I am left handed and the decocker interfered with my trigger finger.

Another bad design is the CZ P10C. The top part of the tang smashes my thumb knuckle with every shot. That area needs to be relieved. Additionally, I have an early gun whose magazine release is extremely stiff. CZ fixed that in a later version.

The strategy I use for choosing my CA permit guns is: 1) pocket, 2) small, easy to conceal 9mm, 3) full size.

The Ruger LCP is an excellent choice for those days that your back hurts, you're sick, and generally hate life, but your brain demands you carry any way. Put it into a DeSantis SuperFly and carry a spare magazine in a Remora mag holder in another pocket.

For the second one, I definitely recommend the SIG P356 (as previously mentioned). Another is the Glock 26. You may find the G26 dominates carry time; I carried mine for at least a decade. You can even pocket carry it if you do it right (polymer pocket holster from FIST or Alabama holster) and a rag stuffed around it. Unfortunately, you may not be able to acquire a Glock 26, which is why I recommend the P365. Additionally, you can get the XL slide and XL grip modules and mix an match. Carry it in "compact" mode with the small grip and short slide. Switch out the slide and now you have a SIG P365L (short frame, long slide). Build the "Commander" version (AKA P365X) on an XL grip module with short slide (I love this version). Create a belt gun version with the XL frame and slide. All these variations use the same serialized FCU. If I could have only one gun on the permit and I wanted a small carry gun, I would have to choose between the SIG P365 and Glock 26.

The only caveat with the P365 is to buy a few spring kits. It's known to break the trigger spring every few thousand rounds. It's not difficult to replace, but it takes the gun down. The Glock 26 is well known to be durable. Parts are easily ordered and installed.

Your last gun should be a gun you would use for home defense or a heavy caliber gun for outdoors use. It depends upon your goal; if you don't hike then 9x19mm makes more sense than 44 Magnum. Some good examples are the 1911, Glock 17, Beretta 92, Walther PDP, S&W 686 in 357 Magnum, or something in 44 Magnum or 45 Colt.
 
Last edited:
The LCP Max is definitely a get off me gun, and one of the best pocket pistols even amongst off-roster guns, it's biggest competitor being the bodyguard 2.0.

I personally felt like the LCP Max was snappier and harder to shoot than the Bersa Firestorm because as you said, can't beat the physics. But the higher capacity, lighter weight, better sights, and smaller size certainly outweighs the increased recoil.
The Bersas are a blowback design, so they will kick more than the tilting barrel Browning recoil design of the P238 and LCPs, which compensates somewhat for the "physics". Sometimes you CAN fool mother nature!
 
Back
Top Bottom