18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Smith 686 PLUS 3-5-7 vs. Performance Series 686 Plus

spacecataz

Well-known member
Messages
161
Hey all. I recently purchased a 686 Plus 3-5-7 with the 5" barrel. I've got about 200 rounds thru it so far, and I like it but I'm not 100% on it, and I can't quite articulate as to why. The trigger is a little long and heavy (which can be worked out) and it's not quite as 'balanced' feeling in the hand as I'd like. It's this one >> 686 3-5-7

I was thinking of switching to the Performance Series 686 Plus (or the Pro Series version of it). >> 686 PC Pro.

Anyone have any thoughts on the latter gun, or any experience with it? I do like the 5" barrel length for a .357 Magnum. DO I need to look at another brand?
 
What exactly are the “upgrades” between the Pro series and the standard production examples? From what I read in the linked description, that weapon is in between the base and performance series. There are some very basic upgrades that can be done to the version you have that require the services of a good, experienced gunsmith, however IME the revolver should have at least 1K rounds, double-action through it before doing anything other than stocks or sights. That will allow the moving parts to smooth up a bit, and you may find that the trigger pull values become consistent.
What exactly what do you want to do with it?
 
Something as simple as a grip change can make all the difference. I have the 686 SSR (4”) that came with beautiful wood grips but it just didn’t feel right. Switched to the larger rubber grips that it came with and it was a night & day difference. Yours being a 5” and an unfluted cylinder would add more forward weight than mine so it’s not quite apples to apples.

You have a beautiful pistol there and I hope you can work it out. I also agree with Malibu if it’s just a matter of the action not feeling right.
 
Something as simple as a grip change can make all the difference. I have the 686 SSR (4”) that came with beautiful wood grips but it just didn’t feel right. Switched to the larger rubber grips that it came with and it was a night & day difference. Yours being a 5” and an unfluted cylinder would add more forward weight than mine so it’s not quite apples to apples.

You have a beautiful pistol there and I hope you can work it out. I also agree with Malibu if it’s just a matter of the action not feeling right.

I did go to Hogue rubber grips and that was a big improvement. The stock grips looked good, did not feel good and gave too little purchase on the gun.
 
What exactly are the “upgrades” between the Pro series and the standard production examples? From what I read in the linked description, that weapon is in between the base and performance series. There are some very basic upgrades that can be done to the version you have that require the services of a good, experienced gunsmith, however IME the revolver should have at least 1K rounds, double-action through it before doing anything other than stocks or sights. That will allow the moving parts to smooth up a bit, and you may find that the trigger pull values become consistent.
What exactly what do you want to do with it?

My local gunsmith asked me to put at least 500 rounds through it before I want anything done. Understandable.

I'm just doing target shooting out to about 40~ yards. Outdoors with steel when I can. My Single-action is excellent for this and I love it, I'm just looking for a slightly different flavor with a DA revolver and a shorter barrel.
 
My local gunsmith asked me to put at least 500 rounds through it before I want anything done. Understandable.

I'm just doing target shooting out to about 40~ yards. Outdoors with steel when I can. My Single-action is excellent for this and I love it, I'm just looking for a slightly different flavor with a DA revolver and a shorter barrel.
I have a pair of the 2020 Colt Python revolvers, 3” & 4”. The double-action pulls on both are very good as from the factory. The single-action pulls did both require adjustment for proper sear engagement, which helped when making those longer precise shots when there is enough time. You might consider going that route. If you get one and wish to really run it, there are some other basic upgrades that will make the experience much better, IMO:

* Remove the serrations from the face of the trigger.
* Wilson Combat front and rear sights.
* Chamfer cylinder to remove sharp edges when inserting cartridges.
* Relieve left side stock panel enough to accommodate speed loaders.

The issue with the single-action sear engagement on the modern Python can best be visualized by very carefully watching the hammer when the trigger is pulled: the hammer will actually move BACK (very slightly) before it starts going forward. As the Colt Python is stock from the factory, discerning revolver shooters usually notice that the single-action trigger pulls on S&W revolvers are much better in comparison, but their double-action pulls are not as nice as that of the modern Colts. Something to consider.
 
What exactly are the “upgrades” between the Pro series and the standard production examples? From what I read in the linked description, that weapon is in between the base and performance series. There are some very basic upgrades that can be done to the version you have that require the services of a good, experienced gunsmith, however IME the revolver should have at least 1K rounds, double-action through it before doing anything other than stocks or sights. That will allow the moving parts to smooth up a bit, and you may find that the trigger pull values become consistent.
What exactly what do you want to do with it?

Pro models are hand fitted and inspected compared to standard batch. They also have polished triggers with rounded edges, can accept moon clips and use more forged internal parts instead of MIM.
 
Pro models are hand fitted and inspected compared to standard batch. They also have polished triggers with rounded edges, can accept moon clips and use more forged internal parts instead of MIM.
OK, sounds good.
While I use a few Smith’s with moon clips (625’s) they are pretty much range/hunting arms. I find that tactically, the use of clips is/can be an issue, unless they are the two-round variety, if in a six-round cylinder.
 
As the Colt Python is stock from the factory, discerning revolver shooters usually notice that the single-action trigger pulls on S&W revolvers are much better in comparison, but their double-action pulls are not as nice as that of the modern Colts. Something to consider.
Interesting distinction. I've had the 4" Ruger GP100 twice now, and I also noticed the Smiths generally do have better SA trigger pulls but longer DA pulls compared to those.

I think what I'm trying to get across that I may not have articulated in my post was that aside from the modifications people have mentioned, I think the base feel of the gun in my hand itself is something I'm mostly concerned with, rather than fine details. Grips have much to do with that, as others have said.

Interestingly enough I was in a local Army/Navy and picked up a Smith Model 19 on a whim. That seemed to sit a little bit more to my liking almost right off the bat. It might be best to go to a range with a few different models and try them all back to back. I guess I just have to try some stuff out a little more. :)
 
Interestingly enough I was in a local Army/Navy and picked up a Smith Model 19 on a whim. That seemed to sit a little bit more to my liking almost right off the bat. It might be best to go to a range with a few different models and try them all back to back. I guess I just have to try some stuff out a little more. :)
Got it.
Whichever model that works best for your particular hand structure, grip, etc. you will likely shoot better. For some of mine, grips (stocks) must be smooth, while others do well with finger grooves. For me it depends on the trigger reach, and shape of the grip frame. I have a Korth, for example, that has very nice stocks with finger grooves. That particular revolver shape allows me to get a higher hold, thus being very good for DA shooting. A Smith I own needed the finger grooves filed down to achieve the best hold. My 2020 Pythons have a good set of stocks, but needed some relief work to accommodate speed loaders. It really is an individual preference for whatever works best for each user.
The S&W Model 19 is a classic design that has worked very well for many over the years. They are a joy to use in DA mode, and are not too heavy for extended carry. If you acquire one, you can always use mainly .38 S&W Special in it to become proficient without the sting or cost of the magnum rounds.
 
Ya... if has that hole...no thanks.

It isn't make or break with me, but I definitely don't prefer it that's for sure. Funny how the initial backlash over that design was so bad it almost killed the company. People were pissed.
 
I would avoid the new ones. Smith and Wesson quality just isn't what it used to be.
 
Back
Top Bottom